Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/15/2004, 09:16 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

yeah i need him to take care of my algae too

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 05/16/2004, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Foxfaces are AWESOME when it comes to taking care of algae. My rock was almost 1/3 covered in bubble algae. I kept pulling out as much as I could every couple weeks but it would come back in full force. Then I added a foxface. It took him a couple months to make a good dent in the bubble algae but my tank is now valonia free. There isn't a single type of nuisance algae in my tank that my Foxface dosn't eat.

Luchbucket, good luck with your new algae eating machine.
Old 05/16/2004, 09:16 AM
lift it up tallways

Lunch, that is one of my favorite fish. Unfortunately, I can't keep one in my very small tank.

I think you've already made the move to a larger tank worthwhile.

E.
Old 05/16/2004, 10:06 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Travis - buddy i OWE you for going to look at that fish so i didn't ahve to drive 60miles (one way) to see it and have it be crap and drive home empty handed!! this way Travis looked at it and said buy it then my fiancee swung by on her way home and brought it back!!! HUGE HUGE favor man!!!! THANKS! i HOPE he eats EVERYTHING. i HATE bubble algae...ok ok my fiancee can't stand it...i hear about it ALL THE TIME!! he better eat up...he needs a little weight gainer in his food BEEFCAKE!!

Ewan - yeah they have been on of my favorite fish too. glad i can keep one in my tank

Quote:
I think you've already made the move to a larger tank worthwhile.
THANK MAN!! HUGE compliment!!! how bad does the wife want to hurt me now

ill get some pics of the beauty today.

Travis and others w/ foxface...how long did it take before they weren't super upset? i mean his colors are good one sec..then then next he must have gotten upset last night....i guess 1st night in a new place he is bound to do that. the AM he looks good and is casually cruising around the tank. hope to see him eat today.

also what you guys feed him? i have heard/assume they eat about ANYTHING. i have DIY food w/ shrimp, clams, krill, and brine in my food. i am also going to buy some nori today and keep it stocked in the tank also

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/16/2004, 11:11 AM
THE NAZGUL

is the fox face the best for algae or would somthing like a kole tang be similar, i have heard that koles will eat algae like crazy.
im either way on the fox face, but my fiancee really doesnt like them and doesnt want one in the tank and since she puts up with me being sick and all my other crap, she gets to pick the fish and corals to some degree.. anyways i like the tangs and would be just as happy with another fish that will graze on my slight hair algae prob.
by the way the tank looks great. im very impresed with your plumbing. thats one of my favorite things about setting up a new tank and or adding new plumbing to my set-up. its like tinker toys for grown ups....only better.
keep those updates and pictures coming....
Old 05/16/2004, 11:47 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

my new guy!!! colors aren't perfect but less than 24hrs in the tank i can't complain. he is nipping at algae and seems to enjoy it!!

he needs to eat up...just a little thin.

staticfishmonger - what size tank? i LOVE the foxface...very very cool looking. can't believe the fiancee doesn't like them

i'll keep the pics coming!! i noticed some dino outbreak new tank i suppose

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/16/2004, 11:56 AM
Moved On

Very sweet bro....what is the smallest tanka foxface can be in?
Old 05/16/2004, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

My foxface took about 2-3 days to get comfortable in the tank. Really went to town on the algae. I put anything green in the tank and its gone quickly depending on the size. He is now a robust 2.5". Still hides after I'm in the tank but foloows me around at feeding time.

Larry
Old 05/16/2004, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Very nice tank man.
Great job

Troy
Old 05/16/2004, 01:33 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

he's eating...just still a little shy i think

it is CRAZY how thier colors can change so fast!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/16/2004, 03:34 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
he's eating...just still a little shy i think

it is CRAZY how thier colors can change so fast!

Lunchbucket
Their colors change?
Old 05/16/2004, 06:45 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

yeah when they get stessed or ****ed they aren't yellow...more mottled brown.

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/16/2004, 06:45 PM
Moved On

Sweet, and how about recommended tank size?
Old 05/16/2004, 06:49 PM
TRC Leader

Everything looks perfect Lunch. Congrats on a job well done. Looking forward to seeing how it grows and matures.

Now make the trip to LV and help me plumb my tricked out nano! I'll even let you cut a hole in my wall.
Old 05/16/2004, 08:41 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

mane3215 - marinedepot says 60gal....a 4 ft tank would prolly be best but from what i have heard/seen they aren't the crazy swimmers like tangs. they just swim stop, swim, stop.

TippyToex - THANKS!! yeah i can't wait till it matures!!!

hey i have a good friend/co worker moving to LV in July. i HOPE to come visit her and her bf sometime in the future...we would meet up!! i want to get a pitbull out there too

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/17/2004, 12:36 AM
TRC Leader

Then you better PM me before you make the trip. I'll toss as many comps I can dig up your way. I'll also be sure to send you home with some frags too, so the pup is not the only cute animal you take home.
Old 05/17/2004, 02:02 AM
ren and stimpy

a pit bull?!?!?!? COME ON MAN!

lol j/k

your tank looks awesome, did you end up getting the phosban reactor after all? i didnt see it in any of the pics.

also, what grade substrate did you go with? i like the size.
Old 05/17/2004, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Travis and others w/ foxface...how long did it take before they weren't super upset? i mean his colors are good one sec..then then next he must have gotten upset last night....i guess 1st night in a new place he is bound to do that. the AM he looks good and is casually cruising around the tank. hope to see him eat today.
Mine changed colors frequently for a couple months before it was completely comfortable in the tank. Now it only changes at night when it goes to sleep.

Quote:
from what i have heard/seen they aren't the crazy swimmers like tangs. they just swim stop, swim, stop.
And poop. They really don't swim around much. Mine is best buds with my CBB. It follows the CBB around the tank. Whenever the CBB nips at a rock, the foxface has to nip at that rock too. Then they swim around and nip at another rock.
Old 05/17/2004, 09:16 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

TippyToex - will do man!!! might be a year or so before i get out there though yeah i figured we could do some frag trading

kozmo02 - pit bull YEAH YEAH!!! we will see. need to find a place that will let me have a dog!! no i didn't get the reactor for MY tank. one is running on my parents tank. after the tissue recession scare from using them i figured i would wait a little while and let the tank get settled in. the sand is Carib Sea Geomarine or whatever that stuff is...special reef grade.

Travis - he looks more comfy day by day.

LOL mine is kind of hanging out w/ my clowns a lot.

so this fish is a pooper??? great i need a fishy pooper scooper

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/18/2004, 11:06 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

added some nori yesterday...and this am is it ALL GONE!! he's got some belly now!! i'm glad!! i will prolly only add 1/3 of a sheet every 2days or so...that way he won't ignore the rock and keep that clean!!

ok Travis...i see what you mean about being a pooper!! man talk about LOTS of poo...eww hope my skimmer kicks in soon

check out what i got at WalMart yesterday!! a suctioned plastic soap dish. the frag plugs i have fit PERFECT into the stock square holes in the bottom i even have some frags in there too

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/18/2004, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Good to hear he liked the nori. When I got mine I let him get comfortable in the tank by feeding him seaweed everyday. Then I slowly weened him off the seewead and let him do his work on the rocks.

Great idea on the frag holder.
Old 05/18/2004, 01:14 PM
ren and stimpy

thats a cool idea for a frag holder!
Old 05/18/2004, 01:25 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Travis - you got me a pooping MACHINE!! man he does go a lot!!

i like the frag holder...best part is it fits the frag plugs perfect, it is SMALL, clear, and can be raised or lowered and moved to get more or less flow and more or less light!!!

i need to move it off my overflow and to the back to get it out of sight more

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/18/2004, 02:43 PM
THE NAZGUL

Scott Michaels book recomends a minimum of 75g, but i agree they are not the crazy swimmers like tangs. so 60 would be fine.

Lunchbucket- yeah i dont know why she doesnt like them she says she doesnt like the look. oh well. my tank is 150g. i was more or les wondering if a kole tang would fill the void. she loves the tangs and so do i. i used to have a big naso and sailfin that i sold before begining the reef (she still hasnt forgiven me for that).
she also really wants another sailfin i think a red sea one this time. nice pics of the foxface very good color for beign so new.
did you quarintine him at all? i ask because im still debating whether to start QT new fish. i never have in the past and never really had a problem.
Old 05/18/2004, 03:49 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i NEVER qt fish...even though i should. the LFS qt's for 2wks before they even got out for sale...so this guy has been in teh store prolly 1-2wks...eating like machine and seems happy

LUnchbucket

- maxxII-