Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/16/2007, 11:20 PM
Standpipe Guy

Took a few macro images the other day during my inspection for red bugs after the treatment was completed. A few of them were worth posting about:

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 02/16/2007, 11:38 PM
Carpe Noctem

I would agree. Definately worth posting Nice!
Old 02/17/2007, 12:39 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
I would agree. Definately worth posting Nice!
Thanks! Figured I'd take some pictures of these pests before I took them out with the Aiptasia Control:

Old 02/17/2007, 12:47 AM
Standpipe Guy

Need to give a special thank you to Tedu for hooking me up with an OEM clone of the Sensaphone. A device that can monitor high and low temperatures (room or water), electrical status, audio status (detect other alarms). Has a voice synthesizer to tell you current conditions. I haven't tested it yet, but it will also have the ability to call multiple numbers and via speech tell you what it has detected which is pretty nice. Looking forward to getting this device hooked up with a few sensors.

Old 02/17/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Where did you locate this clone at?

Nick
Old 02/17/2007, 01:24 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
Where did you locate this clone at?
He mailed it to me. It's an Envirocom model made by Best Power Technology. I haven't figured out which Sensaphone its an OEM of, looks very close to a 1104 but might be the older 1100. I have to dig into the spec sheets.

Old 02/17/2007, 01:27 AM
Standpipe Guy

Here's an updated picture of the baby snails I have growing in the overflow chambers. Last month the largest one I could find was 1/16 of an inch. These are about 1/8 to 3/16 inch:

Melev - Sure look pretty close to the little ones you posted in your thread.

Old 02/17/2007, 01:45 AM
Standpipe Guy

OK, last picture for tonight:

Pretty neat how some of the polyps are only half populated with zooanthellae. This is one of the quick growing branches where zooanthellae growth lags behind a little.

Old 02/17/2007, 01:48 AM
TRC Leader

Yours seem to come to a point, where mine are round like a bb or tiny tiny marble.

The ones above are rather close to the kind that eat zoanthids though.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...01#post5245201
Old 02/17/2007, 02:16 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Yours seem to come to a point, where mine are round like a bb or tiny tiny marble.

The ones above are rather close to the kind that eat zoanthids though.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...01#post5245201
I don't have any zoanthids. And if they find some, they are more than welcome to eat them.

I'm pretty sure they are off-spring of the tiger trochus that I talked about spawining a few weeks ago -- to small to be sure though. I have a picture of an even larger one sitting on top of my Vortech:

Old 02/17/2007, 02:30 AM
TRC Leader

Yeah, that's not the same snail fortunately. And this is my 24,000th post. Consider that my gift to this thread.
Old 02/17/2007, 10:53 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Yeah, that's not the same snail fortunately. And this is my 24,000th post. Consider that my gift to this thread.
Geeze dude... get off the computer and get some of your wood working done already.

Old 02/17/2007, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by original-reefland
Geeze dude... get off the computer and get some of your wood working done already.
Ouch......that was great Rich!

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 02/17/2007, 11:17 PM
clown addict

Quote:
I am guilty of that too!
Old 02/17/2007, 11:52 PM
Standpipe Guy

One of my clams which I've had for about 8 months now. I have to try and get a good picture of this from above. It is a deep blue with turquoise stripes from above.

Orange Montipora Capricornis is known for being a rapid grower. The picture below is from May 2006.

This is it now, 9 months later. And honestly it has grown significantly in the past week since I took the picture.

As pictured above is 10 inches across, 10 inches front to back and about 6 inches from the bottom to the top.

This orange montipora was grown out from a frag in my previous tank. I gave a frag to my father to grow in his reef tank, and I got a frag from his when setting up this tank. I've had this species in my family since 2001. When I took down my last tank it had to be bashed up to fit into two 5 gallon buckets.

Old 02/18/2007, 01:02 AM
Standpipe Guy

I found a decent picture showing red bugs which I took just before my treatments to use as a comparison. Used it for a page on my site documenting some of the issues I had with them.

It's been several weeks since the three treatments, no sign of any of them still.

Old 03/19/2007, 09:31 PM
Standpipe Guy

I was going to have some Angle fish shipped to me from MarineCenter for my birthday, but the order was cancelled day before shipping --out of stock. I was interested in Japanese Swallowtail Genicanthus melanospilos and Watanabe's Angelfish Genicanthus watanabei with Lamarck's Angelfish Genicanthus sp. as a backup.

I had to delay the order a week to get passed the below zero temperatures... sold out by the time I could take shipment.

Anyone keeping any of these? From what I hear these are ideal reef safe Zooplankton feeding, passive and stay small (under 4 to 5 inches). I've only spoken to one person who has had two of them and they were ideal tank mates.

Old 03/19/2007, 09:33 PM
Standpipe Guy

Took a few pictures from above looking down. Nothing special, but good enough to show.

Old 03/19/2007, 09:34 PM
Standpipe Guy

Old 03/27/2007, 11:38 PM
Standpipe Guy

Purchased the two angel fish I was interested in. Got a few tips from local reefers who spotting them at a LFS.

First is a Japanese Swallowtail Genicanthus melanospilos. Very nice specimen a little larger than I wanted at about 6 inches in size from nose to streamer tip (long tail). It currently has the female/juvenile color pattern but I can see faint markings of the typical vertical stripes shown by a male. These stripes are the reason its sometimes called Zebra Angel. Bold. Eating well so far.

The second one is a Lamarck Angel Genicanthus lamarck sometimes called Freckletail Lyretail Angelfish. Another nice specimen, nice colors. More blue than I've typically seen with these. In the area of about 4 inches long. Its a little on the shy side, darts around quickly. Appears to be eating, but not positive yet.

Old 03/29/2007, 09:30 PM
Standpipe Guy

The two angel fish are eating very well. Everything I offer they seem to be eating. To my surprise they are already eating Spirulina flake, Sprung's red SeaVeggies flakes and even various pellet foods.

Anyone have a recommendation for a naturally buoyant pellet food I can use with an automated feeder? I have some pellets for ORA which sink like rocks to the bottom. Flakes I tried stay on the water surface and go down the overflows. Need something in the middle.

Old 03/29/2007, 09:35 PM
Standpipe Guy

The Pink Birds nest coral has really been growing very well over the past 6 months. This was it about 3 weeks after being added:

This is it now, six months later:

Old 03/29/2007, 10:14 PM
Carpe Noctem

Great shots Rich! I really like the growth pics!
Old 03/30/2007, 12:13 AM
TRC Leader

Rich, the Formula One and Formula Two pellets drift around a bit. I buy the smallest kind. If you do use an automated feeder, have it dispense into a feeding ring or a plastic cup mounted on the edge of the tank. The bottom of the cup should be removed, and the base should be submerged slightly. That way any food floating will have to saturate to begin dropping below.

Typically fish will recognize the feeding time and as they peck in that area they'll cause the food to fall more quickly.
Old 03/30/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The two angel fish are eating very well. Everything I offer they seem to be eating. To my surprise they are already eating Spirulina flake, Sprung's red SeaVeggies flakes and even various pellet foods.

Anyone have a recommendation for a naturally buoyant pellet food I can use with an automated feeder? I have some pellets for ORA which sink like rocks to the bottom. Flakes I tried stay on the water surface and go down the overflows. Need something in the middle.
I'm a big fan of the New Life Spectrum large and small pellet foods. They sink slowy and the fish seem to have an overwhelming attractent to them.

Greg