Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/13/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

sand bed critters

What are some good things to add to the sand bed? The sand in my tank is about 3 inches at the highest point. 3" really isn't a dsb or a ssb so I figure I should probably keep it stirred up some. Which critters would you suggest?

Anything else I should know? Is about 1-3" an ok sand bed depth?

Thanks
Old 04/13/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

SInce your sand bed is mostly of aesthetic value, you can make it however you like

I would use sand sifting stars, or maybe a blenny. I think that's enough sand for a blenny.
Old 04/13/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Maybe once it gets aged a bit a sea cucumber, some nassarius snails, some sort of sand goby fish. Stuff like that will stir it up well.
Old 04/13/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

i was thinking some hermits, a yellow headed jawfish, some snails, a blue linkia star. is there anything else (i dont really want to test my luck w/ a cucumber)? What type of hermits and snails should I put in there? What do you guys think about emerald crabs?

I know, lots of question,

Thanks
Old 04/13/2007, 05:13 PM
Team RC Member

A sand sifting star will soon starve. Nassarius snails, cerith snails, maybe one fighting conch and scarlet hermits would be my choices, thats what I have in mine anyway.
Old 04/13/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

how big of a tank do the fighting conchs need? or, actually, how much sand bed room?
Old 04/14/2007, 10:07 AM
Team RC Member

No more than one or two per 100 gallons. I buy mine real small and get two years out of them before the get huge and I trade them back in on small ones again.
Old 04/14/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

how many of each snail and hermits should I have per gallon? I dont think I have a big enough tank for a conch, would be cool though.
Old 04/15/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

I wouldn't agree that your sand bed is mainly aesthetic. It's most important role is helping to provide a place for a very important denitrification process to happen! I think 3-4in deep is best for this.
I think the most imporatnat question to ask you before advising you is- what is the state of your current sand bed?

If you are having some problem like Cyano growth you should adjust phos levels, etc...before adding some bio-cleaners.

If your bed is new and you are just looking for someone to do some excess food/detritus removal you can't beat hermits- one per 10 gal works well for me. Nassarius are also fabulous. They eat leftovers and turn over the very top layer of sand so nicely, they have really cool "noses" and all come running out when I feed. I like ceriths too.

I would steer away from heavy grazers like conchs unless you've got plenty of algae growth, they will sometimes eat nori though, too. Fighting conchs get about four inches. I bet you could keep one if you supplemented its diet when you're low on algae- but steer away from queens- they get huge!

Emerald crabs do a little scavengening but are mainly herbivorous- mine loves any kind of fleshy algae and eats the nori from a clip too. He stays far away from the sand.

Stay away from sand sifting sea stars and cukes- the Tigertails are great at keeping sand clean but get pretty big. The stars fare poorly b/c they seldom get enough to eat.
Old 04/15/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, should have said at least 3-4inches deep. There is some break-down in there, even though it isn't really deep.
Old 04/15/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

the sand bed is new, I was just getting together a list of the things I should have in it to keep it doing what it is supposed to and not causing problems.
Old 04/17/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

Since it is a new bed I would go with Nassarius Snails to turn the sand They are not only good sandsifters but are very benificial to the tank by cleaning left over food and if anything should die they usually make quick work of it before it gets a chance to pollute your tank.
Old 04/17/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

yeah, i was looking at those and ceriths