Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

extra wet skimmate vs. water change

I am trying to lower the nutrients in my system (120 gallon display + 100 gallon sump), nitrates measure high (50ppm), I bet phosphate is high but don't measure. I have done several large water changes, but I know I should do more (time, school, work, Christmas shopping).

Yesterday, I was cleaning my skimmer (large downdraft) and accidentally set it way too high. Running water (not dripping) is leaving the top. Everything is still foam though - I have not raised the water level above 1/4 up my column. What I get is a 5 gallon bucket every 8 hours that is just murky enough I cannot see the bottom.

I am tempted to just plumb my skimmer to a drain (a 5 minute project) and keep replacing the skimmed water for a few weeks. The skimmed water is much higher in nutrients than the tank water, and I have to replace less water this way, and can do it more gradually.

What I am worried about is what the skimmer is taking out that is desirable (magnesium, iodine, trace elements, etc). I am still adding new water, so salinity isn't a concern, pH is monitored closely, and I test calcium/alk every once in a while.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Interesting thought. Me likes.
-J
Old 12/16/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

As long as your replacing the lost water with salt water and the evap water with rodi water you'll be fine.

Don
Old 12/16/2007, 12:27 PM
Reef Chemist

Water changes are good, and doing them by removing wet skimmate is even more effective.