Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2005, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

YAY for Sun Corals

Well, I'm sitting in my dorm room, bored and somewhat homesick, so I started flipping through the directories of pictures I have online of our tank(s) and decided that its about time for me to show off my Sun Corals.

Goodness these things are spectacular.

And they fight over their food. How cute.

This one is sort of a pig. Haha, who am I kidding, there are over 10 mysis shrimp in its mouth. I didnt target feed it that much, but we have some vermatid snails growing on the rock these are on, and their net/webbing dragged over it, and it said "mmm food".

We started off keeping sun corals with a three polyped frag in our 40gal reef. My mom was looking for brilliant red, but this was the best I could do at the time, and at $8, I thought it was a steel - just over 2 bucks a polyp. Then we found a 30+ polyp frag from the same guy for $25. Snatched that up. Even in the 40gal tank these looked miniscule, but definately added a pop of color. When we moved to the 150, they were barely visible, but were out during the day and night. The color was still great but we needed more (hey, I can stop at any time, seriously, I CAN, if I want...) and I bought a 180+ polyped colony for $47 (then subtract b-day money, pet club discount, gift certificate, and you get to $27 for the whole shebang). We fragged off a small patch of them (15 polyps) and split the two remaining colonies so they'd be easier to place. The right side of the tank is awesome, because only about 20 polyps are visible from the front. You have to walk to the side (which coincidentally is the side that you see walking up to the tank from anywhere in the house) and they are all there. The color is amazing and they are ALL opening.

It took about 2 weeks for the largest colony of them to open reliably, if at all, because of the fragging with a dremel. Stress is a bad thing. Now they open when we feed the tank, at night, when we scrap algae from the glass, for no reason at all. Honestly they are open more than they are closed. Its great, because though their color is spectacular closed, they are even more amazing when they are open.

They get target fed every Monday and Friday with the rest of the LPS in the tank with a total of 3 cubes of mysis. They are hidden enough that they get their fill of food before the fish can snatch any and the cleaner shrimp doesnt even see the feeding tube go into the tank. I love the Kent Nautilus feeding tube - its like a turkey baster on steroids. Makes target feeding a breeze and I dont get wet and salty during the feeding process.
Old 08/27/2005, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

your suns are gorgeous!! i love my sun & plan on getting more.
Old 08/28/2005, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

If I show these to the wife maybe she'll lay off wanting blue zoos. I have looked at these but have not seen any as nice.
Old 08/28/2005, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scorp1on
If I show these to the wife maybe she'll lay off wanting blue zoos. I have looked at these but have not seen any as nice.
I recently got some blue zoos on a colony of 4 varieties of zoas. In my opinion, and keep in mind that I am a zoo guy at heart, blue zoos cant compare to the bright popping color these have. Those pictures are edited only to adjust white balance as our camera only has three presets, and to crop to size. The color is true.

When I first started asking about them, I read that they needed to be fed every day. This was a problem as we already had nutrient problems, and that wouldnt do. I did feed them every day for about a week or so to acclimate them to the tank, but after that, its twice a week and we still see new babies pop up here and there. If you get them, start feeding every day and start backing off a bit after a week or two, and then see how it goes. You'll be able to tell when they are unhappy.

And as I mentioned above, I think I got lucky having ones that open during the day. I've read thread after thread of people complaining about them being out only at night and frankly I've never noticed that.

So from the guy who loves his zoos, I'm gonna reccomend that if you can find some cheaply, go for it. This is one purchase I've never regretted.
Old 08/28/2005, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

You are right. They are spectacular!
Old 09/10/2005, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful!!! I love my sun coral. I would like to get a black sun coral one day.

My username was msim001s and I had a lionfish avatar - I needed a change!