Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/12/2005, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

www.cuttingboardcompany.com
TOLL FREE 1-866-247-2409
Phone: 908-725-0187

Nick
Old 03/12/2005, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Is this the best place to buy this from?
Old 03/12/2005, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UnderwaterExotic
Is this the best place to buy this from?
The best place is probably a local Marina or Plastics or Boat Repair Shop ... Depending on size, you might be able to pick up a cutting board at Home Depot, Lowes, or even a Wal-Mart or Target.
Old 03/12/2005, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

We put in custom garage doors at my company, with a PVC front on them, would this work or should i figure out what its made out of first? They call it a beadboard door??? HMMMM! And i have an endless suppy of it!!! LOL
Old 03/13/2005, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Bomber,

I thought I recall from an earlier post that you dismissed the idea of a remote tank (attached to the main system) filled with live rock as an additional source of biological filtration. Another place to collect detritus, I believe you said. I'm puzzled, however, when faced with the choice to have live rock in the main display or in a remote tank (e.g. refugium), why you seem to have no problem keeping live rock in the main display, where the chances of detritus collection seems just as likely, if not more so, as opposed to the remote tank, where removal of rock (if necessary) and detritus cleaning would be simpler. If live rock is good in the main tank, it seems it should be equally good in a remote tank, if not better.

Another question regarding cooking rocks: could you cook the rocks in a dark remote tank, attached to the main system. This make the job so much simpler, of course.

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 03/13/2005, 10:20 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

That's because he's got lots of flow in the main tank and uses the sump as a setling area (low flow). So unless you are going to have high flow in the both the main tank and the remote tank, it won't work. you want to keep the stuff in suspension and settle it out where you can easily siphon it off, or the skimmer can get it out.

The chances of detritus accumulating in Bomber's main tank are next to zero. It settles in his sump.

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"
Old 03/14/2005, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

tankslave, don't forget to mention the use of eductors. These things are unreal. I added one 3/4" eductor to my 180 and I noticed my skimmer working twice as hard . I think Bomber has a couple eductors! I couldn't imagine the water movement.
Old 03/14/2005, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Briankook,

How far off the water/bottom do you have the Eductors? I'm trying to figure out placement for mine. I also have (3) Stream 6100's in my setup but I still end up with detrius settling in two sections of the tank. Tangs make much poopies.
Old 03/14/2005, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

jdg, I'have it about 5 inches from the top. The tank is 24" high. I'll post a pic.
Old 03/14/2005, 09:08 PM
28" Rainbow Trout

filter socks : I've been using them for about 6 months with over 1000gph thru my overflows. I don't have phosphate test kit, but nitrate and nitrite has always been below safe levels. I don't keep a notes on test levels. I change them every 2 days or so. After about a year, my rocks are still spitting up crud (didn't cook them). I blow all the rocks every day or two with a power head (no turkey baster for me) and the socks catch what goes into the overflow. I change the bags when they start overflowing. I'll stop using them when the rocks stop puking up crud. That will be a happy day!

eductors I have 4 penductors that really crank my CL powered by Sequence 4300(? gph but close). It's really too powerful of a flow and I have to direct each outlet so it doesn't hit a coral for about 3'! I've had to purposefully leave a dead spot in the front left corner to fluval out what I can-which I do daily.

cleaning sump I don't do this near enough because it's on the floor. I'll have to use the powerhead method on this.

I wouldn't have my 300 any way but BB and I wouldn't do my 55 anyway but DSB/plenium. Although they have both been up for only a year or so, I have to say the BB has required 5xs the time and effort to maintain - it's also over 5xs the size of the 55. I understand the 55 has a trap set to trip some day, but due to it's small size, it would be almost nothing to pull the rock, replace the sand, and go for a couple more years. That's kinda relevant since I have equipment to maintain a 300 and most 55g folks don't.
Old 03/14/2005, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Briankook
jdg, I'have it about 5 inches from the top. The tank is 24" high. I'll post a pic.
That'd be great! Thanks!
Old 03/15/2005, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

hey star board pros, I just bought a complete tank and will be moving it to my house in the next two weeks...it is a 92 corner bow with 2-3" of live sand, I am thinking it would a) make the move much easier and b) be much easier for maintenance if I switched to barebottom....would you all agree?

Also, how would i go about cementing some crushed coral to the starboard safely so I at least get a "look" of sand on the bottom or faux sand at least?

Thanks!
Old 03/15/2005, 04:11 PM
*----Reefer----*

flat out BB looks better (maybe not in pictures) than faux IMO
Old 03/15/2005, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bboersma79
Also, how would i go about cementing some crushed coral to the starboard safely so I at least get a "look" of sand on the bottom or faux sand at least?
I tried glueing crushed coral to a sheet of acrylic. It looked great for a month or two. The CC catches detritus. I pulled it out and replaced it w/starboard. The starboard is much better. I have enough flow that I don't ever need to vacuum the bottom of the tank, just the sump.
Old 03/15/2005, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

okay, no faux....black or white?
Old 03/15/2005, 05:33 PM
*----Reefer----*

personal choice.

I like the brighter bottom (lots o reflected light), but there are some nice pics of black as well.
Old 03/16/2005, 03:21 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

BB=Black Bottom. (Nobody pervert that...)
Just ordered the black cutting board bottom. Had to order cut in 3 to fit through the top (acrylic bracing). I don't think the coraline will be too much of a problem. Besides pink on black looks good too. The coraline seems to grown in the shady parts for some reason.

I figured the hermits are tired of "ice scating" on the acrylic bottom.

Old 03/16/2005, 04:10 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

I've been looking around for some pics of what the black starboard bottom tanks look like. Anyone remember where some nice pics were?/or have any?

Old 03/18/2005, 05:44 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

I just put in two of those penductors, man, they're like jet nozzles! Put two of them on my Iwaki 55RLT, and the fish having a blast! (literally). I put them opposite and cross each other, so there is almost a figure 8 current, which is pretty chaotic where the streams cross (but they don't directly collide).

Old 03/18/2005, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Is it a wide open flow, or is it a jet? ie: Is it like a Tunze Stream or a Powerhead?
Old 03/19/2005, 12:26 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Its kinda a mixture of both. Its like a really turbulent jet. You need a high pressure pump for it to work, as they have a significant pressure loss.

Old 03/19/2005, 12:57 AM
Premium Member

Today at lowes I saw 2'x4' sheets of pvc pegboard...they were about 3/8" thick...anyone think that would make a good starboard? the little holes would give place for bugs and stuff to hide. It was about $11.96 per sheet.
Old 03/19/2005, 05:24 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

...would give detritus a good place to hide too...

Old 03/19/2005, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

This thread was split due to performance issues. You can find the subsequent portion of the thread here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=553566

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.