Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/29/2006, 04:29 PM
TRC Leader

Gallandro - if you are referring to my site, that was a few years back when my appendix ruptured within me and I didn't know for 5 days. I ended up with peritonitis, and wasn't able to do anything for the first month, and then after two months was finally able to start going back to work.

That would have been a great time to own a laptop, as I was stuck in bed for a long time. There are some threads about it here on RC, buried in the archives. Here's one: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...light=appendix
Old 03/29/2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Sugar .. sorry to hear it. glad you got well.
Old 03/29/2006, 09:43 PM
Huh?

Hey Marc ( and everyone too ) out of curiosity have you've ever tried Purigen? I have been and am currently running carbon (Marineland Black Diamond) for a couple of years (as of two weeks I am using a phosban reactor with it) and I have to admit that my water has always looked great because of it (IMO).

As of late I have been looking into other filter medias when people started threads asking about opinions on them (at random). It was first started with the whole carbon chart, then later with someone asking about "Hydrocarbon", and in the end with Purigen. In a line up I would choose to go with Black Diamond (from experience) or Purigen (Based solely on reviews).

I see Randy's point about the topic and am more apt to stick with carbon, but would like to hear more views on the matter. What's your (all of you) opinion?
Old 03/29/2006, 09:56 PM
Will work 4 corals

I have been using Hydrocarbon and Purigen for the last 2 months and my water has never been clearer.

So shoot me!
Old 03/29/2006, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

I've been using Kent Reef Carbon for years, but am apt to try Black Diamond and Purigen as well, so please... Tell me (us) what you think?
Old 03/29/2006, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

Marc, what happened to the pics from the first few pages after the split?

colleen
Old 03/29/2006, 11:50 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

WOw, just read that whol Appendix thread! Crazy stuff. I had my appendix out in 1994. mine was taken out right before it burst and the before and after was one of the worst pains Ive ever felt! I dont know how you managed to go a week with it. I lasted less than 24 hrs before hitting the emergency room. And i was told if it had burst i woulve been in a world of trouble. I guess you were! Took me 2 weeks just to walk from the incision alone!
Old 03/30/2006, 12:40 AM
Premium Member

Had my appendix remove when I was 9,( all most burst.Doc said it popped just as he placed it in the dish) friend of the family told me a story on how he would stand on his IV pole and skoot around the halls. Well at 9 there was no way I was going to pee in the plastic container, so I started down the hall way.It had only been 2 hours after the surgery. I made it to the bath room and half way back, when I opened my eyes to see my mother loosing it on a couple of nurses.I thought she was going to kill me!!!!amd the family freind.Need less to say I survived! However the next couple of weeks where hard.I still must have been jacked up on the meds when I went for the ride to the bathroom.
Old 03/30/2006, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

For a second there I thought you where going to say on your trip to the bathroom down the hall, you forgot you where in a hospital gown, with open air access to the back-side. And you where unknowingly showing all the nurses your "Bare Bottom"...

Buy hey, when you got to go, YOU GOT TO GO!
Old 03/30/2006, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

I got my appendix pulled in 1996, in the Navy, on the Enterprise, in the Persian Gulf. Sucked. The infirmary had no AC, and all the Navy would give for pain was Ibuprofen.
Old 03/30/2006, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

well, i had mine out 2 summers ago - they were able to scope me with 3 small holes - made recovery pretty easy - so, things have gotten better
Old 03/30/2006, 01:00 PM
TRC Leader

I thought Jake was going to say he started peeing way before he got to the bathroom.

I did a 55g water change two days ago, so I began dosing today. I'm going to hold off on ReefBooster for at least two weeks.

New schedule:
Old 03/30/2006, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Melev, up for a sump pump question ?
Old 03/30/2006, 01:07 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDTHING
Marc, what happened to the pics from the first few pages after the split?

colleen
They are there now, as I just checked.

Regarding Purigen: I've never used it, nor felt the need to. I'm noticing a trend with some reef keepers in that they want the water to be crystal clear. My thinking is that it is great to have clean water to view your reeflings, but perhaps crystal clear is taking it a bit too far. Many corals eat particulates, and stuff floating about in plankton-size should be beneficial.

I used to never do water changes, years ago. The water quality looked good testkit-wise and the livestock looked happy. However, the water was a tad off-colored, usually leaning in the green / yellow coloration. If you have two white buckets, drain 5g into one and fill the other bucket with newly aged saltwater (mixed 24 hours minimum) to compare. If they look about the same, the water is good. If the used water looks darker or dirty, odds are you need to do a water change.

Water changes seem to take care of most situations. Running carbon can be beneficial to remove chemical warfare and general stuff exuding out of soft corals and especially mushrooms. I found this article to be very practical: http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon.htm

None of my tanks use sponges, pads, filter socks, or products like Purigen or ChemiPure. Running carbon on my big reef has been a good option, but I don't run it on the other tanks.

Hint: If you want your tank to look really good, clean the inside regularly, and the outside with water and paper towels. You'd be amazed how good it looks just having a clean viewing panel.
Old 03/30/2006, 01:08 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Gallandro
Melev, up for a sump pump question ?
Sure. What's the question?
Old 03/30/2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Completed all the Acrylic cuts for my nano sump, but puzzling over which put to get. I normally default to Eheim, but the larger Universal range is physically to large, and the small compact pumps I dont think are powerfull enough (150lph-1000lph 2.0m 23)
I fancey trying the Newjet pumps specs below, but whch ?
NeW-Jet 400 120 - 400lph
NeW-Jet 600 200 - 600lph
NeW-Jet 800 300 - 800lph 2.0mtr
NeW-Jet 1200 400 - 1200lph
NeW-Jet 2300 1200 - 2300lph
NeW-Jet 3000 1500 - 3000lph

Pump will have to pump up 1mtr .. Tank holds 15 gallons
Old 03/30/2006, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

15 uk gals is about 65ltrs, all pumps say a max hight of 2mtrs, so I guess thats there min flow rating. Assuming an even curve and a turnover fo 4 - 5 times an hour (325ltrs). the smaller pumps may do the job.
Old 03/30/2006, 01:53 PM
Say Cheese!!

Was that a question?

:P

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.
Old 03/30/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

yes but no but ... I think so ?!
Old 03/30/2006, 02:05 PM
TRC Leader

More like open to discussion.

2 meters is 6 feet for us, roughly speaking. You don't have to push water up more than 4', correct? Sounds like the smallest one will do the job. What I would suggest is you get one, and find out for yourself. If you like it, get a second one as a backup pump. Never leave your system unprotected, not having a backup pump available. When you need it, you can't wait a couple of days or a week for it to arrive.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Ye 4' ;-) get one and find out for myself ? I was looking for a bit of guidence so I dont waste money. I guesed on a smaller one. Ill get one slightly bigger than the numbers say, I can always turn it down. thanks.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

.. and yes, I to live by the rule of two.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:14 PM
RainbowAcro

Second Marks recomendation on a back-up. Around here, a replacement pump will cost you an arm and a leg at the LFS. A ViaAqua that is $27 at MarineDepot is $127. Don't even ask about a good pump like a eheim or mag, etc.

If you have a closed loop however, you might be able to risk it, as the tank should survive fine with just the CL going.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Oooo my engineer brain is going now doing overtime. How about two pumps both connected with a flow sensor on the first. If it fails, the second automatically kicks in .. hmm nice.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I'm going withthe largest Ehieim Compact. well two of. 16 euros in Germany. plenty or scope for two there.