Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 09/08/2005, 06:05 PM
reefaholic

Question blue throat trigger too shy to come out and eat

I picked up a small blue throat trigger that looks healthy, but it is so terrified that it only comes out when I leave the room - I set up a webcam to watch the tank so I can see it come out after I leave. I wasn't too worried at first, but I am now worried that it isn't getting anything to eat. Any tips on how to get him to come out? Failing that, how to feed him without being in the room? I tried just putting in mysis and leaving the room, but it takes him a while to come out and by then the food is on the bottom and he doesn't go for it.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 09/08/2005, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

How long have you had him?

Blue throats tend to be very shy. Once he becomes more comfortable, and has his 'hidey-hole' that he can retreat to, he should become more bold, especially at dinnertime. Mine is a pig, but flees and hides anytime he sees something strange or unusual.

Mine loves nori, maybe try that? Then he can eat it whenever he likes.

He has a great personality though, it just took him a bit to overcome the extreme shyness.
Old 09/08/2005, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Shy Blue Throat Trigger

I have a Pink Tailed Trigger, who took about 10 days before he made much of an appearance. I feed him 4 shell on cockles each day. If you plop one of those in the fish will eventually come out to eat it, and realise that the place to eat is out on the sand.
Triggers naturally hang out in caves and crevices anyway, using their Trigger (dorsal fin) to wedge themselves in place.
Mine ets Flake Nori, pretty much anything. Mine is still a bit jumpy, but knows I am the food supply!!
Old 09/09/2005, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Maybe you can try to direct feed it by placing a peice of silverside near its cave with the powerheads off?
Old 09/09/2005, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

They are easily spooked IMO, give it a few days and it will start eating everything you add.
Old 09/10/2005, 07:45 AM
Moved On

I always wanted one of these blue troat triggers are they okay in a sps tank?
Old 09/10/2005, 07:46 AM
Moved On

Are they aggresive toward other reef save fishes?
Old 09/10/2005, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I have a pair of them..... They are such lovely fish.... they do not fight and they are not agressive to any fishes in my tank(not even to the smaller fishes)... best of all they do not bother any of my corals

Old 09/10/2005, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

greg i got one last week these fish are very shy and will come out eventully mine took a week to come out but when he was in the rocks i could see him munchin some mysis and silver sides they love silver sides keep us posted with the progress