Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Please ignore the background noise, my camera pics up everything.

Old 11/21/2007, 11:42 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

looks pretty good
Old 11/21/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Wow you're fast! lol tyvm
All you have to do now Rich is tell me where the Prostrata and Valida go..

Sorry the vids are a touch grainy. I'm guessing it's not too bad for a digi-cam.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Wow, those clowns make your tank look like its more like a 30 or 60 cube. Now I understand why they kept going through the teeth.

Looking really good.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

ctreefer- Thanks! It does look huge from some perspectives. I actually thought about that when I put these videos up- if I post them in CTARS with no specs on my system everyone is going to think my tank is alot larger than a nano..

For size perspective the Crocea is 1 5/8"
Old 11/22/2007, 12:31 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

lol... hmmm on top of any of the rocks so they can have a ton of growing room
Old 11/22/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Something really weird happened right after I fed the clowns and right before I shut the lights for the evening. I noticed I could see through the top of the water. Something had happened to all the flow. I checked the return pump and the Korallia and they were both running fine.

Am I losing my mind here? Everything appeared to be normal again after 5-10 minutes.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:24 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

weird.... you have it set on feed mode? haha
Old 11/22/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

Huh that really is strange. How long were you staring at the tank b4 the still water? Too long obviously
Old 11/22/2007, 03:52 AM
Registered Member

It was really really strange. OMG maybe I'm just getting old..

Well everything looks fine- now. Of course the Monti Cap I put up has fallen...I knew it would..I'll fix it in the afternoon when I can see. I noticed it's sitting straight up, flat, and not getting tossed so it should be fine.

I've finally gotten the light on a timer. I had bought a black workshop extension cord at Lowes so that I could plug directly into the GFCI unit. The plug from the ballast runs across to the timer. I like this very simple Current USA timer because there is a clearly marked switch for timer and power. With a quick slide I can turn the light on whenever I need to- regardless of the timer setting..I like this.

The light will run from 3pm until 11:30pm- an 8.5 hour photoperiod. That's pretty much what I've been running manually now for the last couple weeks.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:18 AM
TRC Leader

Nice videos; watched them all. By now I have to imagine your clowns are tired with all that flow. I'm tired and all I had to do was watch the for 2 minutes.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Wow those clowns are REALLY small. I'm with Marc...that was exhausting just watching them fight the flow. You SPS sure will love it though.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!
Old 11/23/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Just as the tank is looking perfect and I have everything in order I come home from Thanksgiving Dinner to find little Button(my smallest clown) dead on the floor.... The weird flow thing seems to be going on again- I'm at a loss for this.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:37 AM
TRC Leader

Sorry to hear that.

Is the flow only created with a single pump, and did it happen after you put food in the water again?
Old 11/23/2007, 12:39 AM
Enjoying Life

Yeah, I said something earlier to him about the flow.....
Old 11/23/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

melev and reefman13- I hadn't put food in since around 2:45pm this afternoon. I returned from my family's around 11:45pm. The lights were still on and I only saw four clowns. I didn't feed the tank again till after I found him. The area where I found him corresponds to the highest waterline part on the tank. I might have to put something over the tank- or at least over that corner when I leave the house from now on.

I'm just upset..these guys were doing so well, and I had gone out of my way to try and create a safe environment for them...

The flow issue is just plain weird. I can almost see through the top at points. The return flow seems reduced, but the intake feels almost the same. The Korallia feels- maybe a touch off. ehh I'm just bummed....the tank looks so good too...
Old 11/23/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that man. I lost both of my onyx percs due to jumping. High flow and open top nano tanks come with a price. You will definitely have to cover your tank or get something for them to host down low if you want to keep those clowns in the long run. I actually lost one while I had an eggcrate cover on. The other jumped while I was home, I put him back in but he just didn't make it, probably due to brain damage. I don't think I will keep clowns again in an open top tank.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

I have never heard of clowns jumping that is so strange. Was he being chased or did he just feel he didn't have enough room? Thats the question to answer so you know why.

When fish jump and look as though they are going to die the best thing you can do for them is hold them in front of flow. This will be like giving them CPR and helping them breath again FYI

Good luck with everything

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 11/24/2007, 02:59 AM
TRC Leader

Clowns jump. That isn't unique, and it is unfortunate because they are beautiful fish. I lost a True Percula years ago, and the other one just seemed so lonely after that. I got it a BTA instead, and it has been in it ever since.

I didn't even think about that and this being an open-top tank. A top flange that is removable might be a nice option. It could sit on top and be removed any time you need it out of the way. It would be very unlikely the clown would jump out the center, as they tend to hug the walls when going vertical.
Old 11/24/2007, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

Tank looks great dude!! How do you like it with no substrate? I guess all that flow kicks up everything laying around on the bottom.
Old 11/24/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Poor poor Button. Sorry for your lose my friend.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

I lost a few clowns and still have never been able to find them... I think they took a floor dive and my dog got them... I searched the entire tank and sump and never found a sign of them...
Old 11/26/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about Button. Similar thing happened to my true perc about 2 months ago. I was fortunate that my wife noticed it within probably 5 minutes.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Sorry that you lost one of your clowns.I've only had a blue spot jaw fish jump out of my 215 had him for a day.Anyway your tank looks good