Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 01/10/2008, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

RO/DI and TDS of 896

So after using tap water for a number of years I finally decided to buy an RO/DI unit. Got a pretty nice 6 stage 100gpd one. Also came with a TDS meter, thought well I'll test the house water here and see what we come up with. First test came up 896, odd, I thought 250-400 was normal....tested again came up 884. After running the first 40 gallons out and throwing it I made 20 more gallons and retested, thus far I have not gotten any readings under 23. Bought another TDS meter to verify it was not that, same readings. Should I expect any better?
Old 01/10/2008, 05:21 PM
Reef Chemist

The effluent from an RO/DI (or even a DI alone) ought to be 0-1 ppm TDS when not depleted.

What brand?

The high input TDS will lead to faster depletion, but should not make a good unit product poor water prior to DI depletion.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120195002503

I guess I was just assuming that there is only so much it can do before its at its limits. With such a high initial reading perhaps I'll only ever see 23 or so.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:29 PM
Reef Chemist

No. That is true for RO only, but not the DI.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

My municipal well water runs about 850 and my RO out is 6, DI out is 0, on a 4 stage 60gpd unit.
Bob
Old 01/10/2008, 10:05 PM
Team RC Member

Unfortunately you bought a very low quality system, the price should have been an indicator, but you are not the first. With RO/DI you really do get what you pay for and its proven over and over. My tap water TDS is 835 and I get a RO only TDS or 5 to 6 and my DI is always 0. It takes high quality components to produce water like that but any of the reef quality systems found here on RC should get you in the RO only TDS range of 12-15 and DI of 0 or very close to it. Personally I would return that unit telling them you are not satisfied with its results and spend about $160 on a system that is proven to perform. I hate seeing reef hobbyists takne in by false advertising and bogus claims from some e-bay vendors. Its a bad thig but e-bay does not police vendors and their claims unlike those who sell in printed media or on TV or radio wher the Federal Trade Commission makes vendors live up to their claims.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Firsthesitation,
if you can return it go to the sponsor forum, The Filter Guys, or Buckeye, great products, great CS, and info, set you up with your needs and DI and filters 1/2 the price of the on line major suppliers. Sorry, I learnd too, the hard way, but I get 2 for the price of one from TFG's on DI cardrdges now.
Bob
Old 01/11/2008, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

If you are using the post filter drinking water filter, that can actually add TDS back to the water. For reef use remove the final carbon stage and measure right after the DI.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm, K thanks for your suggestions everybody, I've contacted the seller on eBay and I'll see what they have to say. Unfortunately I did not learn about the filter guys until after I already bought that unit. I guess now I really feel like a sucker.

Justdrew - I guess I did not know that about the drinking water stage. I'll take that off later and retest. I just figured it couldn't hurt to have the extra filtration.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:41 AM
Team RC Member

With a TDs of 896 there really is only one RO/DI unit to consider and thats the Spectrapure MaxCap. No other unit on the market has a individually hand tested and guaranteed 98+% rejection rate RO membrane or custom blended DI resins designed for water such as that. It will outperform any other unit available guaranteed. Its what I ended up going with when a normal 75 GPD RO membrane would only get me down to about 15 TDS and DI only lasted 150 gallons per refill. I now get a RO only TDS of 5-6 and DI lasts a minimum of 630 gallons per cartridge for the MaxCap and the SilicaBuster has over 1900 gallons on the very first cartridge and its still at 0 TDS. My savings in DI alone has already paid for the difference in initial cost, not to mention I am getting much better final water quality.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Will have to look into that, initial cost of $350 is a bit steep for me......I spose if it works though.

On the other hand i guess i shouldn't complain about having a TDS lower than 40 since I was putting 896 PPM in my tank for the last 3 years......
Old 01/11/2008, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Getting a used one is also an option. If you can find a reefer that is getting out of the hobby, they may have one for sale at a pretty decent price. I got mine for like $75 and get 0TDS out.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:02 PM
Team RC Member

Take a look here, you can't beat this price for a Maxcap system.

http://www.azseabottom.com/ROMAXCAP.html