Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/15/2003, 11:00 AM
Moved On

Ndallas Plano Area Group

It seems we have been kicked off the other board for being off topic. Please post you concerns and suggestions here.
Old 09/15/2003, 11:02 AM
Tiny Miracles.

I think the BOD was gonna shut it down anyway............

So Mitch you had plans for a get together at some LFS? When were they? Lets get the ball rolling.........
Old 09/15/2003, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Wow I had just pmed the mods how to set up a new forum for a local club. Thanks miller
Old 09/15/2003, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I don't know how formal we have to be. I see
"East Valley Saltwater Aquarist "FRAG" Club"
and think it would be great to emulate, not too formal and not a MAS.
Old 09/15/2003, 11:07 AM
Tiny Miracles.

I asked Anenome about it last night......heres what he had to say.......

Quote:
Tony,

You need to PM/Email JohnL with the name, website and mission statement/short description of your club....

Kevin
Old 09/15/2003, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Here's a direct link to their club

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=236588

There are no annual membership fees or dues to pay, since this is not an organized club or society sanctioned by elected officials.

Currently, FRAG and the Desert Marine Society (DMS) are two different entities with different purpose driven missions.
Old 09/15/2003, 11:17 AM
Moved On

so can you guys not post at all on dfwmas? can any guest not post? I need to contact Ian and see about getting something set up so we can meet.

I really did not want this to be a seperate club but it looks like it is going to happen anyway. I will continue to support the DFWMAS unless they start to censor me. If they do I also will bail. Most of the people have been very nice there and I don't want to take away from them. Our meeting will NOT be on the same days as theirs. I do not wish to start a DFWMAS VS us(name to be determined) war. I am upset that they decided to block people posts. It is their club and they can do as they please but I don't want to be a part of infringeing on anyones cival liberties. Maybe both clubs can support each other in the future (after everything dies down).

This club will be a not for profit group and will rely on donations and a raffle to cover any club expenses. Hopefully we can do this very cheap(I am all for free). Maybe RC can set us up out own forum. Also one last note, everything will be democratic and all changes will be voted on.

For good or bad I am a total liberal and and support the freedom of speach even in a private organization. I don't care if you bash each other, bash LFS, or say anything else that is on your mind. I just want a open forum and a local group that we in Dallas and Plano can attend on the weekend.
Old 09/15/2003, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Reefgeekers:
How did this question for who is going to start there own CLICK ever happen, becasue of travel and places to meet?
is that it? or is it really people who think they need power and controll?, becasue they feel inferiour?

Of course there has to be some Debates over these issues, BUT, I think Duane hit the nail on the head and it has been and is a dead issue that keeps popping up by a few that seem to want there own little CLICK and they do not want a Club at all, just there own little club, so nobody can get in that they do not like and they can call the shots and take power in there hands, and maybe spend all there time taking about the other nastiy club around the block from them?

He just won't be quiet and no DFWMAS people tell him anything.
Old 09/15/2003, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Miller

I no loger have PM
Some posts were deleted
I am now guest though some others who have NOT paid are still members.

It seems just some were "Disciplined"
Old 09/15/2003, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I'm off to school be back later. I'll support what ever you guys come up with, I think were all on the same level.
Old 09/15/2003, 11:27 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
This club will be a not for profit group and will rely on donations and a raffle to cover any club expenses. Hopefully we can do this very cheap(I am all for free). Maybe RC can set us up out own forum. Also one last note, everything will be democratic and all changes will be voted on.
My thoughts exactly. If the need does arrive to where we grow so much that we may have to charge membership, then that can be addressed later on by the club. Not by a handful of people. I understand the need for a group of people to have some power for the direction of the club, but these should be volunteers to do the job and not have a totalitarian vote. The people's voice should be heard.

I also dont want a war with DFWMAS. After all we are about saving MARINE LIFE. nothing more, nothing less. I think a weekend meeting would be good. I think more then 1 time a month would also be good as I dont think you can really meet people and get to know them 1 time a month.....I think something like every other weekend or something........

Mitch, I think there were about 5 of us that were "disciplined" Me, DallasJose, Catfishd, and I think one or two others.............
Old 09/15/2003, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I also agree that we should try to not compete with DFWMAS. My personal opion about DFWMAS should not influence others, but I'll let it be known. I think people should go to both a local gathering will just be on the weekends and on a smaller scale for those who can't drive 1 hr to fortworth/make weekdays or who would like to meet local North Dallas fellow hobbiest's. I like the restaurant/bar idea even though I myself don't drink. I would prefer not a fast food place but what ever anyone or most can afford is what we should agree on. I think a sports bar may even work and then we could watch the game afterwards. Just tossing up ideas.
Old 09/15/2003, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Hello all. I will support by donating for web hosting and such so we can have our own forum. I just want to swap frags locally and not have to drive a couple of hours. I have met several people on RC who dispise of DFWMAS and warned me about it. But I will learn to listen to them. A forum of our own would be nice but not really needed atm. If we need a meeting place I would be happy to have it here since it will not be a large group coming. I have a large house and we can frag some of my zoos out if you like. And all SPS frags are welcome hahahaha. Let me know the plans guys I am in.

115 DAS Reef, 215 Oceanic Reef/in construction.
Old 09/15/2003, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Hehe guys, I don't know what my status with DFWMAS is, cos I'm still working through my emails and PMs. I really don't see what all the fuss is about, the club has too big a catchment area, and it needs to adapt. I hope the BOD do something about it so the DFWMAS can go onwards, for the good of its members.
In the meantime, it doesn't really satisfy my insatiable need for frags and stuff, so I will "do my bit" to support a new Dallas area club.
Kim likes the idea of hosting one weekend, and is going to talk to hubby about it. I will see her on Wednesday to get a better idea for a date/time.
PS. If people can't slap-talk Scott in the Saltwater Paradise forum, then he should keep his unwanted opinions out of the members area. He's an ignorant git, and I don't want to hear ANYTHING he has to say.
Old 09/15/2003, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Hey catfish, I'll help too but I'm not rich but I'll help what I can. I'll bring coke's or something and maybe a bag of southdown to be given as a prize or something. I'm just starting so not much to give here coral wise but I'll help. What are we looking at to get a forum started?
Old 09/15/2003, 05:22 PM
Tiny Miracles.

So how soon would everyone want to get together?

Ian- all the fuss about from me and some of the others here is that the meetings are on a weeknight, and so we dont ever get to go........The BOD is unwilling to change and so we are left out in the cold..........

Id rather start a new anyway..........
Old 09/15/2003, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I'm off to my night classes be back at 10 pm Keep up the discussions the more ideas the better and then we can work from there.
Old 09/15/2003, 05:29 PM
Moderator Clone

Folks, please dispense with the personal insults, okay? They aren't necessary, and will result in this thread being closed.

Before you decide on the "need" for a new club, why don't you get together a few times and see what the level of interest is? From past experience, the best way I've seen of going about this is having a frag swap. Have your core group chose an agreeable date at least several weeks in advance (to allow for people to make plans to attend), then post a thread in the Reef Discussion area with the date and time (have interested parties PM or email you for address/directions, as it isn't a good idea to put one of your personal addresses out there). Usually an afternoon on the weekend works best (and having a BBQ or pot-luck couldn't hurt).

See how successful the frag swap is, and if it is successful, do it again in a couple of months. Then you'll probably have an idea of a good core group to form a new club, or you may just want to continue on with frag swaps.

Good luck, and FWIW,
Kevin

PS - this really isn't lounge material, so I'm moving it to the Reef Discussion Forum.

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 09/15/2003, 05:37 PM
Tiny Miracles.

My brother can get us a forum if we want one.........

Me personally, Id rather meet at someones house....as it will give a better opportunity to get to know everyone. However, meeting at a public place is fine by me as well. I would offer up my 1 bedroom apartment, but my tank isnt up and running and wed have nothing to look at except my poor attempt at a reef in a 75g tank

I got some stomatella snails that I could bring to trade......and maybe some bryopsis
Old 09/15/2003, 05:59 PM
Moved On

lets try our first meeting at SP. Ian do you want to take the lead on that if not I will. She will be more than happy to have us there. I know at least 5 people who will attend. I am also sure some of the peeps from the other group will stop by.

I know you guys too well and that mean we NEED an unmodertated forum. Well it could be moderated by a couple of US. But here on RC we must again subcomb to certain rules that I know you guys can't follow.

Anemone,
There may not be a "need" for this club but their is more than enough people to make this thing go over. This group of guys here are stubborn and I know they won't stop untill they have achieved their goals. I am actually looking forward to developing friendships with people that I can stop by after work and drop something off.

I started to post in the reef discusion forum, and thought th lounge more apprioate but I really don't care as long as the thread is not closed.

Guys,
We do need to follow RC rules while here. If you have a prob with the store it is fine but no need to name names(not personal) if it is directed towards the store then I think it is "kosher" here.
Old 09/15/2003, 06:08 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Where is SP Mitch........When we gonna schedule the first meeting?
Old 09/15/2003, 06:12 PM
Moved On

walnut and jupiter
small but it will manage sometimes she has some nice stuff.
Old 09/15/2003, 06:14 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Is that in a shopping center with a bunch of oriental stores/restaurants around it?

If it is I drove by there and wanted to stop in to take a look..........
Old 09/15/2003, 06:17 PM
Moved On

yup you nailed it on the head.
Old 09/15/2003, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Ian,

One reason I left DFWMAS is because of that post right there about Scott. But from another person making acusations about people in general. We all have different personalities and get on each others nerves but personal attacks should be shunned. I personally know Scott. He is not trying to make his store look good. He is merely trying to give his input like everyone else. If you dont like him so be it. Lot of people do not. I know how to handle him cause he is alot like me in being outspoken. He is doing nothing wrong in that aspect. He might have bad qualities but he has good ones as well. Just like you I am sure. If he was crooked in sales or sold you some crap then post your experience not making insult remarks.

I can donate some zoo frags. Not ready to frag out my pride and joy SPS corals as of yet. If people would like I can talk with Scott and set up a meeting to be held there one time and you can see how he really is outside of the business Scott. I shop at the 2 most hated stores it seems in Dallas. DNA and SP but I get quality corals and have a bond with each store.

115 DAS Reef, 215 Oceanic Reef/in construction.

Last edited by Catfishd; 09/15/2003 at 06:29 PM.