Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

AGA stand makes me nervous

I recently purchased a 180 gallon AGA Modern series aquarium stand. After seeing the thing in person I must say I am a little nervous about sitting a ton of water on top of it. It seems a little insufficient to hold a great ammount of weight. Does anyone on here have this type of stand and can comment about its quality and rigidity?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06/13/2007, 08:14 PM
Master of Funk

I agree that AGA stands are on the lighter duty (looking) side, but I have never heard of one failing.
Old 06/13/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

That is the exact reason I went nuts when I DIY'd my stand. I have 8 - 2x10's supporting my 75...... a little overkill, but when I saw those stands at the LFS, I got pretty freaked out too!
Old 06/13/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

AGA is a pretty reputable company. Have been doing it for some time. I think they know what there doing. JMO
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 06/13/2007, 08:25 PM
Huge Member

I have one and I like it. You could always brace it a little bit.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 06/13/2007, 08:33 PM
Generic Member

It will be fine. You dont need a ridiculously overbuilt stand. As another poster said, have you ever heard of one failing? I have a 180G and the stand doesn't have a single 2x anything in it. Neither did my 90G stand.
Old 06/13/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

I'm scared of mine with a 210 on it, but I haven't had any problems or heard of them
Old 06/13/2007, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

When I first got mine, I screwed it to the wall like a kichen cabinet. There was no way I was going to trust that with kids running up and down the hallway and potentially slamming into it.
Old 06/14/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

I have the 180 gallon modern. I would add additional bracing under the bottom if you plan on putting a large volume of water in a sump or remote deep sand bed. I have a 40 gallon sump, a 28 gallon brute trashcan full of sand/water (RDSB) and a 15 gallon water storage container top-off under my tank in the stand. It warped the bottom until I added bracing. That is an extreme amount of weight under the stand (certainly more than it was built for). Other than this, no complaints.

B.
Old 06/14/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

i have not heard anything negitive about the stands either. but i do know that it is not as much weight as you would think. i know that the tank full of water probably weighs around 1600 lbs. it is being spread over an area and not in just one small section. think about this... have you ever heard of people having problems with a waterbed? that is the same concept except spread over a larger space. if you dont feel comfortable with the stand though you can always build one yourself. it will be much cheaper or at least mine was. all i used was 2x4s and a sheet of plywood. you could also brace the other one more to make you feel better. just my opionion!
Old 06/14/2007, 03:09 PM
in the bathtub

Think about it this way. In which would situation would All Glass warrenty its tank: When it's sitting on an All Glass stand or a DYI stand. The have confidence it their product and engineering. I do too.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 06/14/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Yes, even though some store bought stands look flimsy and underbuilt (especially those particle board ones), wood can hold a lot more weight than most people would imagine. I also have never heard of an AGA stand failing.