Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 06:36 PM
always hungry

Monster Elegance

Check out the Elegance in this tank.
It's a Monster! Unfortunately, it's not mine.

Last edited by elegance coral; 10/02/2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:19 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

SWEET!!! sweet looking thats for sure.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Good golly that is a monster, how old is it?
Old 10/04/2007, 05:31 PM
Moved On

Dwarfs mine.
Old 10/05/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Very nice coral.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 10/06/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Awsome! I would be interested in learning more about the tank this is in. Also, I am thinking about moving mine into the rocks. Just from what you have seen do they generally do better in the rocks?

Lisa
Old 10/06/2007, 03:20 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

They generally do better on the sand bed. This more closely replicates their natural setting, which is always in a soft substrate.

It also lessens the chance for the delicate tissue to get damaged from a rough or sharp rock, which could then lead to infection.
Old 10/06/2007, 05:28 PM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfish11
Awsome! I would be interested in learning more about the tank this is in. Also, I am thinking about moving mine into the rocks. Just from what you have seen do they generally do better in the rocks?

Lisa
I don't know anything about the tank, because I found the picture on a Spanish speaking site (I think it was Spanish).
I keep all my Elegance corals on the rocks, and have been doing so for many years. The Elegance corals with meandering skeletal walls like this one live attached to solid surfaces in the wild like fringing reefs. The only real danger with placing an Elegance on the rocks is the thin layer of tissue that overlaps the skeleton. If this tissue gets pinched between the skeleton and the rocks injury could result. I have never had a problem with the polyp expanding over the rocks. Most LR has been eroded and/or covered with coraline algae and other life so there isn't many sharp edges to cause problems. I believe that light and flow are far more important than if the coral is on rocks or sand. If the corals placement is restricted to the sand bed it greatly reduces your options when trying to find the proper environment. I believe they will do fine on either surface if the light and flow are adequate.
Old 10/06/2007, 07:57 PM
See if you can pingaso it

Oh yea... that's some dremel material ..lol
Old 10/06/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Here is my large elegance. This pick is about 9 mo. to a year old. I'll try to get a new pic soon. Its now in a larger tank and grown even more!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 10/07/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kramgnik
Here is my large elegance. This pick is about 9 mo. to a year old. I'll try to get a new pic soon. Its now in a larger tank and grown even more!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
wowthat looks really healthy. Mine looked like that when it was healthy and around 9months. Once these guys hit the 8months mark ormore, you start to feel they are undestructable, unless you screw up the water quality. looks very nice.
Old 10/07/2007, 03:58 PM
Geek

Those colonies are absolutely amazing. I just took home my first elegance the other day. It came in from Australia so I am hoping it will thrive - and it looks like in a year when I set up my 125g I'll have tomake sure I set up a special area of the tank just for it seeing how large it is
Old 10/07/2007, 04:41 PM
always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstie
Those colonies are absolutely amazing. I just took home my first elegance the other day. It came in from Australia so I am hoping it will thrive - and it looks like in a year when I set up my 125g I'll have tomake sure I set up a special area of the tank just for it seeing how large it is
Where's the pic's? Did you get it from Sea in the City?
Old 10/07/2007, 07:15 PM
Geek

Yes I did and no pics yet its wide open but still settling in.. and i've been cleaning the tank all weekend.. will post in here shortly
Old 10/09/2007, 02:06 PM
Geek

Well, I took matters into my own hands with an awful point and shoot camera. i really need to take some extra time and learn how to use hubby's SLR camera better.

Anyhow here's with a flash

Without: (can you tell I Have T5s? hehe)

Knowing this comes from Australia hopefully will mean it will do well and get as large as the one that started this thread. i find their growth pattern and "body parts" just amazing in aesthetics and function. I was really surprised how sticky its tentacles were going from the LFS to my tank too.. really felt like an anemone! Something pictures just can't tell us hehe
Old 10/09/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Thats an Italian tank. You can find pics of it under the blu coral method thread