Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/29/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

baby steps

Ok, I have this orange cap that has been my only SPS for a few months. The coral and it's many broken pieces(too many lg turbos and initial transport) have thrived under my control.

I just purchased a small mini-colony/frag of some unknown(to me) acro a couple of weeks ago. It was in a nanocube under 96w of PC and could not have been more brown.

After two weeks of care, it has started to grow and is now slight shade of green with white tips and green polyps.

What Should I try next???

Dirt
Old 05/30/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

A. Millepora.....you can try just about any millie including some of the more "in demand" ones as they are no harder to keep.....

think ORA...blue, pink, nathan's green.....not too expensive..another step up and they grow quickly
Old 05/30/2007, 11:50 AM
ummmmmm yeah

I would go with a millie, or a birdsnest. Both grow pretty fast and are nice looking pieces that come in varitey of colors.
Old 05/30/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

get some ora scripps acro grows like a weed you can watch it grow almost on a daily basis
Old 05/30/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Go with

The Milli
Old 05/30/2007, 04:21 PM
How a relationship works

green slimer

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 05/31/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I was thinking milli too...What are ORA sps? If I can get hold of a green slimer, I would love to try one again(I killed one cultured frag in three days back when I just started reefin'). That was one cool coral under just actinics.

OTOH, anything at this stage, that I should avoid?

Given my limited space(ie no more caps) in my 30 cube, how many frags should I plan on to fill the upper-third of my cube? Say I purchased a 3 frag pack of mille's that were around 1" each, how far apart would you place them? I don't plan on up-grading my reef beyond a 58gal 2'x2' cube. So, given average growth, how big will a 1" A. mille get in a year?

Sorry for all the questions,

Dirt

Last edited by joedirt54; 05/31/2007 at 12:42 AM.