Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 08/08/2005, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

No offense guys but this thread is about acans !And i wonder why reef central is dead?i remember something about mr calfo raising cain about acan prices when at the same time or a week or so earlier(you know how storys grow and get told )he had sold some cherry lords for a pricey bit of money!the storyteller said that he also had a bunch of nice acans in his tanks at home to sell also .I dont no the validity of it but the person seems trustworthy ?
Old 08/08/2005, 12:41 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Sounds to me like they are hardy and grow quickly. If that is true, then it is entirely possible to grown quite a few in a short period of time. That's cool because that means another home-grown critter for us to keep.
Old 08/08/2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for deleting my whole post instead of just editing out the part that belonged in pm

Any way, I doubt that eric's thread had much to do with the fad. If you look at the begining, this pic is what got people to look at their blastos and candy canes that just never looked like the rest and realize they had a gem:

I also dont know whats up with anthony's obsesion with the "price fixing consiracy". A few people managed to get some truly rare and insane colored acan lords, possibly throught illegal ways, and they charged alot of money for them. Well alot of people paid that much and no one was holding a gun to their heads. I also have never heard anything about people dying because they weren't able to get enough acan(although some may claim that ).

All I have to say is, if you like it, buy it. If your selling it, sell it for what you want.
Old 08/08/2005, 02:26 PM

^^^ Pictures like that aren't lessening the demand side... *drool*
Old 08/08/2005, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

I have 4-5 pieces that look exactly like those in that pic. Cooooool!

Peace,

Chip
Old 08/08/2005, 05:59 PM
Parapterois heterura

my friends... lets nip the oh-so unreliable grapevine/rumor mill in the bud right quickly:

I have never sold an acan for any price... ever. High or low. And... I have not sold any coral(!) for money in almost five years.

Instead... I donate what little coral I produce nowadays to hobby clubs (to help them raise money to pay for airfare to fly me in for the free lectures that I give) and to public aquaria, research projects etc.

When I did(!) sell corals en masse for the decade prior to that... it was wholesale only.

That should hopefully clear this issue up. For those folks spouting rumors... please do check your facts first lest you look foolish (or more foolish than usual).

Keckles - that's for the clarity and lucid posts Spot on my friend!

To all... re: the price-fixing and collusion, I can only say that more than a few industry professionals have been asked to consult on some serious federal violations of poaching and fraud. I for one have seen shared seller IMs, PMs, photos of confiscated or intercepted shipments and more.

And that... is the last I may well say publically on the matter. Investigations are ongoing I frankly have no place to speak to/of Customs or Fish and Wildlife investigations.

Anthony
Old 08/08/2005, 06:07 PM
Parapterois heterura

marillion/Chip - my apologies mate... but I must say that we/authors are out of the loop on layout and image selection. We only provide text and some of our own pics. Have you chatted with Skipper before? I'm sure the image was not used intentionally without permission. Skipper can/will chime in here to clarify I'm sure.

ReeferMac/Mac - would you be kind enough to clarify your allegation? I'm sure most of us here really have no idea what you are talking about.

Wayne - does my preceding post satisfy your concern for slander? The need to not impede ongoing investigations for what little consultation some of us have done. Furthermore... where exactly is it that you see slander? Who was named? I'm speaking frankly to you here... not to incite. These are fair questions I think.

... all due respect.

kind regards to all,

Anthony
Old 08/08/2005, 07:09 PM
RC Admin

I believe ReeferMac has his Staff members confused.

Mark sold an Acan colony a number of months ago:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=535675

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 08/08/2005, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mhurley
I believe ReeferMac has his Staff members confused.
I have Staff ?!?!?! I wasn't aware I was a company!
You ever go by the name of skinnychinaman, Anthony? Remember a conversation about an 'unkown and rare' Echinophyllia for sale on aquadesigns? I believe you and I hashed that one out over PM a few months ago.

- Mac
Old 08/08/2005, 08:05 PM
Editor - Reefkeeping

No, Mac. Anthony Calfo is NOT skinnychinaman. That's an entirely different fella who goes by the name of Anthony.
Old 08/08/2005, 08:06 PM
Parapterois heterura

easy there Mac...

misplaced modifiers and all.

Mike means you have confused the alleged seller of acans with another of our RC Staff members.

Could you (Mac) now please be direct with names here. Who are you accusing of selling acans at inflated prices?

As for skinnychinaman (aquadesigns) he has some very... er, interesting corals. He must have amazing sources.
Old 08/08/2005, 08:07 PM
Parapterois heterura

crossed in cyberspace

Thanks Skipper
Old 08/08/2005, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
marillion/Chip - my apologies mate... but I must say that we/authors are out of the loop on layout and image selection. We only provide text and some of our own pics. Have you chatted with Skipper before? I'm sure the image was not used intentionally without permission. Skipper can/will chime in here to clarify I'm sure.
No worries, Anthony. I never made the connection in the chatroom the other night when some of the guys were drooling over my pics. "Skipper" was mentioned as being someone who would really want to use my pics, and I had no clue as to what the guys were talking about. Of course, I didn't even have *that* go thru my head until later after I left the chat. My mind is shot, you see.

I now know the drill, and have given permission for RC to use whatever pics of mine they want with credit given.

Thanks for addressing it, regardless. True class.

Peace,

Chip
Old 08/08/2005, 08:32 PM
Parapterois heterura

all good bro... I do appreciate/cherish photo credits and rights myself I sure didn't want us to be remiss on yours/anyone elses!

be chatting,

Anth-
Old 08/09/2005, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
Mike means you have confused the alleged seller of acans with another of our RC Staff members.
Indeed I have, and you have my apologies for that.
One of the reasons I don't partake much in this forum any longer. Too many things just aren't worth the effort, I've better things to do w/ my time in life. This being a prime example.

Too many Anythony's in the hobby, I guess.
My apologies again for confusing you w/ another 'Anthony".

- Mac
Old 08/09/2005, 10:34 AM
Moved On

It's a shame a few bad apples give all of us "true" collectors a bad name!
Old 08/09/2005, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

i know. it's sad.
i love acans colors not how much they are worth. what makes them special is there vivid colors. not how much i can sell them for.
Old 08/09/2005, 12:26 PM
Parapterois heterura

ah, no worries Mac/all

We of course should not let the few bad apples or outspoken minority ruin it for the quiet majority that are good folks and responsible reef keepers.
Old 08/09/2005, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Everebody exspecialy Anthony Calfo I'd like to say that what i had said about anthony selling acans was not mr calfo but another anthony on the internet .iI am very sorry and i wish i had not of said anything at all!After anthony posted i felt pretty bad but after i remembered that it was not even the right guy i felt like seal poop!So hopefully no hard feelings but thats easy to say from my end sincerely sorry Oddballs!
Old 08/09/2005, 06:00 PM
Moved On

It takes a real Man/woman to admit they were wrong
Old 08/09/2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

thanks jusreefin !
Old 08/09/2005, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

i think the anthony you are refering to is this guy...
http://aquadesignz.com/lps.htm
my god.. close to $1000 bucks for an acan..
is it me or is this just plain ridiculous. im a newbie and even then my 3 polyp acan has 5 in just 6mths.
i was amazed at the colors but equally amazed at the price. jeez.
Old 08/09/2005, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Well, it may be rediculus, but try and find those colors anywere else
Old 08/09/2005, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Those look like Japanese Lords.

Time to start taking bets...

Peace,

Chip
Old 08/09/2005, 11:26 PM
Parapterois heterura

no hard feelings at all, oddballs... no worries.

I generally don't rattle or get upset easily as I truly believe that people are inherently good.

plus... I sure do make my share of mistakes, jumps to conclusions, etc

kind regards to all,

Anthony