Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 07/26/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Cyano grows in sheets that lay loosely on the rocks and gravel. It's very easily sucked or blown off with a turkey baster.

I just got rid of it by medicating after 4 weeks of cleaning it out every night, now I'm dealing with the side effects of the medication.

Phil
Old 07/26/2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

looks more like a nice colored sponge to me
Old 11/23/2006, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

I agree with DrChaos619. Coraline is a desirable type, its growth can indicate that your calcium and strontium levels are good. Ive never noticed any other types of algae growing on top of the purple stuff so im guessing that enough of this stuff limits the real estate the hair and bubble algae can grow on. Cyanobacteria can grow on top of this and i have seen patches that were covered too long start to turn white or bleach. In other words i would say this rock is lookin good!
Old 11/23/2006, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

I used Maracyn (freshwater) to get rid of red slime algae in my 220. It cleared it out in about 3 days. Crush them up and add them to the tank. 1 tablet per 10 gallons.
Old 10/21/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maemae
I was told that this was canyo, its a pink slime alge that can not be sucked off
I agree with Fraggin, it looks like sponges, although it might be Coraline algae; so it is good, whichever it might be. Cyano algae (a bacteria) is usually magenta (deep red, almost burgundy in color) and can easily be sucked out. Not to be scrubbed, as earlier noted in this thread, because the more you disturb bacteria, the further they might spread. It won't be nearly as harmful as it looks, but does require sometimes drastic (chemical/medicinal) methods to remove completely.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Cyano grows in sheets that lay loosely on the rocks and gravel. It's very easily sucked or blown off with a turkey baster.

I just got rid of it by medicating after 4 weeks of cleaning it out every night, now I'm dealing with the side effects of the medication.

Phil
Did you use Maracyn? What was the side effect?
The most common side effects of medication is that it also kills off some of your beneficial bacteria which might even make your tank go through a mini cycle. Adding carbon and large water changes would get rid of the medication.
I could see how Maracyn works. Maracyn is an anti-bacterial medicine and Cyano is a bacteria correct?

I just recently removed the cyano buy stirring it up so that my hob filter could get it but now it's all over my sand. I covered my whole tank with a towel today and I'm leaving the lights off for two days then see if that help. I'm also going to the store to get a turkey baster so that I can suck most of it off. Should I still feed my fish or let them starve for two days?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

to get rid of cyano just do this, turn off your light for three days and dont let any sunlight hit your tank, then on the fourth day just turn on the actinics and then of the fifth day regular lighting schedule, good luck

sana
Old 01/02/2008, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sanababit
to get rid of cyano just do this, turn off your light for three days and dont let any sunlight hit your tank, then on the fourth day just turn on the actinics and then of the fifth day regular lighting schedule, good luck

sana
Well I just started today. I cover my tank because it's right next to a window. I don't own an actinic bulb. :| Do I still feed my fish or let them starve?
Old 01/02/2008, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

I continued to feed mine, and my cyanobacteria cleared up from the lack of light. It is surprising how well fish can see in near-darkness.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Im not sure if I have Cyano anymore but I still get this brown dust that covers my sandbed. Please help if you can.

I have a 75 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump/refugium.
S.G. 1.025
pH = 8.0 - 8.1
Temp 79.5
PO4, NH3, NO2 = 0
NO3 = 5ppm
Ca = 410
Alk = 9dKH
Mg = 1400
I have a DSB and 100lbs of live rock.
I run Kalkwasser through a reactor.
Phosban, Carbon and UV filtration.

I had a reddish brown slime on my sandbed 3 weeks ago and used Chemi-clean to remove it. I also prior to using chemi clean syphoned the contaminated sandbed all the way to the bottom. I know this is not a good thing to do but I guess I had to see for myself. Well after running the treatment this brown dust that looks like a diatom is covering my sandbed. I could be wrong but it does not look like the red slime I had before.

I have tried everything to get rid of this brown dust. If I leave the lights off for 3 days its gone but its then back the following day with lights.

Am I still fighting cyano or is this a diatom issue? If it is diatom will it go away or is there something I need to do?
Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0