Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/06/2005, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

that controller is crazy! You should sell them, Id take one...
Old 12/06/2005, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

one thing i learned about the tube corals, those low in the tank with less light do much better than those in bright light.
Old 12/06/2005, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

We have those tube corals in almost every part of our tank. Those at the top are rather washed out but still have long, healthy looking tentacles and are still adding new tubes on periodically. Those in shaded parts of the tank are a deep, rich brown. They are all doing well and multiplying. But, then again, we do not have metal halides and those may be just too much light for them.
Old 12/06/2005, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Bob, give me a call.
Old 12/06/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

pat, i don't have it at work, is tonite ok?
Old 12/06/2005, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Not a problem. I just sent you a PM explaining what I wanted.
Old 12/06/2005, 12:28 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
We have those tube corals in almost every part of our tank. Those at the top are rather washed out but still have long, healthy looking tentacles and are still adding new tubes on periodically. Those in shaded parts of the tank are a deep, rich brown. They are all doing well and multiplying. But, then again, we do not have metal halides and those may be just too much light for them.
I have these tube corals all over my tank and I've noticed that the ones up close to the lights do great, are adding new polyps all the time. They also appear to favor moderate to high flow as the ones in low flow areas and low light areas are dying off slowly. My lights are only 175W MH, so they probably aren't too strong for them, even up close to the top.

B.
Old 12/06/2005, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
I have these tube corals all over my tank and I've noticed that the ones up close to the lights do great, are adding new polyps all the time. They also appear to favor moderate to high flow as the ones in low flow areas and low light areas are dying off slowly. My lights are only 175W MH, so they probably aren't too strong for them, even up close to the top.

B.
Just like everything else in reefing......just when you think you have an answer, someone else comes along to confound it!!! LOL
Old 12/06/2005, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

i'm with lossman, low light seams better with mine
Old 12/06/2005, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Whew......Bob & I did some of the consolidation of the tanks today. Boy what a job!
We're selling about ½ the TBS rock, and a bunch of the other rock.
It got to the point we couldn't see into either tank, so we had to stop.
We both like the look of the tank without as much rock in it. After the dust settles, we'll see if we'll be adding any more. We have until Saturday...that's when the people are coming for the rock and stuff.
Old 12/06/2005, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Whew......Bob & I did some of the consolidation of the tanks today. Boy what a job!
We're selling about ½ the TBS rock, and a bunch of the other rock.
It got to the point we couldn't see into either tank, so we had to stop.
We both like the look of the tank without as much rock in it. After the dust settles, we'll see if we'll be adding any more. We have until Saturday...that's when the people are coming for the rock and stuff.
pics?
Old 12/06/2005, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

It's not done yet. (but for today it is)
We still need to put a little more rock into the tank. I like the open look, so not too much more.

My tank with the pacific and TBS in it:

A brute can with circulation going:
Old 12/06/2005, 04:02 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Nice pics pat, what happened to the huge TBS arch? I don't see it in the tank, that was my favorite rock in your TBS tank.

Speaking of pics, I took a few this morning:

A closeup of my slowly recovering "colt" coral:

My favorite xmas tree worm (and another behind it):

One of my brian corals (Eric Borneman says probably NOT Macinia aerolata, so not a rose coral) and another coral not ID'd.

I also posted a LOT of pictures on my thread with my new aquascaping. Please go look and comments are welcome:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=4

Brian
Old 12/06/2005, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

I wish out Christmas tree worms lived. Neither was a colorful as yours (or others I've seen), but it was still nice.
Your pictures look great!

This rock?

It's in the Brute can. Weighed in at 34.8lbs.
Old 12/06/2005, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

I have one very similar to that one with one exception, the center of the polyps are bright green. Very slow growing but doing extremely well. I asked for an id early but everyone wanted a pic with everything retracted. I haven't done that yet.

Quote:

One of my brian corals (Eric Borneman says probably NOT Macinia aerolata, so not a rose coral) and another coral not ID'd.

Brian [/B]
Old 12/06/2005, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

I know this has been answered but what has anyone done when they had red slime algea? I think I have some on my rock that I only just saw today, at least that is what I think it is.
Old 12/06/2005, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Try increasing the flow to that area Dennis. That should help.
Old 12/06/2005, 06:46 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I know this has been answered but what has anyone done when they had red slime algea? I think I have some on my rock that I only just saw today, at least that is what I think it is.
I've been battling red slime algae for months, it was really starting to annoy me. I tried changing flow, using a turkeybaster to keep the rock clean, etc etc. Everything short of chemical solutions.

I did a few water changes and each time I did that I REALLY stirred up my sump and got most of the detritus in suspension. I then sucked it out with a pump and replaced with fresh SW. I also made sure I cleaned my skimmer every 3 days.

My red slime algae is almost completely gone now. I'm going to continue this treatment in case it was just a coincidence.

B.
Old 12/06/2005, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

We tried everything everyone told us to do to get rid of the red slime. Nothing worked. We finally used Chemi-clean and it got rid of it. We now are working our way through a minor (at the moment) green hair algae outbreak. I think we are just going through all the cycles that everyone else has already gone through. I think it's just with a 150 gal tank our cycles are longer and farther apart than those with smaller tanks. Just a guess.
Old 12/06/2005, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Well here are some pics of it. Maybe that isn't even what it is.

I don't know if upping the flow will matter because it already waves in the current.
Old 12/06/2005, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Wow....Which is it? The red, purple or both? Too bad it wasn't sponge. I like the colors!
Old 12/06/2005, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Wow....Which is it? The red, purple or both? Too bad it wasn't sponge. I like the colors!
What's under it is an orange sponge. The first pic is that stuff on a brain skeleton or what looks like that anyway. What I'm worried about is it killing my only brain I have, which you can see the end of in the first pic.
Old 12/06/2005, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

It's red slime. Suction out as much as you can. High flow does not seem to affect it as it grew extremely well in the refugium and we had a powerhead in there roiling the water. The one thing that I can think that really does affect it's growth is overfeeding. But then again, when we first started battling it we hardly fed at all, just enough for the fish to eat in about a minute once a day. We used the Chemi-clean and it did not hurt anything in the tank, except for the red slime. I hated using it but we had run out of other methods.
Old 12/06/2005, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Do what Sally says...she's the queen of red slime!
(that wasn't meant as bad as it sounds)

Someone will be getting pistol(s) when they get this TBS. I am sitting here listening to clicking....something I have never heard from this tank.
I wonder if it's the babies or the big orange one? I just took a flashlight but don't see any.
OMG...today when we were pulling the rock, there were porcelin crabs EVERYWHERE!! We literally had to chase them on the tarp....they were running around everywhere. Bob had the big orange gloves on and had trouble picking them up. I was afraid to touch them barehanded, but did once. I just saw about 5 in the tank here.

Also, the first rock he pulled out, a serpent star was attached. I picked that up with no gloves on. His condy was on that arch rock, but I couldn't get it off. Bob's sad.
I'd like to remove the flower anemones. What's the best way to do it?
Old 12/06/2005, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

I would get rid of both anemones with the rock if I was you.

Well I sucked off as much red slime as I could and I turned up my Tunze some more. Hopefully it will go away and not come back. Wishful thinking huh!