Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 12/29/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

What would you do ????????

If you where to start cycling your NEW tank, what would you do?

Start up the Kalkwasser reactor with the ATO and the Calcium reactor?

Or do nothing at all?

Happy New Years to all of you !!!!!!

Old 12/30/2007, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

Hello
I'd start with the Kalk reactor, and leave the Ca reactor for later..
Old 12/31/2007, 02:55 AM
Premium Member

I would start with all the equipment I would ever need...

Do you have a front shot???
Old 12/31/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

As has been the case with my many set ups, personal and for clients, I would set up the ato for sure. The calcium reactor on the other hand would only be put online to make sure that the equipment is running properly and that I truly knew all the ins and outs of the machine. Following this I would back it down until the cycle was over. Then when you begin to stock the system you adjust the reactor according to the needs of the inhabitants as well as the needs of proper water conditions. Hope this helps.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

If this is your first SW tank then forget all the gadets for a little while and get the basics down. With no stock and new tank they wont be needed and by the time you may even need them you will be alot more ready and much more unconfused. With all that you need to do for a successfull reef tank adding more then needed just comlicates things.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

The tank has cycled, I had the Kalkwasser reactor online with the ATO.

I did some water test and prior to hooking up the Kalk reactor my PH was 7.8, so I turned on the Kalk reactor thinking I could raise the PH some what and this is what I ended up with.

My Alk level is DKL 16.0 - 75.71 Meg/L

PH 8.8

I was hooking up my Calcium reactor and I had a problem with the system and had to mail it back for some repairs. I was thinking that if I hooked it up I could balance out the ALk and PH.

SO I disconnected the Kalk because of the PH level is at 8.8

The calcium level is 0.31 ML = 345

I know I need to bump the calcium back up when I recive the reactor.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

I'm the founding President of, "The Tank Last Club". The ideas of our founding fathers are. Research the type of livestock your planning on keeping. Be it Softies, LPS, SPS or a mixed reef, and don't forget the fish. Then precede to acquire all the equipment to make your journey a success.... The less stress you and your livestock have to endure the better???

The time you take in equipment purchases will give you a better understanding on your system and how it works. You will have to research things like skimmer size, calcium reactor size. Chiller, if needed, and the all important lighting.. This will also help in not wasting your money on future upgrades. Which can be a drain on the wallet, and mentally defeating...

I'm not saying it can't be done on a budget. although that will take more time on your behalf, to accomplish a success journey into this wonderful hobby.

In closing I started 20 years ago by purchasing my first 240 gallon
on the idea that I could fill it with water and go. Boy was I wrong, my sites were set high and the lack of equipment didn't help... I sold that system and was out of the hobby for about a year. during that time I was planning my next system. It was over a year to acquire all the equipment. I bought the tank last, wasn't going to make the same mistake again..

My current 500 gallon has been running for about 21/2 years. It to was about a year in planning, and it was just an upgrade from my 280 gallon. The system pretty much takes care of itself. Sure I do weekly water changes, and tinker around about 2-3 hours a week. But it is rock solid in water parameters, thanks to all the pre-purchased equipment...

Happy Reefing