Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 05/18/2004, 04:21 PM
ren and stimpy

I never QT either, never have and probably never will, I just inspect the fish carefully before I buy it and I always make sure they are eating first before I buy.
Old 05/19/2004, 09:04 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

yeah..i could see if you had a BIG tank or some SERIOUSLY expensive fish...but for me in an APT there is NO way i can QT...not enough tanks, time, room, etc

ok my coral growth has EXPLODED!! i can seriously watch one of my birdnests (all corals but especially this one) grow DAILY!!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 05/19/2004, 01:01 PM
ren and stimpy

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05/19/2004, 03:35 PM
Proud Father

Lunch, NICE SET-UP. Where did you get your American DJ's from? I am looking at getting 2 for my 90, but of course, looking for the best deal.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Lunch,

How did you mount the pH electrode for your controller in line with your plumbing? Is that a DIY fitting or something?

MacnReef,

Check ebay for american dj pc-100a I just bought 3 used ones for $50 shipped. I've seen them between 15 and 30 there.
Old 05/19/2004, 04:17 PM
Proud Father

Dude, I was going to buy them on ebay for $15 each and $15 for shipping but the guy did not have any more. Who did you buy them from, I will try and contact them. The best I can find now is $29.99 each with free shipping. If I don't find them any better by tomorrow, I will just purchase those.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Damn, I think I bought the exact ones you're talkin about. I found em and emailed the guy on Monday and just paypal'd em this morning.
Old 05/19/2004, 06:34 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

kozmo02 - don't really want to take any pics right now...kind of embarassed. i'm going through the usual diatom/algae cycle. hope this clears up soon

MacnReef - thanks buddy...here is where i got mine

http://www.getyourgearhere.com/Light...ch_Centers.htm

also these are similar
http://www.sixstardj.com/chpc8chpoce.html

john76 - used a fitting from usplastics.com i'll find the thread for it. here you go

HATE diatoms and the algae right now. also hope the skimmer kicks in soon

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/20/2004, 12:08 AM
Premium Member

MacnReef, Just wait a little longer. Some more dj panels will come up on ebay. I was watching them for a while as I was originally planning on getting a bunch for my new setup. The $15 ones seem to pop up every couple days.
Old 05/20/2004, 07:34 AM
Proud Father

Thanx guys!

Lunch, I can't believe you finally did the 58, I remember you have been talking about it for a while. I love your orange cap, I had an orange cap that got about 9" in diameter from the size of a golf ball and now it is almost 25% white. Something happened while I was on vacation and day by day it gets worse. There is only two corals in my tank that are doing bad, a brown/green digit and the orange cap. My acros are fine along with everything else.

Mike
Old 05/20/2004, 08:14 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

MacnReef - yeah it seems weird that i actually did it!!! i'm glad though...the 58 is an AMAZING tank. perfect sized if you ask me. and the set up i have is WAY better than the 20H....way more flow, more room to grow, and the macro algae is gone and the foxface should keep it gone!! hope it settles in nice...w/ the growth of corals in this 1.5wks...>WOW i'm gonna have a crazy tank down the line

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/20/2004, 08:44 AM
Proud Father

Did the "L" brackets come with your DJ control?

Mike
Old 05/20/2004, 08:45 AM
Proud Father

BTW, I am able to get 2 of the same ones you have, brand new for $52 shipped. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Mike
Old 05/20/2004, 08:51 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Macn - ok 1st off YOU SUCK for getting a deal like that. think i paid something like 75 w/ shipping...they are nice and handy though

nope get the "L" brackets at a hardware store. i just unscrewed one of the screws on the panel, put the "L" bracket on there and screwed the screw back in...instant mounting i have mine on the back of the stand facing out...actually works pretty dang well and it keeps the cords facing in

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/20/2004, 08:55 AM
Proud Father

Yeah, I like the way you did it, I will probably do the same.

Mike
Old 05/20/2004, 04:57 PM
lift it up tallways

Macnreef,

I had the exact same thing happen to 2 montipora caps and 2 M.digis. It happened in the matter of a week. I suspected nudis, but I never found any.

All my acros were unaffected. Also, my M.vietnamensis was unaffected. Good thing, 'cause it's my favorite.

But I lost every other monti very quickly...

Sorry to hijack,
E.
Old 05/21/2004, 07:12 AM
Proud Father

Actullay as fast as I said something, it seems to be turning around. Getting better polyp extension and the back that was completely white is now getting color. Hopefully it pulls through.

Sorry about the hijack....Back to lunchs tank.

Lunch, how did you position your halide in the canopy, front to back or side to side.

Mike
Old 05/21/2004, 09:11 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

potitioned it front to back

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/21/2004, 09:15 AM
Proud Father

Very interesting. Mine are side to side, I wonder if I could do mine front to back. Actually no wait, I can't because of my VHOs.

Mike
Old 05/21/2004, 09:42 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

if i had TWO and had VHOS i would do it that way. the way i ahve it one halide actually lights up the tank pretty darn well. i have a clam on the left edge and it seems to me like he gets plenty of light still

i want to add either a 250w 10k or a 400w 10k and do them in a SINGLE reflector so the colors mix well. that is the plan as of now

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/21/2004, 09:48 AM
Proud Father

That would be a sweet light set-up, but I would probably do the 250W 10K.

Mike
Old 05/21/2004, 09:50 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

you ever seen geshields tank??? he had two halides on there...a 10k and a 20K. AND 4 VHO's

yeah i will prolly do a 250w...don't quite think i NEED the extra 400w...but it would be nice you know me and light

actually thinking of getting this
http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=EVCEB

for 168.00 that is CHEAP!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/21/2004, 09:57 AM
Proud Father

Good find...that is pretty cheap. Also check www.carolinacorals.com, he can get just about anything and he is VERY reasonable. I just bought 2-10K XM's 250w on Wednesday and it is going to be delivered on Saturday and it was $119 for both and that included shipping.

Mike

Last edited by MacnReef; 05/21/2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05/21/2004, 10:18 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

hey thanks for that link.

i'm gonna have to wait till later this summer. moving in w/ the fiancee and stuff just killed the pocket book. prolly ration out my money and try to buy one w/ the money i train kids w/....OR use some wedding $$$ or beg for one for my b-day (oct)

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/21/2004, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
hey thanks for that link.

i'm gonna have to wait till later this summer. moving in w/ the fiancee and stuff just killed the pocket book. prolly ration out my money and try to buy one w/ the money i train kids w/....OR use some wedding $$$ or beg for one for my b-day (oct)

Lunchbucket
Lunch, I hear ya about the drained pocket book. Buying a house AND setting up the 280 has done a number on mine too. So far I've already managed to spend over twice as much as my original budget on the tank and equipment. Oops.

When is the wedding day?

Also, what reflector are you using for your mh right now?