Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 10:43 PM
My tank is too full

Looking for inspiration

Ok, I am at a quandary. I am either going to do a 180, 72x 24 x24 or a 150, 60x 24 x24. The extra 30 gallons means a lot in regards to equipment, but the extra 12 inches means equally a lot in tank and cabinet room.

The main thing I am addressing right now in the cost of equipment upgrade. I have a maristar 4' right now and I really enjoy it. If I went with the 150, I probably would not need to upgrade my lights right away. My skimmer is an older version of the euroreef RS c-2, which is equivalent to the 135. My calcium reactor is rated to 250 gallons, but I have a lot of acros so this will also be needing an upgrade. I have a tradewinds 1/4hp chiller, so it would be better on the 150, but I could get by on the 180.

I guess the main thing I want to run by is my lighting design. Going with the 6', If I center my maristar in my canopy that would leave 12 inches on each side. I was thinking of adding a PFO mini pendant to each side on a 30 degree (or so) block that would reflect the light back towards the center of the reef.

I really don't know how I would be able to add any VHO's to this set up as is. I might need to ditch my maristar and get the 6 footer or do pendants and vho's.

Any ideas would be great, but I am really interested in hearing about canopies and how your lights play into your tanks accessibility.

I like the idea of a full opening canopy that flips up, but that would leave no are for actinics in the front.

If this is confusing, please ask questions. There are a lot of smart and resourceful people here and I need your input. Picture are also welcome.

I just don't want to order a custom tank without thinking of 92% of the things before hand. Thanks again.

To thine own self be true

Last edited by Marko9; 12/26/2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:33 PM
Reef Cowboy

I'm going from a 48"x18"x20" 75g to a 60"x24"x24" 150g for a lot of the same reasons... Most of my equipment will transfer, my cost and hassle to run it won't increase too much and I get plenty of new real estate. Plus I LOOOVE the aesthetics of the proportions.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

I have always liked the look of a canopy with a retro mounted in it. I like the piano hinge style opening that allows for great access to the tank and plenty of space for lighting. You can even mount Actinics on the lid and it will open and close with no problems. You could possibly mount the Maristar in there as well with the actinics on the lid. The AGA Mission series canopies have these type of openings.

4x250MH or 3x250( depending on tank choice) with T5's or VHO's would do the trick. You could go with some Luminar's or Reef Optix if you want HQI's. I take it the tank will be SPS on top and LPS on the bottom?

My 200g at home had these type of doors on both sides (penisula style tank) and it works really well. It is a 30" wide
tank though.

I would go with Eurobracing as well or run 400watters if not. If not cleaned VERY often center bracing blocks a TON of light!
Old 12/26/2007, 11:59 PM
My tank is too full

I am definitely going to go Eurobracing. I have the mission series on my 90 and that is why the like the full hinge.

I think if I do the 72", I will end up with 4 x 250 DE.

I will probably do a false top with just a center 2 x 4 to mount my lights to help with heat release.

I was thinking the canopy would have an inside area of 12 inches off the the bracing. The maristar is 14 across and almost 5 inches tall, So I know I can fit a row of VHO's across the back and depending on how I frame the hinge, I might be able to get one acoss the front as well.

Old 12/27/2007, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

my vote would be the 150. you're used to the lighting bill; won't be to much more on the maintenance wallet for water changes.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:16 AM
My tank is too full

To be honest, If I can make the 180 works, I will go that way as I have over 140 hard corals in my collection. That also does not include my yumas and zoas. I really don't want to have to keep my garage tank anymore.

I could always just use my current lighting and get everything re-dialed in and then revamp the lighting then.

Old 12/27/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

I have owned several several 180's. Man was that alot of work. I had to down size. I just couldnt keep up with all that it needed IMO.

Out of the 150 or 180 i think i would go 150. If i ever did a 180 again it would be fish only.

I love cubes if i ever got a huge tank again it would be like a 240 cube Now that is SICK
Old 12/27/2007, 12:31 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

BIgger is ALWAYS better.. LOL

" Charles V "
Old 12/27/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

My VHO lights don't go all the way to each end/side of the tank and things like zoas and my sebae anenome prefer these less well-lit areas. A little less light in these areas also hides powerheads better (near the back of the tank) and maybe there's a bit less light on the sides for algae fuel.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:21 PM
My tank is too full

Thanks everyone for their input, but with my current collection and my obession for more, I think I will try to handle the 180.

I have a few ideas in my head and I got to run a few by a couple fellow reefers that I respect this afternoon, so I will be updating a new thread as I go on from here.

Old 12/27/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

I have a couple of the Maristar fixtures too on my 96" long tank. On a 6' tank, like you said, you could still use your maristar, but maybe slide it all the way to one end and add another 24" 250w hqi / T5 fixture on the other end?
I dunno, just a random thought...

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff
Old 12/27/2007, 11:45 PM
My tank is too full

Jeff, I was thinking that as well. Sorry that I was not able to introduce myself as you were leaving this aftrenoon.

Old 12/28/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

crap, that was you?? sorry we didn't get a chance to talk reef! I had to get my wife out to her horse barn for an afternoon lesson so we were on a tight schedule. I'm sure we'll cross paths again!

Jeff
Old 12/28/2007, 02:33 AM
Premium Member

Mark,

When i had my 180, I ran 3x 250 xm10k with 4x72" VHO on a Hamilton retro. The color and growth was awesome.

I have a couple of Hamilton 72" fixtures, retro and deluxe unit if your interested.

Ed
Old 12/28/2007, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have a few ideas in my head and I got to run a few by a couple fellow reefers that I respect this afternoon, so I will be updating a new thread as I go on from here.
What...you don't value our opinion?
Old 12/28/2007, 11:55 AM
My tank is too full

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ4417
What...you don't value our opinion?
C'mon now. I am already walking on eggshells around here

I think I just need to wait and see. I have a few major decisions coming around the corner here. The 180 seems the right way to go for me and my obsession. All the other equipment I am good with and know what I want. I just still need to figure out the best and most accessable lighting combination. I really did not want to get rid of my maristar as they are not cheap and there is no way to get even close what I paid for it.

My tank will we all about progress, rather than perfection. Looks like I need to get this thing ordered.

Thanks Ed for the offer. Can you PM me some details and any ideas about do's and do nots.

Old 12/28/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

just out of curiosity, are you going to to glass or acrylic? also, what bulb combo have you been running in your maristar?

Jeff
Old 12/28/2007, 03:19 PM
My tank is too full

I am going to do starfire and eurobracing, most likely from leemar.

I am running the Helios 20k as my halides. My front bulb is ATI aquablue (12K) and my back in an ATI actinic+ (22K)

I have run giesemann 12.5, 14.5, and pheonix's all with ATI actinic+ x2 as my supplemtation. I wanted to try something that isn't so blue this time at the end of the day when I am sitting down with my family.