Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Question Deep tank owners

I'm building a tank that will most likely be 36" deep and would love to hear from people that have deep tanks. Pros and cons on what you like and hate about the depth of your tank. What kind of problems do you encounter, and what light are you using?

If you had it to do again would you go shallower?
Old 12/14/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

how are you gonna clean that thing ?
Old 12/14/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Big freaking magnet lol
Old 12/14/2007, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Had a 30" deep tank one... I'm a tall guy (6'3"), and there were many occasions where I couldn't reach the bottom. Next tank was only 24" deep
Old 12/14/2007, 07:15 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Great for FOWLR but for reef you better have some Monkey Arms or some long tongs

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/14/2007, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

I have a 30" tank, it's difficult, there are only a few places I can reach with my arm pit in the water, I like the looks, in fact I'm sure I'd like the look of a 36" even more but maintaining a reef in a deep tank day in and day out makes it a hassle, and I'm 6'4"
Old 12/14/2007, 09:55 PM
no time for spell check!

this tank is 4 ft deep.

Old 12/14/2007, 09:59 PM
Be the valve.

Mine's only 32" and it stretches me most of the time. But, I prefer it to my old 24".
Old 12/15/2007, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

I have a 30" column tank 47 gal. I bought it for its interesting shape and I like it. I don't need to reach the bottom all that often. If a coral falls and I need to get it I scoop it up with a big plastic kitchen spoon, the kind you use to stir soup or sauce. If a rock needs to be moved I use salad tongs. I probably need to reach the bottom once every month or two. The infrequent inconvenience is worth it because I like the look of the tank. I just bought a 290 gal tank that's 30" as well. Anything 6' or longer just looks better at 30" than it would at 24" in my opinion. It looks more balanced to me so I will gladly add a few minutes of effort to reach things at the bottom when needed. Now if I were someone who always has my hands down in the tank I might feel differently.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

I really want the depth for two reasons, 1. I think the tank will look disproportional if I don't go at least 36" and 2. I think with 400W MH the difference in Par from the sand to the surface will very greatly allowing me to have a nicely mixed reef. But will what everyone has said I might reconsider. On the other hand if I go with 36" and I feel it's too deep I can always add more sand....
Old 12/15/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

i have 30" but the canopy isnt removable and so it basically adds another 12" and i have had to balance my waist on the canopy, put on some goggles and dive in! but there is nothing like a deep tank, you will love it and now i got a good pair of tongs now and made everything much easier.
Old 12/16/2007, 02:25 AM
Premium Member

Harleyguy, I would go with 36" again for my tank. I love the extra room it gives for the coral to grow. And the fish can swim over the reef, just like the wild. With you going 120", your right anything less will look funny...

Happy Reefing
Old 12/16/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

I have a 30" tall aquarium. Wet armpits sometimes occur and getting to the very back at the bottom is more difficult than not. But when you step back and look at it, wet armpits don't matter.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

My tank is 54"x24"x40" tall. For me, you can't beat the look. Caveats are 1) that you must be careful of flow so that you don't get detrius piling up in the lower half, 2) that you should probably have an oversized overflow to sump and to skimmer to facilitate extra oxygen exchange (or stock lightly), 3) its a PITA to get to the bottom of the tank. Number 3 is not that big a deal. Its a good incentive to keep you hands out of the tank. Otherwise, get some tongs and a mask/snorkel. Also make sure there is enough room in your canopy for the upper half of your body.

In sum, with proper planning, tall works fine and looks absolutely stunning.

best of luck.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Glue your frags very well, and invest in a good snorkle. Bristle's right though. Good luck.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

than you can have a reef tank and go swimming in it, something i will never get to do. I think tall tanks look great, you will just have to struggle cleaning it.
Old 12/22/2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the insight; I think I will continue on with the 36" height. I too like the look of a deep tank and with the length of my tank I think anything less would look... well funny.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Good luck, and thank you for your service.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

I think a lot of people "think" ot will look funny but have never seen a nice looking long one. Here is a really old picture (6 months ago) of mine and it's 120" wide and only 25" tall. I wouldn't change. I can keep the bottom immaculate this way. I've had all kinds before and would never go over 30" and will probably never even do that again!

Click the red house above to visit my thread
Old 12/23/2007, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

I think the way you have it set with the crown molding, two tones and bar top/chairs gives it balance, looks very nice!
Old 12/23/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Beautiful tank. I agree, the molding makes it appear taller giving it balance. If it were done without the molding I think it would look too long and skinny.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

I really like the aquascaping, and on you tank I think the shallower depth looks great, but on my tank you have to keep in mind that it is 60" front to back. I am going to go with the 36" depth on mine so I can get more of that "total" reef took.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

oops double post sorry
Old 12/24/2007, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

oops tripple post sorry
Old 12/24/2007, 09:42 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Harleyguy
I really like the aquascaping, and on you tank I think the shallower depth looks great, but on my tank you have to keep in mind that it is 60" front to back. I am going to go with the 36" depth on mine so I can get more of that "total" reef took.
because of the depth of the tank it will look better being 36" tall. it will look alot more proportional. you can have your rock work alot different when you have the height to do it.

it may be harder to maintain the tank but with a little creativity you can make it as easy as posable to work on it.