Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 01/10/2006, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

IF there is anyone to blame. .. blame the creators of the movie "Nemo" for causing everyone to want a clownfish (even though the point of the movie was to free nemo rather than collect them for our own collection). I find that raising the prices of the fish would just make reefing more for those who are in the class that can afford it, rather than keeping it out of irresponsible hands. truthfully, after the movie, clownfish in general seemed to raise in price. Before, I saw tomato clowns for around10 bucks, but after the movie, they were going for 19.99-29.99 each. Price cant be used as a factor for irrespoinsiblity. if anything, the fish store should be the one educating the customers, tellling them the difficulty level and care for saltwater, rather than just sellling anyone a clownfish, that would end up living in a goldfish bowl.
Old 01/11/2006, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

i think the sad thing is the price went up cause people thought there might be more of a demand for marine fish. its all about greed. for instance during the holidays what do merchants do they raise the price on things sorta like july 4th and gas prices.

Ashley
Old 01/12/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

As a Pet store owner for three years I can tell you high prices on fish are often indicative of high mortality rates in the countries from which they come. Often the species is dificult to catch because of depth of water or habitat it lives in as a result many are injured and die during capture these are often beautiful species where the demand is high so price goes up. Any fish store owner can tell you one of the greatest stresses in keeping a fish store is the mortality rate in shipping. I am more in favor of captive bred fish species despite the higher price because mortality is greatly reduced and yes profits are better because fewer fish die. As far as education. I have refused customers that want to place livestock in adverse conditions and truth is most of the fish stores that survive do advse their customers well. the reality is there are schmucks who just don't get that they can't always do what they want to do they lie to the LFS and liestck dies. Ask any store owner when they began their maintenance business as an offshoot to the retail ow many customers they found "lying" about what they do with their tanks and stock. It will amaze you. As global warming continues and the reefs die we have a resonsibility to perserve species and become the "zoo's" of the oceans. Just as all fisheries are threatened with extinction soon the trade in Hawaii Fiji and other third world cotres will become extinct. It is a sad law of economics
Old 02/09/2006, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

[QUOTE

someday i think all fish will be captive bred. price will probly remain super high as compared to freshwater fish. which will also keep the amatures out of the salt.

btw, i love freshwater fish as well. i have a 14 inch clown knife fish [/B][/QUOTE]

how do you equate lack of funds to being an amateur? I have seen plenty of people with money to burn getting into this hobby without any knowledge of what they are doing. I bet that there are more fish/coral killed by rich"amateurs" than poor ones if only because they can afford more to kill. I have also seen less privileged people who spend a lot less who care much more for the animals they have because they can't afford to replace them and take good care of what they have.