Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 07/20/2004, 08:30 PM
Bucket Reefer

Congrats Marc! Looks like you have your hands full.

I look forward to seeing things develop. Good luck!
Old 07/20/2004, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Leave it to Marc to have a 2 page thread in 3 hours...
Old 07/20/2004, 09:43 PM
TRC Leader

Awesome upgrade. Gonna get more rock or have more open space? I'm jealous.

I don't know yet. I have a feeling I'll need more rock no matter what, plus of course I'll have to build a sump for it, because the one that comes with it is not to my liking.

I just had a plumber over to give me a price for moving the water heater. I think I'll just move it myself. I didn't want to have to sweat copper, but I've done it before. It just would have saved me some time having someone else do it.
Old 07/20/2004, 09:55 PM
Moved On

Dag Marc, I didnt know you were getting a monster tank. Awesome bro!

As for the water heater, dont worry about sweating it, just put it where you anta nd run cpvc to it. Then use compression fittings where you connect the copper/cpvc. Works like a charm, do it in all my houses!
Old 07/20/2004, 09:55 PM
Master of Disaster

Marc,
Any plans to sell the 55? or just possible some of the equipment.
Just pm me if you wish. Don`t want to hijack your awesome tank thread.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher if You're Stupid --John Wayne

Freedom is Flying
Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!
Old 07/20/2004, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Marc, thanks for the link to your thread. Just let us know what you would like the drip rate set at on your I.V. of caffeine.
Old 07/20/2004, 10:15 PM
Works for corals

Excellent, excellent.....
Now you can send me your sump for your 29
Old 07/20/2004, 10:21 PM
Tang Police - What a Joke

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

I just had a plumber over to give me a price for moving the water heater. I think I'll just move it myself. I didn't want to have to sweat copper, but I've done it before. It just would have saved me some time having someone else do it.
Find a plumber who is a reefer and do some trading

visit my site dedicated to reef keeping just click on my little red house.
Old 07/20/2004, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on your new tank Marc!

Have learned so much from you already, can't wait for all the new things i'm going to learn on this thread.

14 days should be a breeze for you. Good luck not that you need it.
Old 07/20/2004, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

Marc, I cannot wait to see what you're going to do with this tank! I know you're initially moving everything from the 29g and 55g over, but there's so much room for expansion in there! Your new upgrade makes me want to immediately ditch my 30g for that 125g I've been daydreaming about . I guess your ID page will have to go for a little while without being updated, but just imagine all the new corals and critters you'll be able to add to it once you start stocking that bohemoth tank! Best wishes with the new setup Marc .

p.s. - I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but your 6ft long VHO actinics are 160w/each. HTH
Old 07/21/2004, 12:42 AM
TRC Leader

Thanks guys!!!!!

160w VHOs bulbs. Thanks. Gotta remember that.

I will be selling virtually everything in the 55g setup, except for the return pump (Mag 9.5 that I'll use on the new closed loop) and all the livestock. But I'll go into that later. For those of you on RC that want stuff, I'd prefer to sell it locally to those in my club, and avoid all the hassles of shipping.

I don't know what will happen with my 29g. In a way, it is its own legacy, and I thought about using it as a quarantine system, but how many quarantines do you know of with a skimmer, PC lighting, closed loop w/ SCWD, sump and refugium?

Here's what got done this evening.

Moving the outlets will be a breeze, and the other stuff can be relocated relatively easily.

Chris, I didn't know about CPVC plumbing. Do you use CPVC for hot side only? What about the Pressure Relief Valve line?
Old 07/21/2004, 12:49 AM
Moved On

Quote:

Chris, I didn't know about CPVC plumbing. Do you use CPVC for hot side only? What about the Pressure Relief Valve line?
Well, we usually rerun all new cpvc from the copper/zinc service. However if there is copper piping in the house, we will replace/add what we need to 95% of the time in cpvc. Again we just use compression fittings where we adapt the two. It very simple. Also very neat and fast to work with. We use on both hot/cold.

I do not know how your pressure relief valve is, but up here we just run a pipe (cpvc) from the t&p to the floor. If it pops it just drains into the sump.

With your water heater being electric (right?), this should be no problem, maybe a 1 hour project if that once you have the supplies.
Old 07/21/2004, 01:35 AM
TRC Leader

Yes, it is electric. And currently, the pressure relief valve is plumbed into a drain that goes through the slab. I'm considering an install of an RO/DI unit in this room, and thus I'll access the cold water line that leads to the water heater. The RO unit's drainline can go into that copper drain line.

Last edited by melev; 07/21/2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07/21/2004, 01:53 AM
SPS PIMP

Tagging along.....

J/K Marc I wish you all the best and look forward to following your progress on this big a$$ reef
Old 07/21/2004, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

I agree with the cpvc idea. Not sure about the compression idea tho since I'm not familiar with it unless Chris you are referring to Propress which is brass. I would use copper slipxfip and then a brass mipxcpvc slip to make the transition from copper to cpvc. The cpvc fip and mip adapters can crack very easy when you torque then down. So I would buy the brass x cpvc transition fittings for a couple of more bucks.

Old 07/21/2004, 05:37 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Marc- you lucky dog!

can't wait to see how fast this project comes together!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 07/21/2004, 06:13 AM
Reeftard. Bonafide.

Looks good Marc. If anyone needs a larger tank, it's you . I use a Humidistat in the room behind the tank and it works great. I usually keep it around 40% and I hear it kicking on occasionally. So far it's been a nice way to keep humidity out of the room.

HTH and keep posting pics!
Reefing Law #22: The more a coral costs, the greater the likelihood it will die in your tank.
Old 07/21/2004, 06:33 AM
TRC Leader

First of all, thanks for the plumbing suggestions. I really didn't want to have to run copper and sweat something like 24 elbows total. I'll head up to Home Depot this afternoon for those parts.

Jeff, what is the device you are referring to, and how/where do you vent it to? And what does it cost and what does it look like? I am still going to run an A/C duct into that room for summer. Heat will be available in the winter, but perhaps will be unnecessary and I'll just close the return (vent).

I have a question about the top of my stand, or platform. What wood do you suggest I use? MDF would be so easy to slide the tank on, but as it gets wet I'd be unhappy. Unless I painted/sealed it like crazy before the tank went on it.

The tank is currently on a metal frame with only one single cross brace - all of it is made of 1 or 2" tubing - Interamerican made it for this tank. There is no solid surface on it, just the tank. Btw, there are some wooden shims between the glass (center of the tank's base) and the cross brace. I always read that tanks sit on the outer walls, so does the center panel really tend to float?

Would a sheet of plywood be better? Is it even necessary? The frame will be 2"x6" construction, with 2"x4" uprights.
Old 07/21/2004, 07:06 AM
Electrical Madman!

what....???? 2 days and no water yet? come on man!!!!!

j/k can't wait to see this thing come alive. i'd love to have a 30" base, but after having my 90 gallon, i don't want anything deeper than 24". however, if someone wanted to give me a tank that big, i guess i'd take it
Old 07/21/2004, 07:07 AM
Reeftard. Bonafide.

Quote:
Jeff, what is the device you are referring to, and how/where do you vent it to? And what does it cost and what does it look like? I am still going to run an A/C duct into that room for summer. Heat will be available in the winter, but perhaps will be unnecessary and I'll just close the return (vent).
Inexpensive device that has a wall mount controller, that operates/connects to what appears to be a larger vent in the wall/ceiling. This is attached to simple ductwork (in my case, ductwork that leads right outside the house). Basically it draws the moisture from the air and blows it out through a hose connection. Inexpensive and works extremely well. Easy to install but does require a little bit of electrical know-how and the ability to mount the box and vent, and take your ductwork (normally the simple vinyl duct variety) to an outside wall where a floating shuttle vent will open when the humidistat is running.

There is a lot of water and heat in a fish room when an in-wall tank is built and that means humidity. I felt I was better safe than sorry and didn't want to deal with any humidity problems, especially when we have the four seasons in full force here.

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...t-H46C1000.htm
Reefing Law #22: The more a coral costs, the greater the likelihood it will die in your tank.
Old 07/21/2004, 07:08 AM
Monkey

I'd leave it be if it's level.

Good luck by the way - you know everyone's going to hold you to that 14 day statement.
Old 07/21/2004, 07:09 AM
Reef Mania

It looks great!

I wish you the best of luck in setting up the new tank and moving things over to it.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 07/21/2004, 07:12 AM
TRC Leader

James, 14 days will not be a problem.

Jeff, if I understand what you've described, plus after looking at the link, that is a termostat device to control a vent fan. It comes on when humidity rises, compared to my earlier idea of one coming on when it gets hot in there. Right?
Old 07/21/2004, 07:26 AM
Reeftard. Bonafide.

Quote:
James, 14 days will not be a problem.

Jeff, if I understand what you've described, plus after looking at the link, that is a termostat device to control a vent fan. It comes on when humidity rises, compared to my earlier idea of one coming on when it gets hot in there. Right?
Bingo!
Old 07/21/2004, 07:33 AM
10 & Over Club

Marc

I would use a sheet of marine plywood with a foam sheet on top of that.