Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 09/11/2005, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

SWEET! Now that is more like it! That plumbing looks like it will give you pretty much completely unrestricted flow. Whatever the max flow of a Dart is, you should be getting that much in your tank now. Congrats.

I'm guessing there could be 1 of 2 reasons that the bulkhead is leaking. 1) you have it screwed in too tight. Contrary to popular belief, bulkheads should not be overtightened or they will leak. 2) The bend of the spa flex is torquing the bulkhead. This "might" be fixable by heating up that bend so it forms better instead of trying to straighten back out.
Old 09/11/2005, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

Well I'm at it again. Last night for 2 hours I was on 4 leaking bulkheads. As I tried different methods of installing them I did them all one at a time.

At first I thought maybe if I wet the gasket it might be better,but in wasn't. So I fixed 2 by drying off the gaskets completly. That worked for those 2.

Then I had 2 on the bottom. After repositioning the one 5-6 times and drying the gasket and using a pipe wrench ever so slightly I fixed that one.

Now I'm down to the one!!!! I tried it all. Nothing it still leaks. It went from leaking when a little water was in the tank which was great!!!! To now only leaking when I fill it all the way up

So I read all night about the proper installation of Bulkheads. I have to tell you it is basically a Silicone or no silicone debate!! Just like BB or DSB.. I couldn't stop laughing last night at people arguing over to silicone or not to silicone.

I know silicone is the wrong way to to install a bulkhead but I'm at a lose There is a slight noticable smear of PVC glue on the gasket but I got most of it off.

Maybe I should try favoring one complete side of the hole itself?

I would love to try another Bulkhead BUT
I don't think I have enough PVC area to glue if I do try to cut it out. SO I might have to wait to the new DUBVs come and plumb them in.

I bought all of Lowes DUBV's and the next town overs lowes. I tried HD and they have nothing. PLUS!!! I have 2 orders of DUBV's on order. I have 3 on order from Aquatic ECO which is back ordered and 3 on order with Savko!!!!

See no room to cut in. Also those DUBVs are all different then the ones from Lowes so it's not just a easy swap.

Last edited by arconom; 09/11/2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09/11/2005, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Well I finally realized I could switch gaskets I just pulled it off the flange side. AND the new gasket hasn't helped
Old 09/11/2005, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

It sounds like the problem is due to the spa flex pulling on the bulkheads. I would not use silicone to fix the problem. I don't recommend silicone either way, but I would highly recommend against it in this situation. In an unleaking situation I guess it is ok to use as a buffer against future leaks. But it should not be used in a leaking situation. You need to fix the problem at the source not put a band-aid on it. If you silicone it the way it is, it is likely that down the road the silicone can fail because of the plumbing torquing the bulkhead and then you will have a problem. Might as well do it right while you are still in the set up stages. You do have enough room there to chop the bulkhead off and there will still be enough pvc sticking out of the union to add a coupling fitting and attach it to another bulkhead. I have a feeling a sch 80 bulkhead would fix your problem. They have nice thick gaskets that are more forgiving. I like the Hayward sch 80 bulkheads.
Old 09/11/2005, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

You really think I have enough to chop it ?? I have 4 bulkheads laying around. I thought I wouldn't have enough PVC to glue. I will have about 1" left. Thats enough you think ? I thought I have to bottom it out into the bulkhead?

So had the coupling to which section?

Add coupling to the 1" left then put a piece another piece of PVC and glue that in the bulkhead?
Old 09/11/2005, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Well I did it

I will keep you updated.
Old 09/11/2005, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Yup, that was what I meant. Hope it worked for ya.
Old 09/11/2005, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Well after changing bulkheads and fixing the placement of the bulkhead inside the glass hole itself I have no leaks.

Travis I notice slight cocking of my DUBV and coupling section due to increased length. Due you think it's a major issue? The yellow arrow is showing that it is getting force from the left side.

Old 09/11/2005, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Well since my Wife doesn't use this new Baby Monitor and only likes the old one. I decided to put it do good use

Lets see what we have on video

This is the productive one

Old 09/11/2005, 07:52 PM
Moved On

Looking good, tagging along!
Old 09/11/2005, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

New shots

Still no leaks Travis

Flow picture. the PVC on the trim is just a spare piece it's there for no reason

Old 09/11/2005, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Video

Old 09/11/2005, 09:30 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

NICE...looks liek you got a lot of flow and glad you got everythign fixed!!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 09/11/2005, 09:52 PM
The Original Happy Banana

It doesn't look like that there is a whole lot of pressure now on that...looks pretty good.

A lot of people don't think about just how much pressure it takes to bend "spa-flex." It's still pretty rigid!

Hope it is all working out so far!
Old 09/11/2005, 10:52 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

LOL nice baby monitor...well i guess the tank is prolly your baby

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 09/11/2005, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arconom
Travis I notice slight cocking of my DUBV and coupling section due to increased length. Due you think it's a major issue? The yellow arrow is showing that it is getting force from the left side.
Nothing to worry about. That is what is so nice about spa-flex... it is forgiving.

Looks like you've got some decent flow in there now. Glad things are turning around for ya.
Old 09/12/2005, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

Well it's the next day and no leaks.

Also do you really think it's not to much pressure on the glass?

I'm not sure what I should do next at this point

Also do guys have any suggestions on how to quiet down the PVC going to the sump.
Old 09/12/2005, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

Also do guys have any suggestions on how to quiet down the PVC going to the sump on page 4. Alot of gurgling sounds
Old 09/12/2005, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Also do guys have any suggestions on how to quiet down the PVC going to the sump on page 4. Alot of gurgling sounds
You should have an air vent similar to how a durso is. After the bulkhead, add a T. Then after the T you can add your elbow to go down to the sump. On the top part of the T, add another length of pvc pipe and either leave the top open or cap it off and drill a hole for air to enter.
Old 09/12/2005, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Not sure about the pressure. Hard to tell without being there and knowing what kind of pressure is being transferred to the glass.

Do what disbjohn said. BTW, he means putting the Tee on the side of the bulkhead that is outside the tank. Kind of like an external durso. I've seen it done before but have never tried it myself.
Old 09/12/2005, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Not sure about the pressure. Hard to tell without being there and knowing what kind of pressure is being transferred to the glass.

Do what disbjohn said. BTW, he means putting the Tee on the side of the bulkhead that is outside the tank. Kind of like an external durso. I've seen it done before but have never tried it myself.
thanks for clarifying that.
Old 09/12/2005, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

I'm going to work on it now. I might wait untill I get the DUBVs in the mail and replumb that area that has pressure.
Old 09/12/2005, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Before

Now, Take note I'm still deciding on if I should just drill the cap and glue it in place or Extend the T and add a 90 and then cap.
Remember everything after the T is not glued. ALSO I know I have to drill the Plug/Cap

Old 09/12/2005, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Well things are moving along. My Bro-inlaw and I went to Lowes and bought a 1" union which my bro-inlaw found. It worked perfect for the section that was causing stress on the tank itself. We just used one side of the union and the other side matched up with the old DUBV.

Tommorow I will fill the tank back up with water and check for leaks.

One major concern I have Atm is my lighting system. I am afraid of putting this heavy Hood on top of my tank. It was fine before I drilled all the holes but now I am worried.

Old 09/12/2005, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

If I buy Loc-line do I have to buy the Pliers? I want to but to 1/2" Loc-lines for my return on my mag 9.5 right now theres just a empty hole. Any other suggestions besides Loc-line?

Also are 6" segments enough? I was going to get 2x 6" 1/2" segments?

Well I just ordered the Loc-line. I bought the Y and the went with the 1/2" I really think the flow from my mag 9.5 is to much for my drain, I'm hoping that the 1/2 will add more head to the pump.

I'm still undecided. I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I even placed the order with the 1/2 instead of the 3/4

Last edited by arconom; 09/12/2005 at 08:26 PM.