Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 04/23/2004, 07:00 PM
Bored Reefer

Wow. I can't wait to see this full with corals. Its going to look great.
Old 04/23/2004, 07:06 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

beaver - well it ALL depends on what you are going to do. HOT intake, plumbed in tank, you want unions everywhere, what kind of outlets...can't just give you a list and expect you to get the same thing i did...heck you might not want it and you might have different needs. ask more specific ?'s man

static - thanks...guess i didn't even think about black elbows
some of the plumbing is fixed though and need to paint it or color it.

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 04/23/2004, 08:14 PM
Duct Tape for the win!

Ya you could always paint the back of the tank and the PVC the same color. Black PVC would be nice though.
Old 04/23/2004, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

good job...looks like you are more into the plumbing than other stuff...

--- Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.
Old 04/23/2004, 10:06 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

more into plumbing...i'm a novice man

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 04/23/2004, 10:09 PM
troublemaker

I just roughed some up on the outside of part of mine ... but I'm amazed at how much my spray bar has corallined up. Not even so much the areas I roughed up :?:

But given it's near high flow ... tends to grow nice coralline IME
Old 05/08/2004, 01:12 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

ok been moving all last weekend, working 35-39hrs, softball is starting, was SUPPOSED to have SCUBA class friday, sat, sunday but had a flare up of my Crohns disease...tons of other stuff going on...BUT i did manage to

level the tank
fill it w/ tap water for a 2day "dry" run
drained the tank
added the sand (50lbs of Caribsea geo marine)
make 50+ gallons of RO/DI water
got them to 1.027 specific gravity
buy 2 rubbermaid tubs for the move
buy another for the water top off storage
have my fiancee take off work on monday to help move
swing to get the in-laws Explorer to remove the 20H contents

SOOOO. i have the 58 ready and waiting. the water made, tubs bought.

just waiting for monday!!!!!

should be a long and stressful day...but well worth it when my babies get 58gallons as opposed to 20 and LOTS more flow w/ my iwaki 55rlt on a www.oceansmotions.com 4 way heavy duty unit!

needless to say i am excited and NERVOUS...i hate moving the tank and don't like stuff being out of water that much

i plan to use ALL the old water and rock. some new cured rock (kaelini) and remount a LOT of the corals that were too crowded. so i will need a LOT of superglue, a hammer, a screwdriver, some luck, and some prayers

it will turn out ok just take some SERIOUS time

i will post pics ASAP..and i will have her take pics of the whole process.

talk to you all soon
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/08/2004, 03:50 AM
Did I do that?

Looking good Lunchbucket. How does the wave device that you have work? I've been away for awhile and need to do some catching up.

Vince
Old 05/08/2004, 07:53 AM
THE NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
had a flare up of my Crohns disease..
i know how much fun that can be. i have been showing the symptoms of it for 3 years my first round of tests were inconclusive. i just did another round earlier this week, still awaiting the results. i have not really been able to function normally the last few months i had to take off work and drop out of my classes. your workinf full time and building a reef, your my hero, keep up the good work.
Old 05/08/2004, 08:17 AM

Staticfish,

One day the strength of men will fail, but that is not this day - This day we Fight!

Lunch,

Awesome tank, you are one dedicated and determined son of a gun. I give you major props bud.
Old 05/08/2004, 10:35 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

mr9iron - hey buddy haven't heard or seen you in FOREVER...man we go a ways back from NR.com hope all is well w/ you and yours...pm me or email me to catch up!!

staticfishmonger - ok ok i don't have Crohn's diseas...but i DO HAVE ulcerative collitis. almost EXACTLY the same thing but people don't hear as much or know as much about ulcerative collitis....so it is easier to say crohns then if they know that...then tell them it is almost identical.

did that much testing and they can't give you a diagnosis?? did you hemoglobin and hematocrit drop really bad?? bad symptoms?

i lived w/ mine for about 1yr i think...before i even went into the Dr. by then i had almost bled myself to need some blood infused. pretty bad shape. and at that time i was still working about 35hrs, taking full-time grad classes, lifting 4days/wk for about 1.5hrs at a time, taking care of my reef and a ton of other stuff. pretty stressfull semesters. i never missed class or work because of it and i was never hospitalized.

i'm not a hero I AM A MACHINE!!! LOL that is what i tell everyone...because i bounce back from stuff so quickly. my knee surgery...surprised everyone, the ulcerative collitis bounced back faster than my Drs. had ever seen, my tumor our of my back (jan 04) bounced back to full in about 6wks....they were surprised. just stick you mind to it and don't let anyone TELL you that you ahve to be a certain way....MAKE YOURSELF A DIFFERENT WAY!

ok enough motivational speaking.
i'll get some snapshots of the 58 ready to go today and monday i will post the pics of the move
thanks for all the nice comments everyone

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/08/2004, 08:58 PM
THE NAZGUL

i was originally hospitalized for about 2 weeks after losing 20 pounds in a matter of a few weeks and starting to show signs of starvation sickness,(really sucked casue i had to leave the care of my tank with someone else). they did every test imaginable, endoscopy,colonoscopy, upper and lower GI, blood tests galore, the whole works and came up with nothing. they are starting to lean towards severe IBS, but they have not ruled out crohns, or collitis just yet. what really stinks is without a positive diagnosis it is hard to treat anything effectivly.

Project Reef
thanks that is the exact reason that is there, i have not given just yet, and dont plan to.
Old 05/08/2004, 09:59 PM
TRC Leader

Very nice Lunch. I like your closed loop with three intakes. That is a safe way to avoid anything being trapped against the intake.

How many watts will the lights be this time?
Old 05/08/2004, 10:48 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

staticfishmonger - OUCH sorry to hear. i wasn't hospitalize thank God. the Drs. were amazed that i got off the couch w/ as low of blood count as i had...and i did all the stuff mentioned above. i truely HOPE that you get some help. i understand how uncomfortable it is and how much it can mess up your life. i am on Asacol 4800mg (12 pills. 3 doses of 4 pills/day and they put me back on prednizone for the flare up)

melev - THANKS...yeah i figured i don't need something clogging up and i don't need any restrictions! well watts...ONLY 400w 20k XM i have on my 20h is going on there...BUT i am trying to find a cheap buy for another 400w..10k this time so i WILL HAVE (hopfully by the end of summer) 800w of MH one 20k and one 10k

later
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/10/2004, 08:12 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

well, just checking my email and gonna leave in 5min to start on the tank!!!

wish me luck!! i'll be back w/ updates and LOTS of pics!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/10/2004, 10:11 AM
THE NAZGUL

i think i was on predizone for awhile. there have been so many its hard to remember. right now i am on levbid which is basically a antispasmatic type drug for the gut. i have been on anti-depressants and other such meds with little success. i am thinking of giving the antidepressants another try, they do accually help a little but they have nasty side effects. its kinda a toss up.

i cant wait to see the tank updates it looks very good so far.
keep up the good work. good luck and of course happy reefing.
Old 05/10/2004, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

You da' man lunch. Wow, thats going to be a lot of light eventually.....2 400 watters on a 3 foot tank....sweet. I'm looking foward to the pics tonight. The plumbing looks awesome, and I expect every other aspect of the tank to be the same....no pressure though. So what are you live stock plans except for your current in the 20H?

Btw asmujica used a black paint for his pvc rock frame, you might be able to find the same stuff he used with his 50 cube:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=13

Will

Last edited by willra; 05/10/2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05/10/2004, 11:25 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

OMG what a LONG day. started taking everything apart about 9am and finally got to my new apt (only about 5blocks across town). 12:30 or so. ate some lunch and started puting everythign together. the rockwork SUCKED!!! just had some prob. w/ the colonies. frags were much easier!! and i added a LOT of the stuff after the 20H was up. i wanted to bust as LITTLE as possible off and reglue it. had to move a couple that weren't fighting it out very well

got the basics hoooked up and turned on then had to do EVERYTHING else ie: closed loop, lighting, ca reactor, chiller, dual temp controller, etc etc etc. well the mess finally got done about 8pm or so. it was a FUN day. (fiancee is STILL hounding me about being scared it wiill overflow or fall through the floor...guess i did that when i first had my tank too )

i went w/ more of a SMALLER rock structure. placed a few key pieces on the sides (orange cap w/ purple tip LB special on the right, and a green cap w/ a nice pink birdsnest on the right) and stacked up toward the middle. it was a PITA...but i got done and i am sort of pleased w/ the results. just looks SOOOOO bare compared to the 20H (and the 20H tank looks TINY w/ nothing in it) i guess i started the 20H w/ barely anything and it filled up fast. hope the 58 turns out good.

gonna order a foxface to get rid of my macro and they are COOL...and prolly a cleaner shrimp...need to buy some snails and a FEW hermits....no corals except for trades right now...BUT the fiancee said we need MORE clams and she actually suggested that we do the 20H as ALL clams!! man i LOVE her

all the corals are done sliming up and look like they are ALL polyped out. might have a few places that will have some recession but we will see how everything fairs overnight. LOTS of equipment ofr that small tank!

the chiller ran A LOT tonight. i wasn't around the whole time but everytime i was home it was on....not sure why? figured the iwaki would kick off less heat than the mag 700 (closed loop) and EVERYTHING else is the same...and i figured w/ MORE water volume it would be easier to cool since i wouldn't get as hot as a 20H w/ 1x400w....no idea. might just be because i didn't get it up and running (set right) from teh get go and it had to cool more than usual. i will prolly get a couple fans from radioshack and run them w/ the halides!

oh here is the BEST part. i found out that the outlet for my tank is a 20AMP outlet that ONLY has one side of the kitchen on it too...that i ONLY use an electic kettle and my coffee grinder on!! SWEET!!!!

i'll get pics up tomorrow AM hopefully...TOO TIRED as of now sleepy sleepy.

talk to you all soon
and thank you all for teh compliments and suggestions
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/11/2004, 10:45 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

just a FEW teasers!

don't have frontpage to get them all up on my page

20H right before the move

full pic of outside

equipment underneath

right side

left side

looks pretty sterile

got the last thing (top off) hooke up tonight!!

still tweeking. need to check my alk, ca, and mg tomorrow

later
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/12/2004, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

Lunch, everything looks GREAT. Glad to hear the move went well. I bet your chiller seems like it is running more because it now has 3 times as much water to cool.
Old 05/12/2004, 01:23 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Travis - thanks buddy. the corals look ok. tested everything (1am and can't sleep...stupid prednizone ) and ca is 420, mg is 1335, and alk is at 9.5dKH. so i am gonna add 30ml of the alk portion of bionic over the next couple days to bump my alk back to up about 14 where i usually run it.

yeah i am sure it is because i have a TON more water to cool

i added a 4" radioshack fan to the hood today....should help out quite a bit...cheap, quiet, and moves some air. i need to get a plug so i can plug it into the timer w/ the halide so it ONLY runs w/ the halide. found out tonight it gets too cool at night if i run it 24/7

later
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/12/2004, 08:24 AM
Reeftastic

First off, Lunch, its lookin good!
That should fill in nicely over time.

Second, whoever it was that was at my place recently and told me my equipment corner made it look like a mad scientist experiment, I hope your seeing all that gear piled under this stand!!!!!

Lunch, can you snap/cut those shims off?
I think they take away from the beauty just a tad!

Creade
Old 05/12/2004, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Hey the pictures of your new tank look great. Nice equipment shot. I have used my fans to come on with the actinics first to give them a head start on cooling before the main lights come on. If you run in to afternoon temp problems you may want to try the fan times that way

Keep those pictures coming. larry
Old 05/12/2004, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

The new setup looks great. One question though, I might have missed it, but what did you end up using to darken your CL PVC plumbing?
Old 05/12/2004, 01:31 PM
Super Hero

You are a heavy metal superstar!!!

Don't forget your towel!

( \ / )
(O.o)
( >< )
/_|_\
Copy the bunny into your signature to help him achieve world domination.