Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Question Best Photograph

Ok so i have been trying for years to take some really good photos of my corals like some of the ones here http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=1.

I have tried multiple cameras in multiple modes and lenses to no avail. All images seem to have some blur or looks like an underwater picture.

Am I missing something?
Is there a lighting trick, certain camera mode, or is it just plain Black Magic that gets you a great color high resolution image?
Old 01/03/2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I think it all depends on what settings and what sort of camera you have.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Can you at least play with the exposure and aperture?
Old 01/03/2008, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

i went looking at some of the cameras you guys use today and wow are they expensive...what is a decent less expensive camera for taking tank pics??
Old 01/03/2008, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

What types of cameras and modes have you tried? A lot of the pictures on the thread you mentioned are taken with a macro lens. A few tips if your pictures are coming out blurry: turn off the pumps so things aren't moving around in the tank, use a tripod so the camera doesn't move, and shoot perpendicular to the glass not at an angle with it. But the best advice is to read the manual for the camera and shoot a few (hundred) pictures and find out what works.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

i went looking at some of the cameras you guys use today and wow are they expensive...what is a decent less expensive camera for taking tank pics??
Old 01/03/2008, 07:12 PM
Killer of Giants

I've been messing around with my camera for a while and have been pretty unsuccessful at getting any good pics. A friend of mine was over and had just gotten one of those SLR cameras. It takes digital images, but uses a mechanical shutter.....or something like that.....

Anyway, the pics he took were night and day compared to the ones I took with my digital.

They are very pricey cameras though.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I was wondering about the SLR vs "point and shoot". I have a point and shoot Casio Exilim. It takes great photos of everyday events and such, but when i try to get great fine detail and rich color from a closeup, FORGET IT.

My sister has a digital SLR. I will compare both, but from what capt_cully says i hope i am in for a good show.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

I have had great results with my nikon d40. Great camera for a beginners with digital SLR.

You can get great tank shots but sometimes you have to edits the colors a bit. I can do this on the camera but I usually take it into photo shop and do some quick touch-ups.

To get the really fantastic close up shots people have of zoos and ricordias that show the extreme detail you will need a macro lens.

A good macro lens is going to run no less than 500 dollars.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

I have an old Sony p10. I need to take 30 pics to get one good one. Also I find that even though what I am shooting is dead center, it always seems to focus on some obscure object in a far corner.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

In addition to my SLR i have a point and shoot Canon G6 which takes extremely good macro pictures for the price, much better than the entry level SLR package (body + lens) you can find. IME, for full tank shot it is better to go full manual, make a custom white balance (not always necessary), and of course experiment on different settings to see what looks the best.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lewismw
I was wondering about the SLR vs "point and shoot". I have a point and shoot Casio Exilim. It takes great photos of everyday events and such, but when i try to get great fine detail and rich color from a closeup, FORGET IT.

My sister has a digital SLR. I will compare both, but from what capt_cully says i hope i am in for a good show.
While I don't know anything about your specific camera, I think you will find this is true for the majority of point and shoots. They are made for everyday events and do a good job, however most are not made for the closeup fine detail you are looking for. This is one of the advantages of SLR's, you can change the lens to fit the type of picture you are trying to take.

Logzor-There are several good macro lenses that are less than $500. The two I am looking at purchasing (Sigma 105mm and Tamron 90mm) are both under $500.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

Here's a couple of beginner tricks:
Firstly, use a tripod. You can't beat simply holding the camera steady.
Secondly, use the camera's wait and snap feature. Set it, get the item in focus, and let the camera snap the picture.
Thirdly, turn off all the pumps a couple of minutes before you take pictures, and let the microbubbles come out of suspension, and the detritus fall to the bottom.

Hope this helps.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

As stated above and also alot of people photoshop their pictures to make them look better when in all actuality they do not....