Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

Flexible Foam Aquarium Backgrounds

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=18278

Apparently the foam is a porous kind, the kind used in filters. Is this good or bad?
Old 01/04/2008, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

I like the idea. I know a reefer who did the same thing himself and it looks AMAZING! The price of that isn't too terribly bad depending on how many you NEED!!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

I like the idea as well. But it just seems skeptical to me...
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

I used the Handi foam for my background. You can find it here http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...tail/iid/11715
I like it. It took a few to get completely covered in coralline. I looks like LR all the way up the back of the tank. It makes the tank look fuller. Just a thought though.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:00 AM
Reefer

lilchris-Did you just spray the foam on the background of your tank or did you add rocks? Do you have a photo of your background?

Joyce
Old 01/06/2008, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

I sprayed on the back of the tank.

This was a few months after the tank was set up. You can you use your imagination and put LR on the back glass and spray the foam around it and it will hold the LR and make little shelves on the back glass. I think it maks my tank look like a little reef that is in a cave.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Seems like kind of a waste of money on something that looks sort of fake. I like handifoam/pond foam whatever it is that people are using. You can put it where you want it and it's cheap. Once the foam gets covered in coralline it won't matter if you spent a bunch of money on a nifty foam background from DFS or if you spent $10 on a can of pond foam it will look the same.

lilchris: great looking tank!
Old 01/06/2008, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

Thanks
Old 01/06/2008, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

I agree the pond foam background look much better... There have been some good threads on this if you do a search.