Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2005, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Bleached Frogspawn

Hey everyone, I was hoping you guys could help. I have a 3-headed Frogspawn that looks slightly bleached. I read this article, and mine looks like this, but a little greener (from the article):

When I feed it, it colors up again, but I think that could be because it scrunches together, and the zooxanthelle is in a higher concentration. I read that temperature could be a problem, and my temp was at 86 for a week or so. It's now down to 83-84 during the day and 83 at night. Could that be the problem?

Here are some tank params:

Temperature: see above
SG: 1.025
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: testing
Ca: 520ppm (too high? How do I lower it?)
Alk: testing, but is around 3.5meq/L (last test was last week, last dosing was last week...only 1 SPS and 1 LPS in the system)

My parameters aren't too great, since I've been away a lot, so I am working on fixing them, but everything else is doing great. I have a few softies and leathers, zoanthids, and a digitata and this Frogspawn.

Any advice?

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 08/11/2005, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

You can make it out in the pic, to the lower left of the xenia, and right of the Foxface:

Old 08/11/2005, 07:52 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

The heat may have some to do with it but I am wondering on what you are running for lights. Looks pretty bright in the tank. Not to mention it looks like it is directly under the bulbs.
Old 08/11/2005, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

250w Ushio 10k...should I move it down?

Old 08/11/2005, 08:14 PM

If I read your info correctly you are running 250 watts over a 20 long? If so that is 12.5 watts per gallon, way to much light, the reason for it bleaching. Move it to a shady place our of direct light or raise the halides.
Old 08/11/2005, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

No, that is my plan. I'll have that completed by October. Right now, it's in the 135, I'd say 18" under the halide. I will move it to a shady spot and stabilize the parameters.

Old 08/11/2005, 08:28 PM
RC Mod

I'd agree with the lighting issue. Euphyllia really don't appreciate bright lighting. The heat is not great, it probably pushed it over the edge.
Old 08/11/2005, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the speedy help guys...I'll go move it down now and see how it does over the next few days.

Old 08/12/2005, 09:37 AM
Gold Digger

Looking at the pic it seems your flow is pretty high judgeing from the xenia, both my frogspawn and torch get pretty upset if they are in high flow...maybe something to consider.
Old 08/12/2005, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

The Frogspawn was not in high flow, it was protected by the rocks...occasionally it would blow around a little. It was in flow just strong enough to keep it moving. Is that bad?

Anyways, I moved it here:

Old 08/12/2005, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I have a 2 head frogspawn that looks bleached just like yours tsquad. Mine is under only 130 watts pc and on the sandbed. Does anyone know if this would still be too much light? It is not under much flow so I'm puzzled as to why it bleached. Any suggestions on how to get it to color up again?
Old 08/13/2005, 09:37 AM

4.4 Watts per gallon should be ok. I am running exactly 4 watts per gallon of PC's in my 55 and my 6 headed frogspawn is full of color. Try movingit down furforfour.
Old 09/10/2005, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help guys. A little late, but the Frogspawn is no longer bleached, and is growing.