Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 04/25/2006, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

What to do with Display Rock

After having my tanks in storage for a loooong time, I finally got a chance to gear them up a couple of months back, (1 30 and 55). My goal is to have the tanks mature as a decent source and starting point for a large tank and probably convert these two for refugium and sump duty. I am probably 1 1/2 years away from that goal.

In the interium, I have been purchasing new rock to help in accelerating growth on the old bleached rock. So far, the tanks are coming along nicely. I mail ordered some Lalo rock from Foster-Smith, and they shipped some fine pieces. However, one of them is display quality in size and shape. It is truly too large for the 55.

My questions.

I don't carefor the idea, but would anyone recommending busting this large piece up for 3 or more manageable pieces?

or

Would it be better to trade the rock?

pb641
Old 04/27/2006, 06:49 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Send it here

Maybe of value to someone with a big tank
Try a local reef club?
Old 04/27/2006, 07:00 PM
RainbowAcro

Yah, hook me up. I'll trade you for some nice small ones.
Old 04/30/2006, 04:40 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

ive broken LR with a chizle and hammer. if you have a flathead screwdriver you dont like, use it. find a crevice, hold the rock in your (gloved) hand and hit it lightly, most of the time it will break fairly easy with just the hammer.
Old 05/01/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

I've had the same experience with Fosters-Smith sending me a rather large piece of Caribbean rock that was too big for my 55 gal tank. I as well used a screwdriver and hammer to break it up into two smaller rocks...be careful you don't hit it too hard though...it may crumble into many smaller pieces.
Old 05/17/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

I would trade it for smaller rock. It would be cool to help a fellow reefer out who wants the larger rock + you will add diversity to your bio-system.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 06/07/2006, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

it's really hard to find larger pieces like that considering the cost of shipping them. I would trade it or sell it. People with larger tanks would love to get their hands on such a piece.