Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2005, 10:08 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
Thanks for the IDM, I looked up pictures of flatworms and that is exactly what it was. So they are bad hitchikers? what type of damage do they cause?
If it was a large polyclad flatworm (which is what it sounds like), they are mostly predatory on sessile inverts. They eat sponges, tunicates, and cnidarians. However, the most common species (or several similar species) that show up in tanks seem to be snail predators.

I have no idea how to get them out since I've never had one.
Old 06/20/2005, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

If anyone is in need or wants seahorses, TBS now has them. Here's a post from Richard:

Seahorses!!

For the first time in a loooong time we have seahorses in stock. Since they became CITIES listed, they have been real hard to come by, now is your chance if you want horses...

They are from the Gulf, just caught last night. They are 3-4 inch, mostly females, there may be some males, but you can not really tell at this age.

We have 25 in stock today. $20 each.....

Thanks
TBS
Old 06/20/2005, 10:35 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Thats a good deal on horses
Old 06/20/2005, 01:23 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

new hitchhiker

Hey all,

I found a new hitchhiker in my main tank, so he has been banished to my sump until I get an ID. Any guesses?

high and dry:

scurrying away in sump (I could not see any siphon there were noticeable eye stalks with black eyes)

Brian
Old 06/20/2005, 01:24 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

I've also been trying to improve my photo skills and get a good picture of my newest zoas. Here they are

Old 06/20/2005, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

excellent zoa pic B.

im sorry to be the informant of bad news, but i would put money on your snail being predatory on worms and/or other snails. eother way its prolly not a very good addition for any tank with a live sand bed.
Old 06/20/2005, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

I've read that some places tank-breed their seahorses. In light of the special diet of sea horses (a la live food) - seems like a tank-bred one might be more suitable for most hobbyists (as well as more environmentally friendly). Don't get me wrong - this is not a flame towards tbs or anyone else that sells wild-caught horses...just sharing my 2 cents. I'd love to see tbs carry lysmata grabhami (atlantic skunk cleaner). Then if possible I'd switch out the peppermints in favor of grabhami...with a little extra change headed to TBS's way of course.

Oh and to be picky...it's a whelk, not a welk. The siphon combined with activity on LR is a usually good sign of it being a whelk and not a nassarius snail. The latter being an excellent mover on sand whereas the former appears to labor thru it.

I agree with landon on that unknown snail. Dr. Ron might be able to get an id if you post a macro pic of the eyes/mouth and snail shell aperture...
Old 06/20/2005, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
I've read that some places tank-breed their seahorses. In light of the special diet of sea horses (a la live food) - seems like a tank-bred one might be more suitable for most hobbyists (as well as more environmentally friendly). Don't get me wrong - this is not a flame towards tbs or anyone else that sells wild-caught horses...just sharing my 2 cents. I'd love to see tbs carry lysmata grabhami (atlantic skunk cleaner). Then if possible I'd switch out the peppermints in favor of grabhami...with a little extra change headed to TBS's way of course.
i had some thoughts typed up to post but thought they sounded a little too harsh. good diplomatic explanation Phil. SHs are so sensative and delicate in their natural habitat. i think any one who is looking to purchase any should purchased captive bread horses. they are much more adaptive and most of the time you can find ones that readily eat frozen foods (which is pretty well unheard of with WC specimens).
Old 06/20/2005, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

dennis - i forgot in my post a while back on the aqua c to share the following:

Typically I have the air gauge wide open. However immediately following a water change I have to adjust the gauge to almost nothing - otherwise the skimmer will pump out a liter of water in an hour.

At first this totally annoyed me as I thought it was one of those "set it and forget it" kinda skimmers. But I got used to it. After a day or so of the new water mixing in, I return the gage slowly back up to "wide open".

As for the skimmate - in the collection cup it's watery but in the neck it is like chocolate mud. Nasty.

Of course - this coming from a former sea clown owner.

Old 06/20/2005, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

hey pat -

i guess my question before got covered up by all the posts...what was that electronic device you purchased to manage all the plugs? It was a black strip with orange buttons on it I think.
Old 06/20/2005, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
dennis - i forgot in my post a while back on the aqua c to share the following:

Typically I have the air gauge wide open. However immediately following a water change I have to adjust the gauge to almost nothing - otherwise the skimmer will pump out a liter of water in an hour.

At first this totally annoyed me as I thought it was one of those "set it and forget it" kinda skimmers. But I got used to it. After a day or so of the new water mixing in, I return the gage slowly back up to "wide open".

As for the skimmate - in the collection cup it's watery but in the neck it is like chocolate mud. Nasty.

Of course - this coming from a former sea clown owner.

I keep the air valve wide open all the time too. When I do a water change or add top-off it just makes my skimmers bubbles go down. Awhile after it will go back to the same without any adjustment.

My skimmate is watery too with the same chocolate mud as you call it.

At this point in time I'm not very happy with my AquaC. It's the noisiest thing around my tank. If I turn it off you don't hear much of anything. I really can't say much about it skimming because I only have part 1 of TBS in there and nothing else.
Old 06/20/2005, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

I'm not a happy camper today. When my lights came on tonight I noticed something dispatched all but 2 of my feather duster worms. I don't see any sign of them. No tube or anything. There is one left on the rock and one that is laying free on the rock below it.
Old 06/20/2005, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I'm not a happy camper today. When my lights came on tonight I noticed something dispatched all but 2 of my feather duster worms. I don't see any sign of them. No tube or anything. There is one left on the rock and one that is laying free on the rock below it.
I'll join you as an unhappy camper today also. My beautiful ricordia is gone...nothing but a tiny piece of a foot. One of my discosomas is completely gone. I know the culprit that did it, though. It's one of the peppermints. I also found it picking at my colony feather dusters and shooed it away. I need to get those peppermints out of my tank before they eat all the other pretty things in the tank!!!! And to think I used to like peppermint shrimp!!!!
Old 06/20/2005, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I keep the air valve wide open all the time too. When I do a water change or add top-off it just makes my skimmers bubbles go down. Awhile after it will go back to the same without any adjustment.

My skimmate is watery too with the same chocolate mud as you call it.

At this point in time I'm not very happy with my AquaC. It's the noisiest thing around my tank. If I turn it off you don't hear much of anything. I really can't say much about it skimming because I only have part 1 of TBS in there and nothing else.
I found increaseing the water level of the sump (close to where the output is) reduced the amount of noise. That said though I agree it's not the quietest thing (though the mag 5 can hum pretty loudly).
Old 06/20/2005, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I found increaseing the water level of the sump (close to where the output is) reduced the amount of noise. That said though I agree it's not the quietest thing (though the mag 5 can hum pretty loudly).
I have the water level half way up the output of the skimmer. I put the skimmer is exactly the amount of water the directions say. My air valve still whistles like a son of a gun. That and the water running out of the output is what I hear the most.
Old 06/20/2005, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

lately - i've noticed small white sponge growths similar to this posting here

While the tank is maturing - I'm a little concerned that perhaps it's a nutrient issue. I do not have a fug and I've been thinking that perhaps it's necessary to re-jig the sump area to include a fug. I hate my sump and have been thinking of getting a new one.
Old 06/20/2005, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have the water level half way up the output of the skimmer. I put the skimmer is exactly the amount of water the directions say. My air valve still whistles like a son of a gun. That and the water running out of the output is what I hear the most.
the air valve whistles? I think you mentioned that before...I thought it was a fluke. Mine doesn't make a peep. Maybe you could place a small cotton ball there? It will slightly reduce the amount of air intake but perhaps can cure the sound?
Old 06/20/2005, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
the air valve whistles? I think you mentioned that before...I thought it was a fluke. Mine doesn't make a peep. Maybe you could place a small cotton ball there? It will slightly reduce the amount of air intake but perhaps can cure the sound?
AquaC even sent me another one and it still make the same sound.
Old 06/20/2005, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Put a chain on it and then pass the valve to your kids for use as a whistle. Then go out and tell aquac you're moving to a different skimmer.

sorry - I don't have any constructive advice for you on this post...

Lately my wife and I have noticed the amphipods in our tank. Either they are getting bigger or growing more bolder. I dunno. I've even caught a few in my sump. I guess they are saying "hey how come this lousy reef doesn't have a fug?"
Old 06/20/2005, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Put a chain on it and then pass the valve to your kids for use as a whistle. Then go out and tell aquac you're moving to a different skimmer.
I would but right now I'm not ready to shell out another $300 for a new skimmer. I don't think I will buy another and when I have the money it will get replaced.

BTW I tried your cottonball idea but it cut the air flow too much. Hardly any bubbles.
Old 06/21/2005, 04:59 AM
yes it's my aquarium

patsan...

PM sent.
Old 06/21/2005, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Phil, the thing I got was the DJ strip. We liked it so much we got another one for Bob. It works great and makes life much easier. No bending down under the stand to unplug things anymore.
DJ Strip
I also have a code good for $5 off for any purchases which is good thru the end of June.
Old 06/21/2005, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

We have bought from Gary Majchrzak before. He is a good guy to buy from. We still have the things we bought from him. If he still has gorgonias (?) i wouldnt mind buying from him again. The small anemone is still going great. It is about the size of a quarter and hasnt ever gotten any bigger. It also stays in one place. It never moves. It loves silversides. It will take any meaty food. The gorgonia is also doing great. I would like a 2nd one to put into a tank i have set up to put dwarf seahorses in.
Old 06/21/2005, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

anyone know if salifert makes refills for their test kits? or do i have to buy a new kit everytime?
Old 06/21/2005, 09:39 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
anyone know if salifert makes refills for their test kits? or do i have to buy a new kit everytime?
No refills unfortunately for salifert

B.