Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2005, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Hair Algae in Sandbed

This is driving me nuts. My sandbed is more than my front yard. The hair algae is everywhere, my water is at NH3-4 0 NO2 0 NO3 10-15. I have only used RO/DI water in this tank since it started 2 months ago. I feed the fish only frozen mysis, brine, and krill. I have tried removing clumps of the hair by hand, but it comes back just as strong as it was before in a day or two and keeps growing. I have a Kole Tang that won't touch the stuff, 4 turbo snails that do some good, 4 astrea that don't go anywhere near the sand, and 30 nassarius snails to help keep the sand stirred up. I am afraid to add any corals at this point because I fear the algae will overrun them. The tank is 180 gallons with 4x110 Actinic VHO and 2x250 MH. I am skimming with 2 skimmers and getting a dark green liquid, but I am not getting too much of it. Is there anything that will the stuff off the sand. Is there a better way to remove the nightmare. Please help me.
Thanks,
Tate
Old 09/09/2005, 11:41 AM
Buckeye Fan

Two tips:
Nitrate and Phosphates grow unwanted algea. First thing is you need to lower your nitrate level

Grow some macro algea in a refugium, that will take care of the nitrate.

Run some of the iron based phosphate media.
Rowaphos, Phosban, etc. They both work well.

Right know I would bet the nitrates are what are causing your problem.

It's better to burnout, than to fade away. Neil Young
Old 09/09/2005, 02:05 PM
Sea cowgirl

First, lets try to get rid of some of the sources of the nitrate and phosphate that you must have in your system to support such awesome (forgive me, I like algaes, lol) algae growth. You didnt post a phosphate reading, but there is undoubtedly some of it in your water. Since you're using RO, thats not a really suspect source.

Two steps I would try before going with the phosphate binders..
1) You're feeding frozen food. If you're not already, allow this to thaw outside of the tank and then rinse it in some RO heavily before you add it to your tank. The 'juice' can be absolutely loaded with organics.
2) Feed a little bit less, or less often, than you are now. Try every other day instead of every day, or simply cut their food intake in half. if you have a lot of fish it could be hard to ensure they are all getting a fair share so you may need to target feed the shyer ones.

Good luck with the algae war! If the alternative food prep steps dont help then I would consider adding on a fuge with macroalgae and then a phosphate binder if you want to go that route.

Have fun!
>Sarah
Old 09/10/2005, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

I started thawing the food outside of the tank yesterday morning, and I can already see a big improvement. If I can find the space for it I think I may do a refugium, but they may have to wait another paycheck or two. Thank you very much for your advice.
,Tate