Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2007, 12:54 PM

Before he does all that, look into whole house RO. There are some rather efficient ways to do this and then he can install a re-mineralizer for drinking water, coffee, ice, etc. PM for more info. on that.
Old 09/08/2007, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

pm sent

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 09/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

update... nothing to do with me getting back or getting the tank up and running, that's still at an unfortunately stand still.

but an update on my UK born "nano" tank.

I have upgrade my water movement to 2x tunze 6101's with a multicontroller. They lasted all of ten minutes before they crapped out. Seems like there are some problems to work out of the new 6101's but otherwise I'm happy. Need to get some new adapters from Tunze and hopefully that will take care of it. Its fun to watch 12,000 L/h moving water in a basically round 160L aquarium, really moves and I don't think I have to worry about dead spots anytime soon. This is of course if and when they are working.

I have also dumped the V2 skimmer, piece of crap in my opinion, even after the mods I tried, and replaced it with a tunze DOC 9005. Looking forward to seeing what it can do as I have never owned a tunze skimmer before. Apparently works completely differently from most systems so I'm interested.

Old 09/10/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

And....

Jonathan please fill me in on the house RO unit.

Jeff, I drove down to Paraquatics today and they have some NICE LPS in stock. Thought you would like the heads up.

Old 09/10/2007, 05:21 PM

I replied to your message...and am open for any further questions. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in the subject, but I certainly have studied it quite a bit.
Old 09/11/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for the delay. Im pretty busy ATM Tom but could possibly meet in a few weekends time. How long will you be over here for?

Thanks for the heads up BTW, I went there a few months ago and they had some nice stuff but it was pretty damn expensive.

Jeff.
Old 09/12/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

Let see some pics of the other tanks..

Alright I am stuck away from home. I think I am going to play with sketchup. I might be hittin you up with a question.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/12/2007, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Thanks jonathan - I'll do some research and I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you. Thanks for the help.

Jeff - No worries, this time of the year is busy around here. I will be over here for an undetermined period of time, but definetly longer then a few weeks. Just let me know when you have time. That place was pretty expensive and tiny but they do a good job for the room they have.

Eric - I'm still waiting to get a battery charger for my D80, I put an order in 2 weeks ago to a local shop and they still have not recieved it. Might have to just hope on Amazon and get it done. If you need any help with Sketchup let me know, I haven't played with it for a few weeks now but I'm happy to help.

Old 09/14/2007, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

So I made a pretty embarassing mistake with my sketchup work, and I'm not sure how I could have missed it until now but... it appears I was missing 6" of the height of my tank in the pictures. For what its worth here are some updates.

At least you all know what my tank would have looked like at a 24" height.

Still waiting for a battery charger and no visa progress...

Old 09/14/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

That's more of the open water I was envisioning... at least until its filled with corals

Old 09/14/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Ohhhh..real embarassing. hahhahahha You should see some of mine..hehheheheh

Old 09/15/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

tagging along
Old 09/15/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I like the revised version. I feel like I have a really good idea how its going to turn out. I really hope you get everything sorted out in regards to your Visa.
Old 09/16/2007, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

haha... thanks for busting my balls Eric...

Sorry about the slow progress (or no progress really) Joshuab, thanks for tagging along.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Catherine, very much appreciated.

Update on my 120g, doing well and everything is holding on without me, seems like I've finally found some people who can handle the challenge and I can trust, very much appreciated.

Update on my "UK Nano reef", the tank is done cycling and I have added a 20g sump. The little tunze skimmer is really kicking @$$. I have also added a flame angelfish and 1" clown trigger (such a cool little fish I had to give him a try) and they are doing great. A little ich on the angel but I've worked that out and she's doing great now. I have also purchased another dwarf angel, which is currently unidentified and in guaranteed in the store. Looking forward to getting it home in a little over a week and figuring out what exactly it is.

Tomorrow I'm off to Sweden and Norway for the next week and a half, wonder if I can track down any LFS in Stockholm and Oslo. Then I get the chance to go to Mumbai, India in about a month and a half and I can't wait for that, I've never been and am very excited. So at least i have something to do while I'm stuck away from home, still fighting to get back though. Wish me luck!

Old 09/16/2007, 03:20 PM

Hey, when you get the chance, can you post a pic of the skimmer in action?

Good luck with your travels!! Mumbai? What are you going to do there?
Old 09/16/2007, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Will do when I get back Jonathan, I still haven't received my damn battery charger but I will find one in Stockholm and take some pictures when I get back.

I'm actually going to India for vacation and to see if I would want to work there at some point in the future. There are great business opportunities over there and I'm considering a move a few years down the line if the money is right. Looking forward to exploring the culture, I have studied it in the past and read as much as I can, a fascinating culture that has forgotten more then most civilizations have learned.

So that's that, thanks for the well wishing.

Old 09/16/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

careful with the flame angel if your treating with copper. They dont do well with high doses.

I've spilled a drop or two of water in my day.

(click red house for my build thread)
Old 09/16/2007, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice Paul. I took care of it with fresh garlic in the food (not sure if that helped but I like to think it does) and cranked up the UV sterilizer and it cleared up overnight. I'm still watching here closed to make sure it doesn't come back, though she is eating again and shows no signs of stress.

I've actually never used copper, I usually use some reef safe product but I can't remember the name right now. Thanks!

Old 09/16/2007, 06:24 PM

garlic just seems to stimulate the appetite and typically IME pumping lots of food and vitamins will increase the fish's resistance to ich. I thought I was going to lose my PBT from a horrible ich infection, and it was the only fish that would not go in the trap. So I fed 3 times per day using garlic guard, vitamins, and frozen food I made myself (no dry food!) and the PBT healed right up and has been in great health for over a year now.
Old 09/17/2007, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

I am interested to see how you are going to like India. I think it might be ok to visit but not live. I just got back from Lake Tahoe. sweet spot. I really like it.Take some good pics and have fun. I love your pics on your site....

Old 09/17/2007, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

I am interested to see how you are going to like India. I think it might be ok to visit but not live. I just got back from Lake Tahoe. sweet spot. I really like it.Take some good pics and have fun. I love your pics on your site....

Old 10/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Sooo.... I'm back in the UK and my tank here is doing find. Still no progresson the VISA front, but looking forward to India.

Sweden was nice but I really enjoyed Norway. There is a great respect for artists and a beautiful city.

I have recently lost the battle against ICH and the flame angel died, I also got rid of the clown trigger and have added a six line which will be the only fish for a while. The six line is doing great and doesn't show any signs of infection.

I have added corals and clams as well. I got a chance to go to Bob house (from clamsdirect.co.uk) where he manages his stock. He had a great selection of clams (over 1800 in stock) and a nice selection of acros.

I have added:
-pink birdsnest with purple polpys
-Green cap with purple rim (maybe)
-Neon green stylophora
-Blue Acropora (close branching)
-Green Acropora (wide branching) with light blue tips
-Blue Tipped Acropora (close branching)
-Green/Purple Maze Brain
-Red Chalice with blue eyes
-6" Dursa Clam
-3x 2" Maxima Clams

Pictures to come soon...

Old 10/11/2007, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

oh... and I also added a Aquatronica controller which I'm very happy with. I have the salinity, ORP, pH, and temp props which were easy to calibrate and setup. This is my first crack at a aquarium controller and I'm very happy with it. My temp, pH, salinity have been much more stable and the ORP is rising. The plug bar is great and I like the fact that the main controller only has one cable running from it.

I have also begun to see this tank as place for me to try out a few things I haven't tried yet before using them on my big setup. Of course the difference in water volume will changes things significantly but at least I feel like i'm accomplishing something.
1) Barebottom instead of a DSB
Pros - I like the fact that I can really blast the tank and get great water movement with no noticeable dead spots.
Cons - I really don't like the way it looks but I will have to wait until I get some more coraline growth before making any more decisions.
2) Running Ozone
Pros - Similar results to using UV. Happy with it so far, will play with it some more.
Cons - Expensive to set up and control compared to UV.
3) Having a Aquarium controller rocks... Wish I had made the investment sooner.
Pros - A lot of control and very flexibility
Cons - Expense
4) Water movement (I have created a gyre which I reverse every 60 seconds and pulse between 3,000l/h and 12,000 l/h every 6 seconds using 2 tunze 6101's on a multicontroller)
Pros - Happy with it but will have to see how the corals respond to growth.
- Can't find an dead spots and not I don't get much settling.
- Very effective
Cons - Hard to find place for clams due to the high flow.
- The fish sometime have problems dealing with the flow close to the glass.

Pictures coming soon...

Old 10/11/2007, 12:20 PM

great news. I like that aspect of teh Aquatronica...less wires is nice. I wonder how it compares to the AquaController for other features?

I am too toying with the BB deal. I think there is less overall risj with a BB and I actually like the nice clean look. I am planning on propagating zoanthids over the bottom to creat a meat eating carpet!
Old 10/11/2007, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

I'm looking forward to comparing the different controllers as well.

I was thinking about attempting something like the zoo carpet as well. I thought there might be a problem with excessive water movement both in attaching the zoo and keeping them attached to the smooth glass. I would like to try this and I'm more then happy to be the ginny pig for this experiment... any advice for me as I'm sure you've thought about this already? Think it would be a good idea o glue them down to start with?

To everyone else... i know this tread has diverted from the large tank forum but I'm doing my best to get it back on track. I think I'm going to start constructing some things here and ship them over, at least that way I can make some progress.