Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/05/2005, 08:48 PM
Nothing to put here

Im in for 3 portions (thats 6 cups right?).

I just ordered a few of the bigger boxes... do I need to send one of those along with my sand and a check for $7.70?
Old 01/05/2005, 09:13 PM
Monkey

Let's go ahead and limit it to 2 servings. Just to keep the confusion to a minimum. You don't need to send a box - I ordered a whole bunch for the return trip.
Old 01/05/2005, 09:45 PM
Nothing to put here

Well I was thinking 3, one for each of my tanks and one for my girlfriends. Shes setting up a 24g nanocube. We dont live in the same house or anything so it would be just to save on shipping.

Thats fine if two is the limit though. Youre the man for doing this!
Old 01/05/2005, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

With 2 portions you're still getting 4 cups of sand so you should be fine. Jamesurq is the boss though, and yes he is the man for setting this ordeal up!
Old 01/05/2005, 11:25 PM
Reefer

Re: Second Annual Coast to Coast Sand Trade!

Wouldn't that be the First Annual?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
It's fine to send aragonite of any grain size, crushed coral, and I'm not so sure there's a problem with silica sand.
Wouldn't it be better to limit it to a fairly specific grain size? My understanding is that sand critters (infauna) are very particular about grain size. Those that prefer sugar-sized will not thrive at all in CC, and vise versa. If I had a Southdown DSB, I wouldn't want to add sand with larger grains. If I had CC (that may need manual vacuuming), I wouldn't want to add sand with small grains. Diversity in a sand bed is a great goal, but only if you have the right environment for the diverse life you're getting.

I have no tanks right now and therefore can't participate. But I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 based on what I've learned about LS.

James, you have my for leading an effort like this.
Old 01/05/2005, 11:35 PM
Monkey

Re: Re: Second Annual Coast to Coast Sand Trade!

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
Wouldn't that be the First Annual?
Wouldn't it be better to limit it to a fairly specific grain size? My understanding is that sand critters (infauna) are very particular about grain size. Those that prefer sugar-sized will not thrive at all in CC, and vise versa. If I had a Southdown DSB, I wouldn't want to add sand with larger grains. If I had CC (that may need manual vacuuming), I wouldn't want to add sand with small grains. Diversity in a sand bed is a great goal, but only if you have the right environment for the diverse life you're getting.

I have no tanks right now and therefore can't participate. But I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 based on what I've learned about LS.

James, you have my for leading an effort like this.
I did it last March - so it's the second annual.

I think you're right about certain creatures thriving in certain grains - however, I bet there's plenty of creatures that don't really care. Wish I had a way to photograph through my microscope - the amount of life in that sand was unbelievable...
Old 01/06/2005, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I work in a lab with a pathologist...we have some of the best microscope/camera setups money can buy...nothing but the finest for reef central. I'll take in a sample of the sand I get back and share the findings.
Old 01/06/2005, 08:43 AM
Monkey

sweet!

I think that's something people forget about. They see the sand and a couple worms, stars etc and assume that's the only life. When you get it under a scope it's a completely different picture.
Old 01/06/2005, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

James, when I moved my tank in September I saved about 6 cups from my old sandbed and seeded my new bed. Would this be okay to participate? I doubt mine is as diverse as others but there are little stars and stuff like that.

Let me know because I would like to participate this time around.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 01/06/2005, 10:27 AM
Monkey

absolutely! Hell - people with brand new sandbeds should participate too - they could benefit most from what is returned to them.
Old 01/06/2005, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I'm in also.

I have the TBS sand and it is wonderful.

2 cups coming your way when ever you say.

Rockker
Old 01/06/2005, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
absolutely! Hell - people with brand new sandbeds should participate too - they could benefit most from what is returned to them.
Cool, I'm in.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 01/06/2005, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

What a cool idea!! Please count me in on a portion or 2.

Thanks
Matt
Old 01/06/2005, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

James,

Do you feed the sand bed during the month that it is incubating?

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 01/06/2005, 03:09 PM
Ocean Freak

im in! but before i will like some info if you can PM me with it. this is the firt time im doing this
without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny
Old 01/06/2005, 03:37 PM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Dag
James,

Do you feed the sand bed during the month that it is incubating?
yep. I fed a pinch of flake food daily to the old bed. I have 3 sizes of golden pearls that I'll feed this time around.
Old 01/06/2005, 03:57 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

And he'll call it George. Don't forget that, James!

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/06/2005, 05:54 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Cool! If I can find the boxes here you can count me in! Not a whole lot happin' in mine but there is some brittle stars and some featherdusters.

-Dino-

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 01/06/2005, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Is it alright if I participate? I'll be around 90 days by the time February rolls around. I just set up my tank recently so there might not be as much stuff in my sand bed, but I'd love to join in.

Thanks!!
Old 01/06/2005, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Well, I'd love to participate, but I have some small white worms(?) on the glass that I can't ID. They are up to 1.5mm long and have a v-shape tail. It doesn't look like the pics at melev's reef or at http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bu6/flatintr.htm , but I'd rather be safe than contaminate such a cool project.

OK, now for the point of my post...
May I buy some leftovers?
Old 01/06/2005, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

James, I hope you won't exclude me for asking too many questions!

What about the depth? It seems to be the sand on top is premium (that's the stuff I want!) because once you go down more than a certain point (1"?), it's not really "live" sand anymore, or at least not as live.

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 01/06/2005, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

James, count me in.
Old 01/06/2005, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tunguska
Well, I'd love to participate, but I have some small white worms(?) on the glass that I can't ID. They are up to 1.5mm long and have a v-shape tail. It doesn't look like the pics at melev's reef or at http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bu6/flatintr.htm , but I'd rather be safe than contaminate such a cool project.

OK, now for the point of my post...
May I buy some leftovers?

I have the same little bugs, about 1 mm with v shaped tail. I think it`s some kind of flatworm .

Don`t want to send that stuff in, so can I just send money instead?

Paul.
Old 01/06/2005, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

I would love to participate. THanks alot for hosting this James!
Old 01/06/2005, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

I'm so excited!! I was bummed I missed the last one. Please count me in for 2 portions.