Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

I've seen different opinions on this. Wondering if I can put a Sedra 5000 on a CS 6-1. I think the pump it originally came with (Sedra 3500) is kinda weak, truth be told, and would like to try and get more performance out of what is otherwise a well-built skimmer.
Old 06/26/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

rs100 water level

I followed the recommended water level range of 7" but it seems the bubbles don't have enough reaction time in the shorter height of this skimmer as the recommendations are the same for the for the taller RS80. What level are you guys running your RS100s?

Thanks
Old 06/27/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

I just wanted share with everyone that I've found that the air control valve must be used on the RS100. This may also hold true on other RS series skimmers. My new RS100 has been running for about 2 weeks with very poor performance producing very little skimmate, I assumed it was still breaking in. Today I began experimenting with the valve and found that if you close it about 3/4 way, the skimmer will start creating very dry foam. The difference is night and day.
Old 06/28/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Hey everyone.

Just received my RS80, I must say it looks sweet, I can't wait to get it running.

I'm still building my sump, and I have several questions.

1. Is there a min depth I need to run the skimmer? I know the pump needs to be fully submerged.

2. If I'm reading things right (newb here) I should put a wall under the bend in the outlet? To separate the water entering and exiting the skimmer?

3. I assembled the skimmer tonight, and I'm left with a part. It's a little tube with 2 little tubes sticking out of it. Looks like it's for an air tube to connect to.

Any help with these Q's would be great.
Old 06/28/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tennsquire
I've seen different opinions on this. Wondering if I can put a Sedra 5000 on a CS 6-1. I think the pump it originally came with (Sedra 3500) is kinda weak, truth be told, and would like to try and get more performance out of what is otherwise a well-built skimmer.
i had a cs6-2 that had a sedra 5000 on it, and i liked it pretty well.. it was nowhere near overpowered though. if thats what your worried about then dont worry at all. i now have a cs8-2 that had a sedra 5000 on it that i just sold. i took that sedra off there, and put a modded octo 3000 on it, and OMG!! i loved it. then i did the recirc mod on it, and i now have the skimmer i have been waiting for.
Old 06/28/2007, 11:09 AM
RC Sponsor

Kayak: PM sent
lol..newbs just kidding!
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 06/28/2007, 11:19 AM
Blue

my Sedra 3500 doesn't start back up after unplugging and cleaning. I have to stick my hand over the intake of the pump to jump start it. I have no idea why this works, but it does.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Old 06/28/2007, 11:24 AM
RC Sponsor

New School: PM sent
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 06/28/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

i havent been on this thread since ive gotten my skimmer.

i have had the same problems with my pump and stuf as NEW school has.. I mesed with the pump and it stopped. However my pump even after having the impeellar replaced once has been actin really weird. I prob need to get a replacment pump or have EURo reef look at it .

X.....................................

Click the house for my thread
Old 06/28/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

can someone point me toa link for the "modded octo 3000"

Thanks
-dg
Old 06/28/2007, 01:39 PM
RC Sponsor

easye123: pm sent
Old 06/28/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone put a sedra 9000 pump on the RS135 body. I was thinking of doing so, I am planning on lowering the return somewhat to compensate from the extra waterflow.
The reason I want to do that is because I have a 150g tank, and I think the 135 is undersize. I purchased a RS180 but that body wouldn't fit into the sump. So I am thinking either using the GenX pump that I got from the 180 and put it in or a similar size pump in hope to increase the performance of the skimmer.
Old 06/28/2007, 02:24 PM
RC Sponsor

ddboy: pm sent
Old 06/28/2007, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

I was just wondering if anyone has put an euroreef modded eheim on a rs180 instead of using the gen x 4100. I'm thinking about doing this and just wanted to get some opinions.
Old 06/28/2007, 06:00 PM
RC Sponsor

Yinger: pm sent
Old 06/28/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skwirl
i had a cs6-2 that had a sedra 5000 on it, and i liked it pretty well.. it was nowhere near overpowered though. if thats what your worried about then dont worry at all. i now have a cs8-2 that had a sedra 5000 on it that i just sold. i took that sedra off there, and put a modded octo 3000 on it, and OMG!! i loved it. then i did the recirc mod on it, and i now have the skimmer i have been waiting for.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why ER didn't put the 5000 on the skimmer to start with. I've ordered a pump, and hope it's not $$$ that I could have spent on another skimmer....
Old 06/28/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

I want to say thanks to EuroReef Tec1, for supporting this thread, and answering questions.

I think it shows a lot about a compnay that goes to such lengths to help keep their customers happy.

The next skimmer I buy,(other than my new RS80) will be a euro-reef!
Old 06/28/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

EuroReef Tec 1 your PM box is full.

I have an older Es-6 ( it think), I have been thinking about adding a drain and was wondering if I would need a special drill bit. Is it possible to drill into the side of the cup w/out cracking the cup, if so, how? Thanks in advance.
Old 06/29/2007, 11:12 AM
RC Sponsor

Mr_o98: PM sent and PM box emptied
Old 06/29/2007, 12:31 PM
WRS Member

While it's hard to criticize here, after not having anyone from ER representing on RC for quite some time....

I have to finally mention that it can be quite frustrating to see interesting questions asked, discussed, only to have a final "PM sent" as the solution. Please remember, for most questions being asked here, there are probably a number of people hoping to see some response, whether it is for solving their own problems or just gathering ideas.

Would really love to see open discussions here in this thread where appropriate. Just my 0.02.
Old 06/29/2007, 12:47 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally posted by johns
While it's hard to criticize here, after not having anyone from ER representing on RC for quite some time....

I have to finally mention that it can be quite frustrating to see interesting questions asked, discussed, only to have a final "PM sent" as the solution. Please remember, for most questions being asked here, there are probably a number of people hoping to see some response, whether it is for solving their own problems or just gathering ideas.

Would really love to see open discussions here in this thread where appropriate. Just my 0.02.
I agree. However RC may feel differently.

A while back, IIRC, Jeff was asked to not post in this thread.

I don't know why for sure, but probably because other vendors pay for a forum to discuss user issues, and for Jeff and or ER to use this thread as a medium to discuss their products, its not quite fair to the other sponsors.

This may possibly be why you see PM's being sent.

Jim
Old 06/29/2007, 01:06 PM
RC Sponsor

Jim PM sent

LOL
Old 06/29/2007, 02:31 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally posted by EuroReef Tec1
Jim PM sent

LOL
Yeah, I figured as much....

Cheers Clay, and have a good weekend.

Jim
Old 06/29/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

So far I am completely unsatisified with my RS80. No bubbles in the chamber at all. No foam at all. Was told it might be the magnet. Hopefully the new magnet gets here soon. I hope that is all that is wrong. I have only had it for a week with 0 results. Everyone kept pumping this skimmer up and I am waiting to jump on the bandwagon.
Old 06/29/2007, 04:27 PM
RC Sponsor

hudd PM sent