Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/26/2007, 09:16 PM

One of my favorite Angels, a Chaetodontoplus caeruleopunctatus also known as the Blue Spotted Angel. I love this fish. I have been looking really hard for one of these and now its part of my family. He is eating brine shrimp and chomped on some mysis. Looks like he goes after the brine shrimp that moves fast probably thinking its alive. Tomorrow I will purchase some live brine and see if this is true.

Old 04/26/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

more pics please

Do you do design as a profession? Or architecture? The way you choose your fish has so much thought put into it....

color, contrast, & balance - it is really cool and has brought me back to this site again

More pics all at the same time would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 04/27/2007, 01:22 AM
g0t fIsH

that baby is sooo sweeet, now thats an angel, great updates edward on your whole setup. nice and clean
(red house for 600gal)
Old 04/27/2007, 05:50 AM

216, thanks for your support. Im not a designer/architect, but when I get passionate about something, I like to make sure its as perfect as can be. I like to challenge myself. I want this tank to come alive with colorful fish and beautiful corals. My last SPS tank was colorful, but not alive (all SPS with 2 fish). Im taking a different approach as I need new challenges.

cbui, this angel surprised me as the Flagfin likes to boss around the Bellus. I for sure thought the Flagfin was going to take action against the new Blue Spotted. When he tried to wag his tail against the blue spotted, the blue spotted would fight back and not run away and hide. He has done this every time and the Flagfin has backed down. Looks like the Blue Spotted is going to be the Alpha fish now. They are both identical in size. He is very active unlike the Meredithi I owned. He is also not shy and walks up to you when you get close to the tank. So far, no agressive quarrels between the Angels. Im itching to add a butterfly, but that is the biggest risk with the soft corals I plan to keep.
Old 04/27/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

All I meant was i wanted to more pics of everything.WHeewww..Man these are some nice fish. Just last year I kept hearing you cant keep any angels with corals(LFS). Sweet fish for a sweet tank..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 04/27/2007, 10:06 AM
clownfish fan

Edward that is a sweet angel your tank must be bringing you much enjoyment now that its finally running.

are you still only running two of the 250w bulbs? have you thought about adding a 20k bulb to the center?
Old 04/27/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I would like to see a video of the Blue Spotted "walking" to the front of the tank. I have had a Bluespotted in the past with great success, until it was stolen. I had thought about finding another one. The last one I got was at a lfs that thought it was a juvi Gray Poma, so I got if for just a couple of dollars.
Old 04/27/2007, 10:50 AM

erics, there's definitely always that risk with Angels. With tangs, there are no worries. If he sold you an Angel and it nipped on your corals, you would be upset. In other words, if you like to gamble, you cant blame the LFS. If it makes you feel any better, when I first introduced the Flagfin into the AQ, it nipped on every single coral. It went after my brain first and then everything else. I was concerned, but didnt panic. I immediately fed him. Since then, I have made sure he has plenty to eat. He hasnt touched a coral since. He passes over them. If you feel you are overfeeding, then target feed the fish with your hand so the food doesnt go all over the tank if you are worried about rising PO4.

GSM, Yes, I am still running 2-250's. I have tried to turn the middle MH back on several times, but I cannot get used to the intensity. It looks so much better with it off and the corals still get plenty of light. I may add a 20k at a later time, but right now its one of my last priorities since everything is just fine.
Old 04/27/2007, 11:35 AM
SpEd Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Tremelle
I would like to see a video of the Blue Spotted "walking" to the front of the tank. I have had a Bluespotted in the past with great success,until it was stolen . I had thought about finding another one. The last one I got was at a lfs that thought it was a juvi Gray Poma, so I got if for just a couple of dollars.
OT, but how did that happen?
Old 04/27/2007, 02:43 PM

hmmm...my wife laughed when I installed a lockable door on my tank room!
Old 04/27/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Hi invincible.

Congratiolations for your great tank, your rock layout it's wonderful and very simple, love it.

Great quality pics

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 04/27/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

First.. Tremelle
That ****es me off me some stealing your fish. It is unimaginable for something like that to happen. You share your knowledge and open your home and some dushbag does something like that. people like that are why some people are very protective, and they have reason. Anyway...Hopefully everyone can get over the bumps in the road and move forward.

Invincible
That make perfect sense. Thanks. I guess I need to remember these are wild animals and they take time to adjust. It is worth a shoot to see fish like that. Honestly myself and a lot of people live there whole life and might never see anything like it. Thats another reason why I feel we should take the time to learn as much possible. It just sucks when one of these little guys die..

Old 04/27/2007, 05:06 PM

sure it was stollen and didn't just die under a rock? I have had 3 fish "disappear" but I a fairly certain they weren't stolen...water is too deep.
Old 04/27/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

John I have been wanting to ask you how do you breed your snails? I am interested in what it take to start up? Its funny I remember in freshwater tanks if you had them they would breed like crazy and almost over take your tank. I was thinking of setting something up.

Old 04/27/2007, 05:49 PM

not too hard for me because of my system size, but there are many snail breeders working with very small tanks. I get that question often and all I can say is that the snails are actually doing the breeding. I did nothing to make it happen other than stocking snails that breed in captivity.

There has been a lot of discussion about whether they will successfully multiply in a system witha a strong skimmer, and I guess I have invalidated that theory. So much discussion about larval tanks etc. but I never used mine and broke it down some time ago. To me, the whole project is a way to steer the hobby towards sustainable animals rather than harvesting zillions of snails off reefs. Imagine how many are sold when most of them die in short order when in captivity!

I have been to distribution companies and was shocked to see how many snails pass through to the hobby. Anyway, visit www.projectdibs.com to learn more. I can tell you that my tank has an astounding number of snails and we will soon be going to stores with them. It takes time, but I think it's worth it.
Old 04/27/2007, 10:02 PM
g0t fIsH

jonathan is taking care of those snails for me, i will be expecting them soon as my tank will be ready...
(red house for 600gal)
Old 04/28/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
tbone, if I remember correctly its 17" long.
Invincible, do you remember how deep it is?
Old 04/28/2007, 01:28 PM

Heniochus Varius butterflyfish, most commonly named bannerfish because of the "feather hat". This fish is eating live brine. I really wanted a pair, but maybe on the next bannerfish purchase I may find some. Heniochus Varius is the species name and usually a hit or miss just like an Angel. It has scrolled around through the corals, but has shown no interest.

Old 04/28/2007, 01:32 PM
clownfish fan

cool fishy
Old 04/28/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

That's an awesome looking fish. I wish I could find such small specimens like you do.
Old 04/28/2007, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Another beautiful fish…
Old 04/28/2007, 05:12 PM

Tremelle, sorry to hear it was stolen. They definitely resemble the Poma's. I wish the Poma that was sick from the LFS would of lived. I really loved his velvet look.

Vistor, thank you very much. I love what you have created too. Not many people can say they have an outdoor reef powered by the moon and the sun.

erics, I agree. It saddens me if one of these beautiful fish dont make it. The Meredithi is one of my favorites still, but it looks as if the place I bought it from isnt the place for my next purchases.

tbone, it should be 6".

And the rest of you, thanks again. This bannerfish is very docile. Hopefully if he strives in my tank, when he matures to an adult, he will grow his horns. That would be awesome! I've definitely closed the door to adding any inverts now because of this species.
Old 04/28/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Heniochus Varius butterflyfish, most commonly named bannerfish because of the "feather hat". This fish is eating live brine. I really wanted a pair, but maybe on the next bannerfish purchase I may find some. Heniochus Varius is the species name and usually a hit or miss just like an Angel. It has scrolled around through the corals, but has shown no interest.

Keep us updated on this guy. I hadn't even considered one because I assumed it would pick on all manner of corals. I guess its just another fish where not many people have tried it in reef tanks.
Old 04/28/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Not to highjack this thread.

The fish was not stolen out of my home tank. I had broken down my tank since I had just sold my house; and had a so called friend, who owns a lfs, hold it for me. I went out of town for a week for work and when I got back I was told my 4" Red Sea Regal Angel and my 4" Blue Spotted Angel had died. About 2 months later I ran into an ex-employee of the store and he told me the owner's wife liked the colors of my fish so she took them home with the owners' permission. Needless to say he finally got what was coming to him when his business went belly up.

So back to the tank at hand.
Old 04/28/2007, 10:42 PM

damn, that is screwed up. I would be totally bent.