Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2006, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Cool liveaquaria conference in june

I just finished all my flights and registrations for the coral conference in june. How many of you will be there?

info on the conference is here i believe:
Info for the conference.

-Josh
Old 05/08/2006, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Sweet. Thanks. I won't be there. Bye.
Old 05/09/2006, 12:28 AM
How do I look?

I would like to but probably won't have the time or money. Who knows though, might be able to manage it.
Old 05/09/2006, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Anyone else that's already booked?

-Josh
Old 05/09/2006, 02:17 AM
Premium Member

I sure hope I never end up at one of those! I think you need reefer anonymous if you bought a plane ticket for the event or you need your wife to smack you!
Old 05/09/2006, 05:30 AM
Moved On

Sure are a lot of "nice" people on this site....
Old 05/09/2006, 05:39 AM
Latenight Reefer

whats so bad about this conference? It sounds like a lot of fun. It looks like they have a nice aquaculture facility.
Old 05/09/2006, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

I'm not too fussy on going to any promotion held by most companies that are selling to the hobby, especially when the "experts" are not even listed (other than Sprung) but are merely mentioned as " speaker 1" etc........
Their opinion on "experts" may not be the same as what I would consider an "expert" to be so I certainly wouldn't commit to spending money when I don't even know who they are going to be.
Old 05/09/2006, 09:21 AM
Registered my member

Quote:
Originally posted by rayjay
I'm not too fussy on going to any promotion held by most companies that are selling to the hobby, especially when the "experts" are not even listed (other than Sprung) but are merely mentioned as " speaker 1" etc........
Their opinion on "experts" may not be the same as what I would consider an "expert" to be so I certainly wouldn't commit to spending money when I don't even know who they are going to be.
The speakers are listed. I just clicked on the speakers menu and it lists the names of three people who be be speaking.
Old 05/09/2006, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

DrsFosterSmith / Live Aquaria are a first class company so I would bet it will be a great event.
Old 05/09/2006, 09:36 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by humpn247
I sure hope I never end up at one of those! I think you need reefer anonymous if you bought a plane ticket for the event or you need your wife to smack you!
Haven't made this one, but have made other Reef Aquaria conferences and had a blast. [heck, I was at IMAC a few weeks ago]

Met some great folks, found some great livestock, learned a lot ... and generally had a good time. I've gotten a lot out of getting to know people I initially `met' online and becoming in-person friends with them.

If getting together with people who love reefs + this hobby as much as I do makes me crazy ... then call me crazy
It's too much fun to completely miss out on, IMO ... nevermind often quite educational.
Old 05/09/2006, 09:43 AM
Life's better on 1 wheel

where is it?

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 05/09/2006, 09:45 AM
troublemaker

Rhinelander, WI ... the Dr's main facility + aquaculture place are there.

Lovely country, worth a few days before/after just for fishing/hiking/north-woods. Not exactly centrally located ...
Old 05/09/2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
Haven't made this one, but have made other Reef Aquaria conferences and had a blast. [heck, I was at IMAC a few weeks ago]

Met some great folks, found some great livestock, learned a lot ... and generally had a good time. I've gotten a lot out of getting to know people I initially `met' online and becoming in-person friends with them.

If getting together with people who love reefs + this hobby as much as I do makes me crazy ... then call me crazy
It's too much fun to completely miss out on, IMO ... nevermind often quite educational.

Well put, that's exactly why I go to these things!

-Josh
Old 05/09/2006, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I'm going!
Old 05/09/2006, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

I will be going. Considering I am 6 hours from Chicago or at least 100 miles from any organized clubs, I am glad Drs. Foster Smith started doing this. I think it is great that they host such things in an area that folks like me can access. And I also think it is great that they are helping to lessen the burden on wild reefs by culturing corals. I just wish I could have registered in time to get the facility tour on the weekend.
Old 05/09/2006, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Very cool, any idea what kind of frags people will bringing for the swap?

-Josh
Old 05/09/2006, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The speakers are listed. I just clicked on the speakers menu and it lists the names of three people who be be speaking.
Thanks, I missed that.
It still doesn't interest me like an IMAC convention does. Haven't been able to make one of those yet. Maybe after I retire in another 3 years.
Old 05/09/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

i'd go, if i lived within like a 3 hour drive of where the conference was, but i dont
Old 05/14/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

This should be a blast, anyone else going?

-Josh
Old 06/27/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

I went to this event, there was a huge showup. I believe they said there were 400 people attending. The aquaculture facility really is a site to see, filled with beautiful specimens. The people organizing and running this event did an excellent job!

-Josh
Old 06/28/2006, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

I was there also. I was having a conversation with some of the staff and they said attendance was in the 450 range (almost double from last year). They also said that next year they expect 800 or more and are planning improvements to the event and possibly bigger indoor meeting accommodations. All types of people there and everyone was very friendly. Lots of traders (more than I expected). When checking in to get your badge they hand you this giant bag of free stuff-3 tshirts, various supplies, medications, supplements, water testing kits, fish food, 2 aquarium hobby magazines etc. Not samples either-full size products. My grab bag included a big bottle of a product I didn't know about called Purple Up for coraline algea. Its ironic that I was expecting an order of live rock for 2 new nano tanks right after the event. I will be going again next year.
Old 06/28/2006, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Should be a great conference. Kevin has a passion for corals, and the hobby in general. I'm sure it'll show in this event

I'm considerring flying out from CA for this event. I'd love to see my reefer friends on that side of the moon, er, country Like you Mark

I attend all the major conferences as part of my job, and I try to make it to most the smaller ones as well
Old 06/28/2006, 07:37 PM
Keeper of Tangs

sure wish i could attend
Old 06/28/2006, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

I went as well, it was great!

I attended the first one and last time there were only about 6 people with frags, but it was still fun.

The speakers were great especially Sprung, and they all knew what they were talking about.

I picked up more then $200 in frags! (I also won four times in the raffle including winning a 12 gallon nano tank with all the gear for it!)

Great time, I reccomend to anyone who loves reefing, come next year!