Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Gluing frags

I have 10 zoa frags that are attached to little pieces of live rock. I was thinking of gluing them to bigger pieces of rock so they dont get lost.
What kind of glue is best?
Do the rocks have to be dry first?
Old 05/31/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Gel superglue is probably your best bet. Look for something with a chemical called Cyanocrylate (I believe that's how it's spelled). Duro and Loctite are some of the popular brands you should be able to pick up at your local hardware store. IC gel is also supposed to be really good, but I'm not sure if that's something you can get locally (probably is). The rocks don't have to be dry, but if you can glue them out of the water, that's best. The glue will also work underwater, but it can be a little more difficult. The trick is to press the rocks together and give them a little twist, because as soon as the glue hits the water, it forms a skin that needs to be broken.

Your second choice is to use Epoxy putty. Your LFS will probably sell it, but you can get it cheaper at your hardware store. Aquamend is the most popular brand, and I think Home Depot usually sells it. I've been using the Ace brand of underwater Epoxy, and so far, it's been my favorite. Just make sure whatever you get is waterproof and doesn't contain any metals as quite a few of them do. I also look to see if it says it's safe to use on drinking supplies. Not to say those are the only ones that are safe, but it makes me feel better. Anyway, for the epoxy, realize it doesn't really "stick" to the rocks, so you have to work it around the edges and into the crevices, so when it hardens, it anchors itself into the rock. Oh, and don't worry about the color of the epoxy. The stuff they sell that's "coraline" color never really looks like coraline, and it's going to get covered over with real coraline before long anyway.

-Mike C.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:34 AM
Moved On

Any Cyanocrylate based glue.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Make that Cyanoacrylate. The writing on my tube of glue is very, very small, and I missed the a.

-Mike C.
Old 06/03/2007, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

You can find the gel super glue anywhere. It works great.

Dry your pieces--put a drop of glue on the plug---place the coral trying not to get any glue on tissue---and then place it right into your tank away from disturbance or current. In a couple of minutes it will be set.

Why is it that as my kids get older I have less room in the shower?