Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

think about it this way...........
dart $209
om 4 way $359
misc plumbing $100
total $668 and 160w of power draw

wavebox $500 at approx 30w power draw

ive considered getting rid of one dart and my OM copy and just getting two tunze streams.i just dont want or really need to change over plus i dont have the cash to do it now.
Old 09/16/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

That's what I have right now. A Dart for my return, one wavebox one tunze 6000 and one tunze 6100. It's plenty of flow. I have 2 more 6000's. Once I get my aquasurf I will mess with just the streams and I may put my wavebox up for sale.

Chris
Old 09/16/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

you have to keep the wavebox lol just add the streams into the tank with it
Old 09/16/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I think 4 streams and a wavebox is WAY too much for a 120
Old 09/16/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

toooooooo much flow...........NEVER............lol,i guess for a mixed reef it would be pushing it but if all SPS it would probably be fine.
Old 09/16/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
think about it this way...........
dart $209
om 4 way $359
misc plumbing $100
total $668 and 160w of power draw

wavebox $500 at approx 30w power draw
\

If I got a wavebox and a tank over 300 I would have to get the extention part with is another 450ish. How much did it cost you to make those OMs?

And cjgalante if you want to sell that wavebox sometime let me know.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

it would depend on tank dimensions and what you plan to house,but id think you would need to extension on that size tank,then again on that large of a system you have to expect to spend at least 6-7k(probably more) to setup so wavebox plus extension still isnt out of range.for me to make the om copy at my cost is about $150 for everything.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

so when are you going to start producing multiway Checkinhawk water pushers :-) Crafty name too huh. The tank is currently all in the planning process.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

ummmmmmm production.........never...........i really cant do that.1 / i dont think my boss would like it 2 / id probably get sued lol.but you never know mine could go up for sale if i get a wild hair.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

oh I don't know my dad is a patent lawyer, had a case where there was a red dog toy exactly the same as his clients green one, took it to court and got him a patent saying that the green one being green somehow made it a completely new product, despite the fact that dogs are color blind. And my dad wasn't even that good of a lawyer. Well I don't know that i'll even use an OM kinda thinking about the squid or something like that
Old 09/16/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

you know get 3 squids and squid the 2 other sections of the original squid. or something...
Old 09/16/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

problem with those is they cant handle the flow you would need to push,plus they cut the flow down like 30-40%.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

well forget that. Maybe I'll just sit on my thumb and spin :-)
Old 09/17/2007, 10:35 AM
Wife and dog.

Quote:
problem with those is they cant handle the flow you would need to push,plus they cut the flow down like 30-40%.
I second that. I had one on my last tank. It DOES cut flow, maybe even more. Plus like Chris said, it cannot handle a lot. Additionally, there are not solid connections. They are all vinyl slip connections, so there are a multiple areas for leaks and drips.

Chris,

So what is left to finish on your tank? How long do you think until all the madness of building and setting up is done?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/17/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

i just need to finish the hoods woodwork and then stain and clear it,that should be all the work except for cleaning up wires under the stand.of course this sunday is out for me again as my brother got tickets to the bucs game again.
Old 09/17/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

well i just emailed the skimmer maker and told him i need a definate ETA on the skimmer or im buying one elsewhere.i think 6 weeks wait time is wayyyyyyyyyyyy to long,i dont care about the fact that they are a small buisness and have had problems with sick employees.in 6 weeks i could have made 30 skimmers so why cant i get 1 out of them?i keep hearing they are waiting for pumps to clear customs(lol 6 weeks)come on......get real.if i have to purchase a different skimmer i have looked into the ATI bubble masters,they seem to be well built and skim nicely.
Old 09/17/2007, 01:46 PM
Wife and dog.

Quote:
tonight i went back to work on the hood for the tank.i took pictures of almost every step in building out the corners,maybe this can help people out.i still have plenty to do to finish he hood but i feel like i made a dent tonight.

here is the begining of the corners.i used 1/2" ply one piece 7" wide and one piece 4" wide.the 7"piece goes on the front and the 4" on the side.then 1x2 oak strips are nailed to the two pieces of plywood.the hollow areas at the top and bottom get covered by the next pice to go on.

next 1x4 oak is used to cap the bottom of the corners(this caps the hollow areas) all edges get mitered for a nice fit.

next the trim is added in between the 1x2s(small egg and dart style mouldings)

then you can trim out the bottom with large egg and dart mouldings.

here is where i stopped tonight,i did most of the bottom and still need to do all of the top.

Whats left on the hood? Just the doors and a few pieces of trim? If so that doesn't seem all so bad. What are you going to do with your electrical wires? Are you Zip Tieing them or getting wire wrap?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/17/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

yeah i just need to do the trim and fit the doors in,stain and clear then i should be done with the hood.the wires in not sure on yet,once i get my controller ill worry about figuring that all out.
Old 09/17/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

here is a link to the backup skimmer im looking at.i have read from some threads and it seems they work well.if any of you guys or gals have any good or bad info on these LMK.

http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/P...Skimmer_by_ATI
Old 09/17/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

I've been reading a little and those bubble master's sound pretty good. A lot of people seem to be very happy with them.
Old 09/17/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

well i hope it does work good,this is a backup plan.i will order it if i dont get an ETA out of the skimmer maker by wednesday.
Old 09/17/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Have you also checked out something like the DAS EX-3 or something of the bigger Tunze's. They also seem to get favorable nods, in addition to the standards like the ER, etc
Old 09/17/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

ER is out cause i really want a recirc style and i cant pay what they want for it.the tunze im real apprehensive of cause they look wierd(i know its a bad reason)and i havent looked into the DAS skimmers.more research is needed i guess.
Old 09/17/2007, 07:29 PM
Wife and dog.

That is so funny, I was looking at that exact skimmer on reefgeek and was thinking this could probably work for Chris' setup. What I was wondering, is there a skimmer between 200 and the 500 model? You will have 150 display and 50 or so sump. What happens if you incorporate or tie in another tank, ie your clam tank? Do you think that skimmer could be then underpowered? Also, ER skimmers tend to be underrated. Is this the case for ATI?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/17/2007, 07:42 PM
Wife and dog.

UGPM

Always accepting frags!!