Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2003, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

lots of problems, bare with me this is long

I bought a 75 gallon tank. 150lbs live sand and 60lbs live rock. A backpack skimmer up to 90 gallon. 4 vho 110 watt bulbs. I put my tank together and 2 months the later the fish shop tested my water and said it was cycled. They said I could put fish. I put a blue tang, a powder blue tang, a lion fish, 2 clown fish, and a yellow tang. All but the yellow tang died in less than 2 weeks. So I kept doing water changes and just let the tank sit. 2 months later I put a open brain coral and a green hammer coral. For the last 5 months they have done fine. During that 5 months I got sick and was in the hospital for 3 months. I didnt do any water changes. After I got out the hospital I did a water change. I have aspatia (cant spell it) all over my tank. I also had a algae problem, it looked like my tank got slimed brown. I called the local shop and they said cut lights back to 3 hours a day. I did that and it got rid of the slime. I went to the fish store and got 3 clowns, a copperband butterfly(supposed to eat that aspatia stuff), a mandarin gobe, and 3 anitameas (cant spell that either)- they are long tentacle things. After putting all this in I noticed that my green hammer wasnt looking very well, he got some white spots on the outside of him. Also my serpent starfish lost his legs, and most of my snails died. Today I noticed that my green hammer now has long brown slime looking stuff on it. I tested my tank= nitrite .05, nitrate 2.5, ammonia-.15, ph-8.0, alk-12.8, calcium-400. My copperband butterfly died in 3 days (he looked like he was bleeding in his nose internally. My 3 clowns are picking at each other, damaging fins and leaving little spots on each other bodies. I called the local fish shop he said to put melafix in my tank. Melafix made my skimmer go nuts and my tank now is full of tiny air bubbles. My long tentacle things are loosing their tentacles. So I called a lady off the internet and she said I should not have put the melafix. So I did a 20 gallon water change. So basically I dont know what questions to ask. I just need alot of help. I guess the local fish store dont have a clue, and all the info. they gave me was not accurate. They told me I didnt have to test the water so up until yesterday I had never tested it. I dont know what I am doing and the fish shop dont know what they are doing. Help would be much appreciated. My tank is 10 months old. Thanks in advance Josh
Old 01/02/2003, 09:18 PM
Recovering Addict

I think you should be in the newbie forum.

Read the stickies Dr. Ron has posted.
Old 01/03/2003, 01:21 AM
Never Satisfied!!

My suggestion is stop buying anything altogether, even if the LFS says you can. They are obviously just enjoying sucking all your money out of your wallet. Lots of the things you've bought require a very mature tank, and specialized care, only someone experienced should attempt, while others should not be bought period. You also mixed certain animals that do NOT belong in the same tank. Start doing major reading, and don't stop till you understand most of what it takes to run a SW tank.
I'm actually scared to see what Dr. Ron has to say in response. Don't take this as trying to insult, or tell you off, but in all honesty, I don't think you did any research before jumping into this hobby, and that was a really big mistake. You should always research each living animal, whether it be a coral, fish, invertebrate, anything, a lot before buying it. Never, and I repeat NEVER impulse buy something for a SW tank. It is your DUTY as a hobbyist in this hobby to provide everything possible for the livestock to not only survive, but also flourish in your tank, otherwise it's simply a SHAME!!! By the way, those long tentacled things you call "Anitameas" are called " Anemones", and I am actually saddened upon reading this post.
I know Dr. Ron usually doesn't like others to post their opiions before he has a chance to say something, but in this case, sorry, I just had to say this.
Old 01/03/2003, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Hi;

As some of the other replies have said, you might get a more sympathetic response from the "new to the hobby" forum. Having said that, I would also say that reading your post reminded me of how confusing and conflicting the information for the newcomer is, ESPECIALLY from local fish stores. My advice to you is to find a "teacher"; someone in your local area who has a thriving reef system, lots of experience, and is not interested in selling you anything. Combine this with some reading; a good place to start is Ron Shimek's book "The coral reef aquarium". It's an easy book for newcomers to read; unlike many other reef aquarium books.

If you can find the right experienced hobbiest in your area, maybe through reefcentral or a regional aquarium club, and are willing to pay this person a bit for his/her time, you can "start over" with (hopefully) solid info that can get your system on track. Here's one bit of primary advice: Don't buy any more animals for a while....

Matt
Old 01/03/2003, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs down TROLLING??

If not,I agree with what the others said,especially the research part.A little would have told you that there would be no way to keep 1/2 those fish even IF your tank was running smooth.

Also,by any chance did you dump the LFS water from the fish into your tank???If so,it could be copper?Either way,they where doomed from the start,too bad

good luck
Old 01/03/2003, 07:26 PM
Team RC Member

I think Dr. Ron will move this to be Newcommer forum. I believe he usually prefers questions that are about more advanced topics. Some advice I can give you is:

If your anemones die they can severely pollute your water. If they look like they are "falling apart" alltogether you may want to (sad as it is) throw them out.

If the clowns are still fighting I would see about taking them back to the LFS. You have a lot of fish in your tank the way it is.

I agree the your LFS did not give you some accurate advice. Ex: they really should have known that Melafix would cause your skimmer to "go nuts."

You may want to look into using Ammolock (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=4019) to help control your ammonia temporarily.

Especially with the corals you should avoid using "medicines" on your main tank.

When you water gets back to normal your fish may still be a little stressed / more prone to disease. I would sugest you to look into getting a neon goby. These are a small, attractive fish that act as "cleaners" and remove parasites from many types of fish. You no longer have the lionfish, correct? Again, wait on adding ANYTHING until you have your problems under control but if you have an ich breakout, for example a neon goby could save your fish.

Try to keep your skimmer cleaned and running as efficiently as it can to get the melafix out of there.

Questions for you:
Have you tested your water since the water change?

Do any of your fish show signs of disease?

Are any of your invertebrates still alive? If so which ones?

Has your temperature been stable?

Do you use RO/DI water? Do you test your phosphates?

What sort of foods / suppplemets / etc. do you use and how much (about)?

Do you have pictures of your tank you could upload?

I hope I was some help. To be honest, I agree with pretty much everyone who has posted. Try to do a lot of research using the search function here. If I can be of any help feel free to PM me with specific questions.

Good luck!
Kevin
Old 01/04/2003, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

Well, Josh,

I have moved the thread to this forum as this is the most appropriate place for it.

You have a lot of problems. As one of the posters indicated, it sounds like you did no research whatsoever before starting this venture. That needs to be remedied. Living things are not disposable ornaments.

Some things you will need to do immediately. First, return all living things to the LFS. Clean out the tank. Let it dry out for about a month.

During that period start doing some research on what you need to do, and how you need to set up a tank. Buy a couple of new up-to-date marine aquarium reference books and read them. Spend a lot of time on this forum and elsewhere on the internet reading and learning.

After that, you may wish re-establish your tank doing it slowly and with forethought and an appropriate plan of operation.
Old 01/04/2003, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

....Hey Poolstick, don't take it personally. I've had salt water tanks for 14-15 years, and untill I stumbled upon ReefCentral, I thought I was very up to date on this hobby. I made my own sump- trickle filter almost 15 years ago. I never had any problems at all, then when I went to set up my lattest tank, due to moving into a brand new house, I made the mistake of putting in a DSB. Untill then, I always used a bare bottom setup, and I never had problems. The problem that happened when I set up the DSB in my tank was I was misinformed about the type of sand to use. I know that I am a OVER prepared to do most all the things that I take on in life. However, all the research and preparing in the world won't fix bad advice or poor information.
.......My point being, I get to ReefCentral a few months ago, and ALL I READ IS THAT BIO BALLS ARE FOR THE BIRDS! And, that THE DSB is the only way to fly! So, I start reading and reading and reading. After I finally signed up to post here, I asked the question as to why my bio balls are no good. And, I found out. I also found out that the DSB I set up was a crap trap. Which is why I always went with a bare bottom tank in the past. Unfortunately, my DSB wasn't able to support the fauna life that helps the tank to sustain itself more naturally, because I was given the wrong info about the type of sand to use. So, the idea was great, but the details were wrong and very painful.
.......I could go back to my old ways, but I have chosen to correct the problem instead. I have purchased the proper sand [ SOUTHDOWN ], AND I have also taken the opportunity to expand my knowledge about this hobby by reading day and night about all sorts of subjects. So, I am sure that you didn't just buy a tank and throw some guppies in it. I know that you have spent good money and precious time in your quest to have your saltwater tank flurish.
........I try not to ever disagree with the people\posts found on the forums on the web. It takes time and care to make these posts. I believe that each person has your best interest in mind most of the time. With that said, we are all learning about all things at all times. So, live and learn. What is new, right!!??
................If I stepped on anyones toes, please forgive me. I was just trying to point out to Poostick01 that he is going to survive this, and coming to RC was very intelligent. And, that's proof that he cares and knows that some additional research will help his cause.
............H.I.D...KEVIN......OVER.............
Old 01/04/2003, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

The lfs wont take back the living things in my aquarium, they said that once I have purchased it, it is mine. I tried to give the fish and coral to the lfs. I told them they could have it. They wont take them. So I came to this forum to find out how I could save the stuff. My lfs cant help so I came to this place. What am I supposed to do with this stuff if the only way to fix my tank is to dry it out a couple of months. I am reading and researching, I no I should have done this before, but its kinda late now. I just want to see if anyone can help keep my fish and corals alive. I am doing a 15 gallon water change everyother day.
Old 01/04/2003, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

.....I wish I could help out more. I feel like a newbie compared to many of these Reefers, so I would be patient. Someone will come up with a solution for you. I wouldn't go back to that LFS any longer. My shop always is willing to help out in the exchange-buyback situation.
.......I had my landlord unplug my entire system about 10 years ago, and it shut down everything. My controls didn't work, and my sump only handled a small portion of the water that overflowed into it. The rest of the water ended up in my landlords kitchen down stairs!! My point, I didn't have enough water to sustain my system, so my LFS helped out by taking all my sea friends into his store untill I was back on my feet. A very unhappy day, but atleast my LFS was there for me.
.......Look for another shop, that would be my first advice. And, don't do anything else to your system untill you've run it by the "powers that be" here at RC. I don't believe you'll get steered in the wrong direction anymore.
.................................H.I.D...KEVIN.....OVER.....................
Old 01/04/2003, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Poolstick, glad to see that you are trying to rectify your mistakes/problems.

I dont know if you have other lfs around you, but you might try to find one if you need to get rid of the fish (maybe even a seperate speciman container you can put in your tank so they cant fight). Also, I know a lot of lfs are out for money only, but please keep in mind to not offend the lfs. Its hard enough for me to go in a lfs that I KNOW doesnt care or know there stuff, let alone be ridiculed(SP?) when I do go there for emergencies (ie pump failure, etc.). Anyway, dont break your ties with the lfs, ya never know when they will be your ONLY emergency supplier.

Good luck, and keep at it!!!

Jason K.
Old 01/05/2003, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

I am amazed at how badly your lfs is treating you. You should definitely look for another! But, as someone suggested, if it's the closest one to you, you might not want to break ties in case you ever need them in an emergency (but I doubt they would be very helpful).

You say you are doing 15% water changes. Is your replacement water good?

Also, if you absolutely can't find another lfs that would take your livestock, the suggestion of another container is a good one.

What do you have left in the way of livestock? The smallest tank I have is a 20 gal. that requires very little work and is a very basic setup. It houses two clownfish, a firefish, some live rock and some peppermint shrimp. Very simple, but nice to look at.

Can you pick up a used tank setup? I don't know if money is a factor.

Also, take a couple of pieces of live rock out of the tank and do the sniff test. If it smells bad, it is and needs to by cycled again separately.

And, get yourself some good test kits to find out what's wrong.

That's all I can think of for now. Probably not very helpful.

Good luck....don't give up.

Ann
Old 01/06/2003, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

most of this will be reiteration, but a few new ideas...
Firstly, buy at least three books and read them cover to cover a few times. Also, make sure they were written no eaarlier than 1995.
second, after reading these books, you will learn that the fish you tried require much more experience.
third, NEVER add so many fish at once...you're bound to have exactly what you do...ammonia and nitrite problems.
fourth...I have three marine fish stores within 5 minutes of my apartment, and another 7 within 20 minutes. Out of those 10 stores, only 2 give a crap about me or my fish. Lesson: they want your money; the more mistakes you make, the more money you spend at their store. I have the advantage of living in a huge city, but if at all possible, never go back there. and hold a grudge agains;t them....I would
I think your biggest problem was the addition of so many fish at once. Learn from your books what fish are easy to keep and start with those. As for the fish you still have left, pray. I think Dr S wants you to scrap it and start over becasue of the Melafix....I still don't have an opinion on this. Be educated and patient....and trust only those you know or who at least don't gain from your mistakes....we only give advice becasue we love this stuff. good luck
Matt
Old 01/06/2003, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Hey poolstick01;

I really think your best bet here is to find a fellow reefer with some experience in your area. There's got to be a club somewhere in LA. These people could hold your surviving livestock and help you apply the various concepts you'll be reading about to your system. Did you find the Shimek book? It's perfect for you as a starter. Every successful reef owner started out as a newbie, and while some of the posts here can appear to be, well, direct..., I'm pretty sure you'll find someone in person who can help and be a friend about it. BTW, it struck me in every one of these posts, including my first one, that noone expressed any concern/condolence about your three month hospital stay. I hope you've recovered okay. Maybe getting a solid foundation in reef aquaria and SLOWLY building a successful system can aid in your health. Good luck...

Matt
Old 01/19/2003, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

It appears from each of your two fish buying trips, you dropped a heck-of-aload money on fish, etc. Not to mention the bioload. I would suggest going much slower at adding a specimen 1 or 2 (max) at a time. This will give your system time to "mature" and adapt to the additions. Research each specimen you are interested in, before you buy it, to make sure it is compatible to your other inhabitants and system you are attempting to house it. This will hopefully save you from some disasterous outcomes, not to mention $$.