Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 12/02/2006, 10:17 PM
Gold Star Recipient

That's ah...kinda sad that someone would feel so good about doing something...or not doing something....like that.

Then again...it's even more sad that people like this make it harder for the rest of us who go out of our way to make sure something like that never happens in the first place.
Old 12/15/2006, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Angry fish in ocean

give me a break--the red sea bannerfish gets no more than 7 inches in captivity, tell me how a fish that small in the ocean(i dont care if it has 1000 babies every two weeks)can have such an adverse effect on the ecological system, when 9 out 10 it will get eaten byb other large predatory animals--the people who wrote this are p[robably the ones collecting the fish for us at the fish stores
Old 12/15/2006, 01:42 AM
Seamonkey on my back

so if they have 1000 babies and 9 out of 10 get eaten, that still leaves 100 surviving, then they breed, then the number is 1000 surviving, then 10,000, etc..

then say they like the taste of elkhorn coral..

buh bye coral...

everything impacts everything else, it's the way the world is set up.

an exotic crab is caving in the thames river

plecos are caving in florida canals. oscars, dempseys, green terrors, etc. are eating up all the native fry (and adults of some species) in florida

zebra mussels in the great lakes

the list unfortunately goes on.

Rick
Old 12/20/2006, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

I have a feeling alot of the shipments get dumped near the airport. An airport worker may be given the task of destroying a skid of fish, and instead of destroying/killing the fish, they decide to dump them in the ocean.
Old 12/21/2006, 02:38 AM
Gold Star Recipient

Re: fish in ocean

Quote:
Originally posted by kroger451
give me a break--the red sea bannerfish gets no more than 7 inches in captivity, tell me how a fish that small in the ocean(i dont care if it has 1000 babies every two weeks)can have such an adverse effect on the ecological system, when 9 out 10 it will get eaten byb other large predatory animals...

I believe that is an invalid argument.
I'm sure there is more than one case out there where introduced animals/organisms reached plague proportions and caused devastation to the native ecology (such as the bunny in Australia for example) despite their size and the presence of larger, potentially "predatory animals."

Last edited by SuperNerd; 12/21/2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12/21/2006, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I've seen goldfish and koi in the creeks and rivers around here... Some of them are HUGE too.
Old 12/26/2006, 02:37 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by nick18tjetta
I have a feeling alot of the shipments get dumped near the airport. An airport worker may be given the task of destroying a skid of fish, and instead of destroying/killing the fish, they decide to dump them in the ocean.
This is a possibility given all of the other exotic animals that are running around loose in the everglades that were released from shipments coming into the Miami Airport. There are wild Parrots and Monkeys that can be seen on short walks from the airport terminal and periodic stories on the news of large constricting snakes like Boa's trying to eat alligators.
Old 12/26/2006, 09:20 PM
Seamonkey on my back

all animals on flights fall under the jurisdiction of customs if international, or US/state fish and wildlife. they're not going to release exotics into the environment. they'll kill it if they need to. a baggage handler doesn't have the authority or know how to dispose of an exotic animal.
the boas are from petkeepers that weren't prepared to keep a giant snake and possibly from any one of the reptile breeders that abound down here.

Rick
Old 12/26/2006, 11:27 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Then how do explain the monkeys and extoic birds that have taken up haven in the woods surrounding the airport?
It is well know that exotic animals have "escaped" from customs at the Miami Airport. There have been many documentaries that have shown these animals including interviews with airport personel that admit that the animals do sometimes get out of their shipping containers.
Old 12/27/2006, 08:32 AM
Seamonkey on my back

got any links? i've never heard of any monkeys running loose anywhere florida. birds? same as reptiles. escapees/releases from an aviary or petkeepers or even illegal immigrants that flew/got blown here. I don't doubt that baggage handlers have dropped holding containers, releasing a few critters. hell, I think it's mandatory for them to slam as many packages to the ground as they can, but F&G and LE are pretty trigger happy, willing to shoot any exotic they don't understand.
anyone remember 'Bobo' the tiger?

Rick
Old 12/27/2006, 12:56 PM
Gold Star Recipient

What happened to Bobo?
Old 12/27/2006, 08:28 PM
Seamonkey on my back

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/...bobo_0713.html

Rick
Old 12/27/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

ive been to steves compound..he goes into the cage and plays with his tigers like they are kittens..its something to see.they are very tame..one came up to the bars where i was standing and put his head right there for me to pet..as i went to pet him steve yelled out to not put my hand near the bars as the tiger would probaly have bitten my hand off as he does not know me and would consider me food... as i walked from cage to cage so i could get to his a/c unit and fix it, the tiger followed me from cage to cage trying to get to me the whole time....if i saw one inthe woods and it was coming for me id blast it also..just because its tame to him doesnt mean it is safe to have around.....just a little bobo insight...