Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Dosing pump

I need to know if someone that has a peristaltic dosing pump ever got just tubing from a tubing company?
I know I can get replacement tube for $20.
Like to save in the long run say 50 feet for $100 would save a lot then 6 inches at $20.I saw some companies but need to ask here if anyone found a place that work for them.
Any help would do.
Old 10/21/2007, 05:46 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone have a dosing pump?
Old 10/21/2007, 06:29 AM
SPS Captial of PA

Yea, I do, I just got polypropelyne tubing like they sell at HD or Lowes and used that. Works great. I think I used somewhere around 50ft without a problem.

I also think it depends on which pump you are using.

Pictures and models help.

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 10/22/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickyfins
Yea, I do, I just got polypropelyne tubing like they sell at HD or Lowes and used that. Works great. I think I used somewhere around 50ft without a problem.

I also think it depends on which pump you are using.

Pictures and models help.
What size are we looking for that you are using?

For SP-3000 doser
Old 10/25/2007, 02:18 AM
SPS Captial of PA

I don't even know what dosing pump I am using. It was a chlorine doser for my brothers well. He upgraded his system to an automatic pellet doser that doses the well instead of the water. The plumber wanted to take the tank and the dosing pump with him but my brother knew I would be interested in the equipment.

I just adjusted the flow and put it on a timer. I adjust it weekly depending on humidity and temperature outside.

Do you have a link for the SP-3000 doser so I could look at it?

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 10/25/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't even know what dosing pump I am using. It was a chlorine doser for my brothers well. He upgraded his system to an automatic pellet doser that doses the well instead of the water. The plumber wanted to take the tank and the dosing pump with him but my brother knew I would be interested in the equipment.

I just adjusted the flow and put it on a timer. I adjust it weekly depending on humidity and temperature outside.

Do you have a link for the SP-3000 doser so I could look at it?
Here it is

http://www.aqua-medic.com/reef_doser.shtml

They must have special type tubing I got the same size and type but looks harder then the OEM.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:52 AM
SPS Captial of PA

Any regular tubing that fits the nipples should do it. I try to get something that is a little tight and heat the end a bit when attaching it to the pump. This way when the tubing cools it has a greater seal. My pump is not like those, mine pumps and will build pressure in the tubing and if there is a kink it will either pop the tubing off the nipple or the tubing will burst. The type of pump I am using is more for long distances like in my application. I could literally pump top off water up three stories no problem but with the ones you are using it is for short distances without back pressure.

The tubing you need should be at HD or Lowes for between $0.15 and $0.50 per foot

You could use the clear (like airline) tubing or get PEX which is thicker polymer tubing that can handle higher pressures but cost much more. I prefer the clear tubing as it is easier to work with and is easy to replace.

How stiff or hard the tubing is shouldn't matter as long as the tubing will fit over the nipple. Try heating the tubing on the end when attaching it and see if that helps. If it is harder tubing it is probably a better quality tubing than the manufacturer provides or sells.

I hope this helps.

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 10/27/2007, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Any regular tubing that fits the nipples should do it. I try to get something that is a little tight and heat the end a bit when attaching it to the pump. This way when the tubing cools it has a greater seal. My pump is not like those, mine pumps and will build pressure in the tubing and if there is a kink it will either pop the tubing off the nipple or the tubing will burst. The type of pump I am using is more for long distances like in my application. I could literally pump top off water up three stories no problem but with the ones you are using it is for short distances without back pressure.

The tubing you need should be at HD or Lowes for between $0.15 and $0.50 per foot

You could use the clear (like airline) tubing or get PEX which is thicker polymer tubing that can handle higher pressures but cost much more. I prefer the clear tubing as it is easier to work with and is easy to replace.

How stiff or hard the tubing is shouldn't matter as long as the tubing will fit over the nipple. Try heating the tubing on the end when attaching it and see if that helps. If it is harder tubing it is probably a better quality tubing than the manufacturer provides or sells.

I hope this helps.
I should have paid more for better one this has cheap small motor in it that if not perfect tubing sits there and goes nuts.
If the motor was bigger I would not have this and the tubing I have as you said would work of any type.That is were they get you to buy there parts that for $20 that cost $1 to make.

Thanks for your help.
I am saving up to get a commercial one not cheap plastic one.