Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2004, 12:01 AM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Negative Feedback - mummra100769

I Sent PayPay payment of $180.00 on 5-21-04 at 7:00PM EST for two 175w MH light assemblies. Seller accepted Payment at 7:15PM EST and later stated that they would ship on 5-26-04.

Last communication from seller was:

"Re: 175 MH Setups - Will take them both!!"

"i recieved the paypal i will ship them out on wed. or thur. of this week (wish it could be sooner but my work shcedule will not allow it)please pm me when you recieve them and let me know how they look.
thanx"

As of today 6-11-04 No Lights!

I've sent Numerous pm's and emails - No Response from mummra100769

I have offered to provide my Fedx account number for shippment - Still No Response!

I have now filed a complaint with PayPal.

Tomorrow I will file a dispute with my Credit Card Company.

This is the First time I have had a problem with a purchase from a RC Member. So Sad!

Problems happen, and people find themselves in difficult situations, but there is always a solution. But to ignore it and stop communicating is no way to handle the situation. I just want to recieve what I purchased nothing more, or a refund of my money.

Other RC Memmbers - Be Careful!!
Old 06/12/2004, 10:15 AM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Update:

I recieved a pm from mummra this morning stating that he had been out of town, and returned to find a notice that the package had been returned to him via USPS.

States that he will pickup the package on Monday 6-14-04 and prepare it for shipping via FedX.

No Lights yet, but we at least have an open channel of communications. This is progress!!!!

I will update here as necessary. Hopefully it is nothing more than a speedbump.

With any luck, the fish and corals will be seeing daylight by next weekend!!!!!
Old 06/18/2004, 09:02 PM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Got a pm from mummra on the 16th, stating the box had the wrong zip code, and was badly damaged. He stated that a mogal was cracked, and the reflectors were bent, and he was unable to reship them.

Says he mailed me a refund check for the full purchase price. He is in California, and I am in Florida, I await the refund check. So far 28 days since I sent payment via PayPal, hopefully a semi positive outcome will be obtained by sometime next week.

Then I can begin the search to locate another lighting system.
Old 06/24/2004, 07:58 PM
Wilafur Wilafur is offline
Loan Shark Willy

Location: Ghetto Wood
if you paypal'd him the money, why doesn't he paypal the refund?
__________________
Failure is an option..............for losers. Don't be a loser.
Old 07/01/2004, 07:40 PM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Results of PayPal Claim with mummra100769

I Recieved the following email from mummra on the 24th of June:

From: ...mummra@...
To: jw...piii@...
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

i dont have your correct address.i tried sending you your payment and a couple of slightly used m/h bulbs and it came back.please resend your mailing address.
thanx

I Responded with:

The address that was provided with the PayPal payment on May 21, 2004 of ... is the correct address for my office.

In addition, each of the numerous emails and private messages that I have sent had contact information for me. I also previously offered you my FedX account number to ship the items to me.

It has now been 35 Days since you received payment from me. I do not understand why it would be so difficult to return my payment via PayPal, the same method in which you accepted it. It took less than 20 minutes for you to accept the payment that I sent to you. It should not take forever and a day to return to me what is mine.

I would ask that the funds be returned to me via PayPal. It is quick and efficient, while providing both parties involved proof and confirmation that the matter has been resolved.

If you would, please contact me via phone at ... which is my office or my cell at ... so that this matter can be resolved.

Once again, all I ask is that this matter be resolved. I did my part, and lived up to my end of the agreement within three hours of first contacting you. Please Please Please live up to your commitment and return my money to me..........

John...

I recieved the following from PayPal this morning:

Transaction ID: #11E99437VJ...........
Seller Name: ....... mumm
Seller Email: mummra@.........
Transaction Amount: -$180.00 USD
Transaction Date: May 21, 2004

PayPal Case ID: PP-041-423.....
Reason for Dispute: Non-Receipt
Date of Complaint: Jun. 21, 2004
Status Details:
Our investigation of this complaint is now complete.

The seller did not respond to our requests for confirmation that the package was shipped to your address. Therefore, we attempted to award you a full refund. Unfortunately, there were insufficient funds available in the seller's PayPal account to complete the refund.

PayPal does not consider this a satisfactory resolution of this complaint. We have taken action against this seller's account until the complaint has been resolved........

No further action is required of you at this time.

We value your business and regret this experience.

Looks like I have reached what appears to be an unhappy ending with this one. Forty-One Days (41) No product, no Refund, and No Response!!! First Online Transaction in 4 1/2 years that I have been taken on.

If by some miracle of the fish gods, a refund check arrives, I will be the first to post an update to the situation.

John
Old 07/08/2004, 06:43 PM
Maury Maury is offline
Premium Member

Location: Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Well, I see that mummra is still active here and posting. Any follow up yet? Have you contacted him here? Brought his attention to your posting in here?
__________________
And when that ship had passed an end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring.
Old 07/24/2004, 08:19 AM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Update:

30 day's have past since Mummra asked for my address again on June 24th to resend the refund. Some 63 days since he got the $180.00.

As of today 24 July 2004, no refund and no additional communication from him. He has managed to post on RC some 30 plus times since then, but for some mysterious reason, communication with me is absent.

Why would that be?

I am not a bad person, I just want him to step up to the plate and make this right! Maybe I will have to go to California and purchase something for my tank from a guy named mummra that works in the fish department of a local pet store. At least that way I could see what the person that runs away from his committments looks like!

Ahhh! The feeling of being screwed!!!!!!
Old 07/29/2004, 07:50 PM
Guy Guy is offline
Registered Member

Location: Warsaw, New York
Do you qualify for buyer's protection? Perhaps PayPal can help.
__________________
Buy Aquacultured - The reef you save may be your own!
Old 07/29/2004, 08:10 PM
downset downset is offline
Got that Anger!

Location: Charleston SC
the mods should ban him its obvious hes a scammer two thumbs down
Old 07/30/2004, 03:21 AM
jeffreylam1132 jeffreylam1132 is offline
SPG Reefer

Location: Rosemead, CA
Man, I feel for you. Similar situation happen to me too. I'm still waiting for my refund from this guy i bought on ebay. His ebay id is usaquaticsupply. It's been about 40 days now. I notice that paypal is not too serious about this kind of situation. I too pay this thru paypal and has reported, but it seems like they don't really do anything about it. Maybe we should consider using some other kind of payment method instead of paypal. Again, it's only my opinion.
__________________
Jeffrey Lam
Old 08/11/2004, 04:16 PM
ricky1414 ricky1414 is offline
Registered Member

Location: Northridge CA
If it were me, and I don't know if it would be correct to do so, I would follow his posts and in each thread ask him when is he gonna repay you. I personally carry grudges.
Old 08/11/2004, 07:22 PM
sherm71tank sherm71tank is offline
Premium Member

I have filed complaints with paypal before and I know it doesnt seem like they take any action they do. However they are limited as to what action they can take. If the seller has no funds available all they can do is suspend his account until it is resolved. I got a refund on an item I paid for some 3 months later so dont give up yet!
Old 08/11/2004, 08:55 PM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Sherm,
Thanks for the info.... I have filed a complaint with the credit card compnay also. The folks at PayPal told me that when a transaction that was funded with a credit card is disputed, they take a more aggressive stance on recovering the money. It is a fluke that I funded it thru Paypal against a credit card. I have had some 300 plus Paypal transactios since April of 2000, and this is the first time that I got burned. I am lucky in that sense, but it still doesn't change how I feel about this particular transaction.

PayPal will turn it over to thier collections department. Mr. Mummra will soon find this transaction listed on his credit report as a collection. I take a little solice in the fact that for a measly $180.00 his credit score will drop now. That is provided he has any credit to begin with. Maybe he will try to purchase a car or a home sometime soon, and this will be a hinderance to that.

I also have the name and phone number of where he works. I think the time has come to have a conversation with his employer. As an employer myself, I would want to know if one of my employees was stealing from someone. Makes you wonder what his ethics and morals with respect to his job are like also.

Thanks everybody for your support. I firmly believe what goes around comes around. It will come full circle at some point in time. It always catches up to. I can only hope that I am around to see it first hand when it happens.

John
Old 08/12/2004, 06:09 AM
koj11 koj11 is offline
Jimmy Buffet Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by jwpiii

I also have the name and phone number of where he works. I think the time has come to have a conversation with his employer. As an employer myself, I would want to know if one of my employees was stealing from someone. Makes you wonder what his ethics and morals with respect to his job are like also.

I would be very cautious about doing this. Your dispute with this person has nothing to do with his boss. It's possible you might end up on the receiving end of a lawsuit by proceeding with that sort of action.
__________________
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
Old 08/12/2004, 09:48 AM
ricky1414 ricky1414 is offline
Registered Member

Location: Northridge CA
The fair credit act, I believe, prohibits one from contacting a debtors employer. I believe only federal lending institutions have the right to do so.
Old 08/12/2004, 09:21 PM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Mr. Mummra sent both an email and a pm regarding this transaction last night.

In the email, he was apologetic and stated that he had forgotten all about it, and had been busy with other things. He stated that he had sent a refund and a gift to try and make up for it.

In the pm, timed two minutes after the date stamp on the email, he stated " you know what hey go ahead and call my employer.i love to discuss with my boss about your petty $180.00.btw i sent you the payment along with a gift.you can keep it or not i don't care.if you want you can call me in person.***-***-****.i really just forgot sorry.if you want go ahead and come on out here to California,if you come bring some of those Caribbean blue zoos with you."

Once again, I will wait and see. He told me once before he had done the same thing, and nothing showed up. But, I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and it should arrive no later than next Thursday the 19th, allowing a week to travel from California to Florida. If it does arrive on or before the 21st of August, it will have taken 3 months to come to a resolution.

If it doesn't arrive, at least he has given me permission to call him at work or in person with the phone number he provided.

I don't wish him any illwill, I would just like to have back what is rightfully mine. Nothing more. It's more about a commitment to do something than the money, but I for one don't consider $180.00 to be petty. Do you know how many frags a $180.00 could add to my tank!

Time will tell.

Thanks,

John
Old 08/13/2004, 01:19 AM
sherm71tank sherm71tank is offline
Premium Member

You are much nicer than I would be about such encounter. Thats the reason the West was won with a handgun.
Old 08/14/2004, 11:44 PM
jwpiii jwpiii is offline
Premium Member

Location: Tampa, FL
Update: It seems that Mr. Mummra decided to send me some emails, this is the first one dated Thursday, August 12, 2004 1:14 AM:
"To : John Parker III
Subject : RE: Refund of my Money!!!!!

hey maybe you would also like to speak to my mom and my priest,oh man i hope i dont get grounded for this.how long do you think i will have to pray to repent for this.go ahead and call my boss,he is not going to care what i do on my own time,and it is just a mistake anyways.its not like i am really ripping you off.you know i was thinking maybe you could get the fbi involed,it did deal with a transaction over state lines,maybe they have some law on the books that i have broken and can be prosecuted for.sent your payment sorry i forgot. "

That was followed by this one dated Friday, August 13, 2004 12:20 AM which read as follows:

"To : John Parker III

ya i sure do want you to call my employer,not for the reasons you might think.shame that someone warned you about what you were going to do,so go ahead and then i can file a small claims lawsuit against you in california (maybe you could take a vacation out here)that you could just ignore and let me get a judgement against you.if i do owe you money you need to be very carefull about how you try to collect it.if you defame me in any way (past reefcentral)be prepared to defend your actions in court."

I believe that Mr. Mummra should do a little research prior to deciding to engage in legal actions against me.
1. Let us not forget that he accepted payment for items that he listed as being for sale on RC.
2. When contacted about the where abouts of the items he stated that they were returned to him damaged and he sent a refund of the monies.
3. He failed to respond to PayPal when a dispute was filed regarding the transaction.
4. He states in in both a pm and an email on the 11th that he had sent the payment along with a gift.

Now he says that he is going to sue me in small claims court. I believe that he has it backwards, if anyone has grounds for legal action, it would be me. I should file a claim against him in small claims court.

Now he questions whether or not he owes me any money "if i do owe you money you need to be very carefull about how you try to collect it" He has openly admitted on more than one occassion that I am owed the money. Now I have to be careful how I try and collect it. I have tried sending emails and pm's without success. Then I filed a complaint with PayPal.

Now I am being accused of defaming him through RC. The definition of defame is as follows:

de·fame tr.v. de·famed, de·fam·ing, de·fames
To damage the reputation, character, or good name of by slander or libel.

While the definition of slander is
slan·der
Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

What I have stated publicly about my experiences with him through this forum are facts, pure and simple. If one can be accountable in a court of law for stating the truth, then it is a sad state that we have come to as a society as a whole.

This forum within RC is entitled Buyer/Seller Feedback and the description line states "A forum to post your experiences with with each other." This is exactly what I am doing.

Had the seller completed the transaction in a timely manner, this would have never happened. I waited three weeks before posting my experiences with the seller. The transaction should have been completed within seven to ten days from it's inception date.

Should the refund of monies arrive this week as they should based on his statement that it had been sent, then I can post that I recieved a refund, and the matter is closed. At that point he and I can forget that we ever came into contact with one another and get on with our lives.

Should the refund of monies not arrive as stated, well then I guess I can begin to pursue all remedies that are afforded me through our wonderful legal system.

Will this door ever be closed?

John
Old 08/15/2004, 06:09 PM
peacetypes6 peacetypes6 is offline
Registered Member

Location: Timonium, MD
give it a break
__________________
Robert Burgee
Old 08/17/2004, 10:52 AM
Oyster Oyster is offline
Premium Member

Location: Colorado springs
Peacetypes6 i bet you wont be thinking Hmm perhaps ill just give it a break....if it was youre.... one 80 and if you do Than youre just gonna be ripped off by his brother and best friend....Dont you know the Dogs pray on the mild and meek.....Less gamey i hear.
__________________
"And if i go insane Please dont put youre wires in my brain."
Old 08/17/2004, 11:12 AM
alex9421 alex9421 is offline
Registered Member

Location: London, ON, Canada
You should take a trip down to cali and pay him a visit, glock in hand!
Old 08/17/2004, 03:41 PM
Green Mariner Green Mariner is offline
que sais-je

Location: Brookhaven, Pa.
jwpiii, register your complaint here, the Internet Fraud Complaint Center
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
his local police dept will contact you, and then you can file a report with them. Something will be done, believe it or not this type of thing is taken very seriously.

HTH
__________________
Shop Smart
Shop S-Mart
Old 08/17/2004, 05:26 PM
peacetypes6 peacetypes6 is offline
Registered Member

Location: Timonium, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Oyster
Peacetypes6 i bet you wont be thinking Hmm perhaps ill just give it a break....if it was youre.... one 80 and if you do Than youre just gonna be ripped off by his brother and best friend....Dont you know the Dogs pray on the mild and meek.....Less gamey i hear.
Your picking a fight with a 15 year old, and your grammer is terrible to begin with. Please explain what you stated in English.

Thanks

Robert
Old 08/17/2004, 07:27 PM
Anemone Anemone is offline
Moderator Clone

Location: Valencia, California
Peacetypes6,

Your original comment "give it a break" was unnecessary and brought about the response by oyster. Your comment about oyster's grammar was unnecessary as well. If you wish to continue this type of commentary, please do it elsewhere.

Kevin
RC Staff
__________________
NCAA Division 1 Championship Leaders: