Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/03/2008, 11:07 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverfin
Wow.....very sharp pictures! Love the extreme close-ups....makes you feel like you have a hidden camera inside the coral.
Thank you! I have a lot of fun taking pics. Now I need to get more stuff to take pics of

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
Looking good.

I bet the fear of bleaching had you chewing your nails Good to see excellent growth.
I definately had a few moments of terror... But a few days later it was followed by some pretty good growth... Thank goodness!

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
Very cool Hop!
Thanks Micki!
Old 01/03/2008, 11:11 AM
Carpe Noctem

Needed to blow off some steam last night and decided to to it by setting up the camera. 260 shots later I still didn't have anything spectacular. But I spent some time this morning cleaning the pics up and a few are OK... Decided to post a couple...

Old 01/03/2008, 11:13 AM
Carpe Noctem

Continued

Old 01/03/2008, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Ok...just ok? Man...if you think these are just "Ok" I'd hate to see what a really good (or really bad) shot would be!!

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 01/03/2008, 01:04 PM
Carpe Noctem

Thanks Jason... But I guess I drool over the photography section too often. Some of the pics in there are just incredible... Guess it's good to always have a goal
Old 01/03/2008, 09:11 PM
R I P we miss you...

WOW Those clown shots are incredible!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 01/03/2008, 09:52 PM
TRC Leader

And the coral shots are very impressive as well.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:57 AM
R I P we miss you...

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Yes I agree.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 01/05/2008, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
And thanks, but I'm hiding the truth about the tank right now... I think I just kicked the small outcropping of dinos and now I'm going to work on the bryopsis and hair algae Guess I should have cooked all that rock, but I didn't and now I'm paying for it. Hopefully after this round, things settle in!
Congrats on beating the dinos. We just got back from vacation, did New Years in Key West. Found the tank almost completely taken over by dinos. It was lights-out when we got home, so I don't really know how bad it is yet.

By the way, wife really loves her new Rebel XT
She must have taken 500 pictures, the camera was always in her hand.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:24 PM
Carpe Noctem

Sorry, work has been a little crazy, so I have not been on much lately...

Quote:
WOW Those clown shots are incredible!
Thanks Micki! He is a pain to photograph... Wish I had some fishy downers so they would quit swimming all the time

Quote:
Thanks Melev
Old 01/10/2008, 10:26 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by ksouers
Congrats on beating the dinos. We just got back from vacation, did New Years in Key West. Found the tank almost completely taken over by dinos. It was lights-out when we got home, so I don't really know how bad it is yet.

By the way, wife really loves her new Rebel XT
She must have taken 500 pictures, the camera was always in her hand.
Good to hear she is getting some quality practice in before photographing your tanks

Any updates on the dinos? I found keeping the pH up really helps... and I cut the photoperiod back, but didn't do a lights out...
Old 01/10/2008, 10:29 PM
Carpe Noctem

Decided to break the camera out for a bit and after about 300 blurry pictures, I found a couple that were not too bad... Nothing spectacular, but I really wanted to share an update of some type

Figured I would start off with the side of the clown that I normally have no trouble getting into focus:

A few more clown pics:

Devil's Hand finally starting to bounce back from nearly being killed by shrooms:

Last edited by Hop; 01/10/2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:31 PM
Carpe Noctem

A gorg that came in as a hitchhiker on a live rock about 4 years ago. It never grew until this tank. The 8" piece was blown somewhere I have three of these little outcroppings going now:

Monti:

And the Tricolored Acro:

Thanks for looking
Old 01/10/2008, 10:46 PM

beautiful shots Hopster!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
Good to hear she is getting some quality practice in before photographing your tanks

Any updates on the dinos? I found keeping the pH up really helps... and I cut the photoperiod back, but didn't do a lights out...
Key West at New Year's was great practice! Lots of "wild life" to photograph. Everything from a Fuzzy Elvis to Cleopatra
Now she's given me a shopping list of lenses she wants. LOL
Of course, nothing from the AE-1 is usable on the Rebel.

The dinos are still here. Since I was away for a week they got out of hand and are now starting to get on the rocks. It wasn't as bad as I thought when I first saw it. I ended up scooping out the infected sand and picked it out as best I could. A bunch came out in sheets and was easily discarded. I soaked the sand in kalkwasser, that killed what was left. So, I'm pretty much back were I started. There is a spot in the back corner I can't reach and I just noticed a spot pop up in the sand that I "cleaned". I haven't shortened the photo period, though I did unplug the 250w MH while I was gone since that's the end where the dinos are and just left the 150w to light the tank. Didn't help much. I may try the 3 days of dark next week. I've tried it before but it didn't seem to do anything. This time I'm thinking of wrapping the tank so NO light gets in.

The new tank is going up in a couple weeks so I'm just trying to keep them from taking over. Going to start over with new substrate. I'll clean off the small amount on the rocks, maybe cook them for a few weeks since it's only two rocks infected so far. The sump/fuge is clean, so I'll use it as is. There is enough sand not infected I'll have plenty to seed the new tank.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:19 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Great shots!!!

Wish I could shoot a macro to save my life
Old 01/11/2008, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Great pics!!

I do not think my tank will ever look that nice!
Old 01/11/2008, 02:00 AM
TRC Leader

Are you sure that is a Monti? As in Montipora digitata? Looks different to me for some reason, with too many bumps.

Does the tricolor have any pink yet?

Excellent pictures.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:57 AM
R I P we miss you...

Great pics Hop!!!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 01/11/2008, 06:59 AM
R I P we miss you...

Quote:

The new tank is going up in a couple weeks so I'm just trying to keep them from taking over. Going to start over with new substrate. I'll clean off the small amount on the rocks, maybe cook them for a few weeks since it's only two rocks infected so far. The sump/fuge is clean, so I'll use it as is. There is enough sand not infected I'll have plenty to seed the new tank.
Here is a thought for seeding your new sand. When I upgraded tanks I used new sand but I put 1 cup full of sand in 2 stockings and tied a knot in the ends. I then laid the 2 stockings in the tank for a few weeks to seed the new sand. Worked great!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 01/11/2008, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

amazing shots hop beautiful i wish my camera could take those pictures
Old 01/11/2008, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is a thought for seeding your new sand. When I upgraded tanks I used new sand but I put 1 cup full of sand in 2 stockings and tied a knot in the ends. I then laid the 2 stockings in the tank for a few weeks to seed the new sand. Worked great!
Thanks Micki. That's exactly what I plan to do. Yes, I read your thread, too

Great pictures as always Hop!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:36 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
beautiful shots Hopster!
Thanks Jnarowe!

Quote:
Key West at New Year's was great practice! Lots of "wild life" to photograph. Everything from a Fuzzy Elvis to Cleopatra
Now she's given me a shopping list of lenses she wants. LOL
Of course, nothing from the AE-1 is usable on the Rebel.

The dinos are still here. Since I was away for a week they got out of hand and are now starting to get on the rocks. It wasn't as bad as I thought when I first saw it. I ended up scooping out the infected sand and picked it out as best I could. A bunch came out in sheets and was easily discarded. I soaked the sand in kalkwasser, that killed what was left. So, I'm pretty much back were I started. There is a spot in the back corner I can't reach and I just noticed a spot pop up in the sand that I "cleaned". I haven't shortened the photo period, though I did unplug the 250w MH while I was gone since that's the end where the dinos are and just left the 150w to light the tank. Didn't help much. I may try the 3 days of dark next week. I've tried it before but it didn't seem to do anything. This time I'm thinking of wrapping the tank so NO light gets in.

Well good luck. I hope yours goes away and then doesn't bring in the next wave like mine did. I'm really thinking that I should have cooked all that baserock I used in the tank so I could have skipped this, but oh well, live and learn.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bax
Great shots!!!

Wish I could shoot a macro to save my life
Thanks Bax... I'm just learning. This round was from playing with the f-stop and exposure. I think I'm making progress, at least in the guessing world

Quote:
Originally posted by Radicaljbr
Great pics!!

I do not think my tank will ever look that nice!
Actually the tank is still bouncing back from a couple algae phases. Rather than panicking this time, I'm going slow and letting the phases go away while controlling what is put in the tank, removal and husbandry. Thank you
Old 01/11/2008, 09:44 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Are you sure that is a Monti? As in Montipora digitata? Looks different to me for some reason, with too many bumps.

Does the tricolor have any pink yet?

Excellent pictures.
Yes, it's an ORA montipora digitata, or at least that is what I paid for I reallt should start documenting it's growth. Although the tips are slowly growing, the portions where frags were taken from the facility have some incredibly fast growing nubs on them

As far as the tri color, yes, it is just starting. I (on my monitor) was able to document the tri as close as I think I've ever come (color-wise for any coral) on this picture:

I hope you can see the pink/purple tied into the coral...

Thank you!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:50 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Great pics Hop!!!
Thanks. I hope your feeling better and becoming self-propelled again

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftanks6
amazing shots hop beautiful i wish my camera could take those pictures
Thank you! I appreciate you looking!

Quote: