Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

return pump question

The plan is to get a Dart, and soon. I was thinking, however, of some sort of dimmer switch to run the dart. Something that would vary the speed of the pump to create a variable current.

Is the a stupid idea? WIll it create excessive wear on the pump due to the change of speed? Has this been tried and I somehow missed it?

I welcome any thoughts.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

the only way to do what you want to do is to get a pump that runs off DC... AC pumps must run at a specific frequency... which is around 60hz in the US...
Old 12/11/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

flipteg is correct you can not do this with an AC powered pump. The closest thing you can do for this is perhaps getting an actuated valve, but those are not really cheap. Getting a wavemaker like a Wavysea is probably better and will more or less accomplish the same thing since the flow will be moving from side to side.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

get a ball valve and restrict the flow, this will also reduce the amount of elect. used as well.
Old 12/11/2007, 03:34 PM
will work for fish food!

Well, a dart is going to be way too big for a return IMO, unless you plan on T-ing it off to other stuff.
A better plan would be an eheim or oceanrunner as a return(3-5x flow at sump), a dart for a loop and hook to an oceanmotions squirt or 4way or something.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

I have a return manifold, so there will be about four outlets for that return.

I bought the system from another guy, who used (and kept for his own tank) a dart with it.

It's pretty cool.

I do need another dart for the closed loop.

Thanks anyway.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Another alternative is to use a powerhead with a controller.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

Split the return then place them (the outlets) carefully. If you have them going towards each other, bouncing off glass, you can get a random, turbulent flow, then since you have the CL it will mix things up more.