Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 10/29/2005, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

just been reading this thread sat at home in wales uk.
some awesome work you have done here jeff and you surely have a tank to be proud of.
god willing your power will be restored soon.
wayne

ps. love the care and patiente you took nursing the sick clown back to health.....a real credit to you!

Old 10/29/2005, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Jeff have you ever conisdered a natural gas generator they are as big as a house air conditioning unit. No worries about hauling gas. It would also power your whole house. They range from 2k and up. Maybe this would save you headaches in the future. It is good to keep the gasoline one in severe cases if a gas main is broken. Hope all is well cant wait to see your tank in the up and coming months with the fish. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 10/29/2005, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Jeff good to see you hanging there.
Old 10/29/2005, 01:48 PM
Standpipe Guy

Jeff - how are the corals doing? any signs of bleaching?

Hang in there. Best of luck.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 10/31/2005, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

generac makes the best propane for the house. 7 days here just got back cable no power but jenny still going. 6 people on block running gas parties. everyday one person runs for gas. I went yest. with 110g for the group so we all doing well.
Old 10/31/2005, 12:57 PM
moved here

Hey Jeff your avatar looks awfully familiar. Looks like we swam on the same reef.lol. I took mine @ Malokini.

Nice tank btw. I drooled over that skimmer on the ER site. Will have to look back and see if I can find that part of the thread.
Old 10/31/2005, 04:21 PM
In over my head!

POWER IS BACK!

Just a few hours after I posted on Saturday, our power was finally restored. We were out from 6:30am Monday to ~2pm Saturday.

I am happy to report that everything seems to have survived the storm just fine.

I'm still limited to internet only when I'm at work. We have no idea how long it will be until our cable modem service is restored. Satellite repairs will also take some time (you can't even get an appointment), but I was able to scavenge and set up an old round dish for temporary service. So things are pretty close to nomal at home.....

Rich, I haven't added any coral to the tank, but the few that came on the LR didn't seem to mind a few days of low light. I ended up covering the canopy with a blanket to help hold in heat, and temps never dropped below 75.

Mbunaman, I like the idea of the whole house generator, but I'm not sure if it makes sense for us. In a condo/townhouse, first there's the issue of getting approval. Not just the generator, you'd also need a huge tank to hold more than a week's supply of natural gas (we don't have gas utility service).

Mike, yep, my avatar is a pic I took at Molokini in June.
Old 10/31/2005, 05:07 PM
moved here

Didn't realize you were having a crisis.. sorry about that.

FWIW I recently purchased a Tripplite APS750 Inverter/Charger all-in-one unit w/ a couple deep cycle marine batteries. There's more info here on RC. Hope thats remotely helpful. Either way..good luck.
Old 10/31/2005, 05:18 PM
In over my head!

No problem Mike, glad to have a reminder of the peaceful vacation.

I'm pretty good as far as backup power equipment. 7000w generator, 3 UPS devices, then battery powered air pumps if all that fails.

Fortunately, it seems the crisis stage is finally over.
Old 11/04/2005, 10:08 AM
In over my head!

We finally have working internet at home! I'll try to get some storm pictures uploaded and posted either later today or tomorrow.
Old 11/04/2005, 02:54 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

glad everything is a-ok

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/04/2005, 06:06 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Man, i love California... ill take earthquakes every couple of decades over a huricane every month....

Glad you made it through jeff....

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/04/2005, 06:14 PM
Will work for coral

hmmm.. reading through this as always... split time??
Old 11/05/2005, 12:57 AM
In over my head!

Okay, finally got some pics/video of the storm online.

Here's some video that I shot during the storm. These clips were taken before things turned REALLY ugly. After that I was too scared/busy to worry with capturing anything.

This is when you know you're having a bad day. We were watching the doppler radar and I saw that the eye was coming very close to us. So I ran to the window to take this picture. The light area in the sky is the eye of Hurricane Wilma, just a few miles to the northwest of us. Believe me, it's much better to have the eye go overhead than glance by you. The worst wind is in the eye wall, and we spent considerable time there.

A few shots of the damage:

Here's a link to a page I set up to send to friends/family, it has all of these and a few more:
http://home.comcast.net/~jbrigman/wilma/wilma.html
Old 11/05/2005, 12:58 AM
In over my head!

Oh, and one more:

During the low-flow, reduced lighting days after the hurricane, the mantis shrimp was venturing out into the open. Not a crisp shot by any means, but interesting to see his color. A few months ago, I took pictures showing a blue/green mantis. I presume this is the same one, as it's living in the same hole with the same mannerisms.
Old 11/05/2005, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

Jeff,If I don't get power in a few days you can take all my corals.I think we are at day 12 now without power.Lost a couple of acros...really sucks,as one was about 9" across.Algae is growing everywhere,as I can't run full lights/flow.Have to power both my neighbours houses,so puts a demand on the jenny.So far,knocking wood,it has run non-stop for 12+ days now.It will get one heck of a service /oil change after all this is over.Glad you got juice back Jeff,now might be a good time to pick up any frags you want,as I'm not sure how much longer they'll hang in.My roof is shot & just found out that the house I rent out is trashed also.Glad I went on line.If you want the frags...I'd be glad to off load to put less demand on my system,send a PM & I'll get my ph # to you.Glad you guys pulled through,take care,Darcy.
Old 11/05/2005, 06:16 AM
Fiddles With Reef

I can't that after all these years Florida's grid isn't more robust than it appears to be. We had a cat 4 pass through here a few months back and the lights didn't even flicker.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 11/06/2005, 10:00 AM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by 45commando
Jeff,If I don't get power in a few days you can take all my corals.

...now might be a good time to pick up any frags you want,as I'm not sure how much longer they'll hang in.
Darcy, I sent you a PM with my cell number. I'll take whatever frags you have available, and I can even hold the rest of your corals until you get power restored.

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
I can't that after all these years Florida's grid isn't more robust than it appears to be. We had a cat 4 pass through here a few months back and the lights didn't even flicker.
Tell me about it! I don't know how Japan does it, but all of our transmission lines are above ground, and the substations are outdoors and essentially unprotected. Hopefully the state and local emergency planners will sit down with the power utility and have a long talk about this.
Old 11/07/2005, 05:28 PM
In over my head!

We've declared hyposalinity to be complete, and we're starting to bring sg back to normal in the quarantine tanks. The tang was suffering through some water quality issues this weekend. We did two 50% changes this weekend, which seemed to help. My theory is that the biowheel bacteria populations took a hit when it was off periodically during the storm. We decided it's probably in his best interest to get him back to normal levels and into the stable display tank. Any ich that was present should be taken care of by now.

Total time in hypo : 46 days (since 9/22)

If you recall, the tang showed ich spots for the first several days of hypo, then one or two persistent spots on his fins. I declared him clean visually on 10/3, which was 35 days ago. Based on the life cycle of cryptocarion, he was probably ok a few days before that.

Also, Christy and I have pretty much agreed to name the clowns Fred and Wilma, just as soon as they figure out who is who.
Old 11/07/2005, 05:41 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Well done on the hypo. I wish my current cycle had been as successful but it's all a learning process. That should be it for the hurricanes tghis season though. It was a light season for us. It had all the hallmarks of being a nightmare season with a few in August and September but nothing since.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 11/12/2005, 10:30 PM
In over my head!

Bad news on the QT front.

The achilles tang has had a major setback. Since the hurricane he's had a few issues. We know we had a brief decline in water quality last weekend, indicated by an increased breathing rate and less than perfect coloration. A series of water changes fixed the problem. He was looking better, but still breathing fast/heavy (2x normal). Over the course of a week, we've raised his salinity from 1.009 to ~1.013 (i.e. not very fast at all).

Yesterday we noticed he was listing slightly to the left, but still swimming and eating (albeit a decreased amount). Today he appears to have some swelling in the abdomen, and is listing severely, and breathing very heavily. Not eating well either, he showed no interest in a nori strip that I put in the tank.

The swelling could be a number of things - constipation/intestinal blockage, an infection, organ swelling, who knows. I tend to think the swelling is preventing proper operation of the swim bladder, rather than this being a swim bladder issue.

Since we don't know the true cause, we are trying a few different options. We added epsom salts to the water, which are supposed to help alleviate constipation if that is the cause (we haven't seen him poop much lately). We also started treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic (Maracyn2), in case of infection.

Beyond that, we're open to any and all suggestions. He is in bad shape, so please respond quickly - needless to say, the wife is a bit upset.
Old 11/12/2005, 10:57 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

jeff - sorry to hear about the tang. i noticed that my 6-line got all sorts of messed up in my hypo treatment for ICH. his swim bladder was all messed up and would do a corkscrew throught he water. he lived and ate but couldn't control himself for about 4weeks. the week i was going to put them back in the tank he died. i won't if the hypo treatment was the cause

hope your fish does better

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/13/2005, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Jeff I would try this. Tangs are really nervous fish. Give him minmal lighting and drap the tank with sheets so he does not see anything. Let the fish relax a little try to feed him a day latter. But meen while try to raise the salinity higher everyday. The hypno process is very hard on tangs. I doubt he as a bacterial infection (Bloat). The only way I can think he can get that is by feeding him high animal protein diet. I would stop the medication it will cause more harm in my opinion. Its probally the salinity level. This has a different pressure on the fish. That is why that fish that are collect in the deep should be put in cages and slowly raised the top. This helps the swim bladder get used to the pressures. This infact is done on some butterflies and even for some freshwater fish known as the Frontosa (Zaire Blue). I hope this can help. Keep us all posted.
Old 11/13/2005, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Jeff,got power a few days ago,just now checking the computer.Lost a few more corals & can grow algae "like it's going out of style".Still got a few frags for you,I'll try your number tomorrow(Sunday)& you can pick up anytime.Thanks for the offer & speak to you soon,Darcy.
Old 11/13/2005, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=708066