Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/07/2005, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

What's wrong with my fairy wrasse??

I have a Lubbock's fairy wrasse, and he's absolutely gorgeous. Today he didn't come out for feeding and for him that's totally out of the ordinary. I've had this guy for about 4 months and he's been healthy as a horse. Just yesterday I noticed how his color was getting more vibrant. He's living in a covered 20g with a CPR backpack skimmer and 2 Maxijet 1200s. The sand bed is approx 2" deep and I have between 30 and 40 lbs of live rock for him to graze pods off of. My tank specs are all normal (Sg is at 1.024 and the temp is 78 during the day and 77 at night... Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-0, Alk 2.9, Calcium 460 and PH 8.2) I did a water change yesterday and the tank looks great. He is housed with a small Clarkii clown, that chases him out of his territory, but that's the extent of it. Other than that they get along great. I have a cleaner shrimp and a small orange star that are both doing great and if I was having water trouble they would be the first to show signs of stress. I looked all over the wrasse's body today and he wasn't showing any sign of ich. I don't know what else to say. He's lying in the sand and not moving very much and yesterday he was 100% fine. Can someone please help??? This is my favorite fish.
Old 09/07/2005, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 09/08/2005, 12:01 AM
Insane Reefer

Becky,
Unfortunately there are many things that can be a problem. Hopefully it is just a bit under the weather and will return to its normal self in a day or so.

What do you feed your fish and how often?
While lying on the sand, does its eye(s) follow you as if it is alert to its surroundings?

Of the information you posted, it may be the Clarkii, as one of the largest clown species, at even a juvenile size it will begin to expand its territory.
Larger clown fish species have been known to claim an area as large as a 75gal.

Ed
Old 09/08/2005, 12:04 AM
hobbyist

Hard to say really. My lineatus will sometimes lay under a rock when I feed the tank. Other times he's out grabbing as much food as he can. If the tank conditons are good and the fish is showing no outward signs of illness, it may just be a temporary thing. Not sure about the color intensifying. My sense is that if the fish were ill, the color would be faded. Mine gets pretty vibrant from time to time, particularly if annoyed by another fish. It could be possible that the wrasse was spooked by something and was just laying low.
Old 09/08/2005, 12:10 AM
Insane Reefer

Jerry,
Fading color can be a sign of poor health, but so can brighter than normal coloration.

One of the rules for selecting livestock is to avoid any fish that seems too bright for its species.

It's a hard one to explain, but if you every come across a sick fish that is exceptionally colorful you'll understand.
I wish I had some comparison shots.

Ed
Old 09/08/2005, 12:22 AM
hobbyist

Thanks Ed,
I recall now having heard that before, but never had an explanation as to why this happens. I'm wondering if it might be harder to determine with fish like male fairy wrasses, given the range of color intensity they can display?
Old 09/08/2005, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

I feed the tank once daily, with mysis, cyclopeeze, Formula 1, Spectrum pellets etc etc... I vary the food from day to day. I can't tell whether or not his eyes are following me because I don't have a clear view of him. I can't think of anything else to add. This isn't like him to hide for so long... He hides from everyone but me (he doesn't venture out for my husband) Yesterday he was doing great... He doesn't mind the clarkii... When the clarkii gets in one of her moods, he just goes into a hole in the rocks. The clarkii never follows him for long, just to get the wrasse away from his corner...
Old 09/08/2005, 07:55 AM
Insane Reefer

Jerry,
As we all love this hobby for the incredible colors represented and we've all witnessed fish that are a cut above the rest, when a sick fish displays bright colors, it almost looks as if there is a glow or if it is leaking into the water.
As I stated, very hard to explain, (for lack on my part) but if you're ever at the LFS and witness this, this very thread will pop back into your mind.

Becky,
Your diet sounds good, but as you mention more about the Clarkii, the more I think it is the culprit.
Your Wrasse is quite shy, and with only one threat or attack it may have scared it enough in to submission.
Often territorial disputes are worse when the tank is not being viewed, the fish feel more natural not seeing the large predator or feeding entity outside their window.
As the Clown becomes more territorial it may show a presence that will keep your Wrasse from coming out of hiding.

If you can catch the Wrasse, try putting it in a hospital tank for a few days and check its behavior.

Ed
Old 09/08/2005, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

I don't know whats happening with your fairy, but I do know that feeding only one time a day is probably not enough. They need at least two small meals a day and three "small" meals are even better. Good luck to you and I hope the fairy gets back to normal.
Old 09/08/2005, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

I think most fish if fed properly can be fed daily. (with the exception of good few)
Old 09/09/2005, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

I've got a Lubbock's, they're wonderful fish. Mine is quite shy - the clown goby, who is less than half her size, pushes her around. Clarkiis can be really bossy, I wonder if your wrasse is just too frightened to come out?
As long as he's chubby I wouldn't worry about feeding only once a day; my wrasse spends a lot of time chasing pods in the rocks between meals. She's usually only fed once a day (and sometimes I skip a day) and is by no stretch of the imagination skinny