Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

One is never enough...

I know some people don't like the look of these new HydorFlo deflectors, but the stock Locline and duckbill setup in my 12g AquaPod was pretty sad. I updated the pump in chamber #4 to a MaxiJet 900, and removed one of the teeth in the overflow in chamber#1 to fit the MiniJet 606/HydorFlo mod. There is not a single dead spot in the tank now...and the way I have this tank overstocked, that's a good thing. Let me know what you think. I also want to hear about anyone using a Sapphire nano skimmer.....Thanks.

DualHydor shot:

[IMG][/IMG]

And a closer look at the overflow mod:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01/03/2007, 07:39 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

just go with the FLOW.
Old 01/03/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

how many pounds of rock is that ? looks like less than 8 or so? I just use a 900 in mine with the duckbill and I have GSP blowing in all coreners of the tank pretty good.
Old 01/03/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

I would guess its about 12lbs of live rock. The stock pump in the AP12g was a hot running POS. The MJ900 made a big diff in flow and temp. The mod I did on chamber #1 by blocking all the intake grates and installing the MJ606 and Hydor made surface skimming much better, and flow is perfect....hardly any drifting sand at all.
Old 01/03/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Do you use any splash guard with your hydroflo?
Old 01/03/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

is it better than the maxijet mod in regards to performance? thanks
Old 01/04/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

u have any pics of the insides of chamber #1 n #4?
Old 01/04/2007, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

how many fish do you have?
Old 01/05/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I do not have to use a splash guard with either HydorFlo...it makes the perfect amount of surface aggitation. I think for this size tank it is a WAY better mod than the maxijet mod. I tried one of the new NanoStreams from Tunze....and it turned my tank into a snow globe. The MJ mod puts out about the same flow...so I think there would be the same snow globe problems. I have a WAY overstocked tank...I know....flame away. I am hoping that this flow mod helps with oxygenation, and the next step is a Sapphire skimmer. At this point it would just be easier to get a bigger tank....but I love a challenge!