Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

cant get rid of diatom bloom

so ive been having algae problems for awhile now...about 3-4 weeks...i know that every new tank goes through it but is it supposed to last this long?...im assuming its diatom but its brown and very long and stringy and grows back like wildfire..what can i do to get rid of it or decrease it?
Old 12/24/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Are you using RO/DI water? If not trust me you need to, if you are what are the tank readings Nitrates? etc...
Old 12/24/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Definitely doesn't sound like diatoms, sounds more like cyano or dinoflagettes – sorry.

More info, pictures etc.. would help.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

i actually just bought 6 gallons of distilled water today to start using...sorry no pics cuz i dont have a camera...nitrites 0 nitrates <10 ppm...i dont have an ro/di unit yet so thats why i have to buy them water
Old 12/25/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

use this ro/di water every time even for top off. you should see a difference in a week or so, depending on you tank size.

Sometimes it helps to keep it cleaned off the glass and improve your flow/current. Especialy near the bottom of the tank.

Lucky
Old 12/25/2007, 01:56 AM
Broke Reefer...

sunds like dinoflagellates. i am having a a battle against it right now myself. increased flow, lighter feeding, and shortened photo period with increased water changes. starting to work and make a big difference for me. good luck!
Old 12/25/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I think it sounds like cyano to me. Diatoms look more like brown dust. Could be dinoflagellates, but these tend to look more like mucus. However, I have seen ones that look like you describe.

everl0ng: can you post a picture of the dino so J.R.L. can compare?
Old 12/26/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the help guys...ive been doin big water changes with the distilled water and increased flow so we'll see how it works out
Old 12/26/2007, 02:00 AM
Aquarium Addict

Keep doing weekly water changes and things will continue to improve. What salt are you using?
Old 12/26/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Diatoms are normal and that's just fine. Just be patient with it.
Old 12/26/2007, 07:30 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

brown snot?

= dino snot

i get that sometimes when i've been a slouch on maintenance. it seems to show up along with traces of cyano so it seems about the same water quality opportunist as cyano.

[george carlin voice]
now you can't go gettin' yer brown snot mixed up with yer red slime. tell somebody about your raging red snot and they will most likely call 911, then you have some explaining to do.
[/george carlin voice]

you just have to export more nutrients than you import, however you do it, so that the dinos will eventually starve out.
Old 12/26/2007, 08:36 AM
Broke Reefer...

well, i have had my lights off for 3 days now, and i turned them on this morning and say nothing left, so i can't get an accurate picture of it. when i get home from work today i will see if it is back. maybe i can get a good picture then.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Here found this pic of Dinoflagellates online. cyano is much more common however....

Old 12/26/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

what i have doesnt look like that.....so far the algae isnt increasing which is good..usually every morning its back in full...im using Instant Ocean salt btw