Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

it is really good to hear other people are using this water, i just got 100 gallons to fill my new tank and i was hoping it would be fine. I just couldn't see spending $80 on saltwater at the LFS.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:18 AM
I yam what I yam

Went late last night and got 250G. Had a bit of a problem as one of the UCSB trucks was parked right in front of the spigot. Had to scrounge around and find the old hose that I had put on there and someone removed. Luckly I took a flashlight with me. Finally got everything working and filled up with water.

While I was standing around there, I happened to look over at the large trash dumpster. Low and behold, I saw a huge Raccoon climbing up the ladder into the trashcan. He was climbing the ladder just like a human would. Saw him come down the same way. Was a bit funny. Later on he was rustling around in the bushes across from the hose. When I would look for him with my flashlight, he'd stop moving. He never came out to bug me though, luckly.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 11/30/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I cant believe that i just read all 17 pages of this thread. This has been a very good read on free nsw.

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 11/30/2007, 07:41 PM
Network Samurai

Quote:
Originally posted by ckprax
it is really good to hear other people are using this water, i just got 100 gallons to fill my new tank and i was hoping it would be fine. I just couldn't see spending $80 on saltwater at the LFS.
Unless it's an emergency, or you dont wanna drive, there really isnt a point in buying water.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:47 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by d0cdave
Unless it's an emergency, or you dont wanna drive, there really isnt a point in buying water.
I want to move back to santa barbara =(
Old 12/01/2007, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d0cdave
it is about the same distance since i just live off campus so now i only buy my RO water until i can afford my own unit.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone found any sites closer to the Inland Empire/OC ( maybe in the beach cities). Santa Barbara is one hefty drive from Riverside and I would be spending just as much on gas to get there than I would to go get the water...
Old 01/02/2008, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Aren't you closer to Scripps? Or is that about the same drive?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

so lets see some pics of the tanks that are running on this nsw...Im very interested to see the results of this stuff!
Old 01/02/2008, 02:20 PM
Network Samurai

My 26 Gallon Show tank before I took it down:

My 12 Gallon Nano while it was at my last job (now in my garage)

My 24 Gallon Nano (Current)

I also have a 50 gallon reef with a 40 gallon sump in the garage with tons of fish. No current pix yet (too dirty!!)

All have been running NSW since I started the hobby 3 years ago. I have a bunch of sps frags in my 50 and they are thriving.

I store the water for up to 4 months sometimes. No ill effects.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:51 PM
I yam what I yam

Just click on my little red house or look in my gallery.

400 G tank is now 2 1/2 years old set up with NSW. 72G bowfront is about 2 years old and was set up with NSW. 45 hex was transfered into the 72 G bowfront but was switched over to NSW about 3 yeasr before it was moved to the 72.

I have a 8+ year old green pearl bubble coral that spawned in the 45G hex long ago. It now resides in the 400. My pagoda coral is about 7 years old and is in the 400 now. The toad stool that was in the 45 til it got too big is now in the 400 also. I've had it for about 4 years and it measures about 15" across. The frogspawn in teh 45 has been split in half and traded off. It is in the 72 now and about the size of a scocer ball. It too is about 7 years old.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 01/02/2008, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

I've used it for 7 months with no issues. Will post pics later.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:22 PM
Network Samurai

Everyone,

MASVC is planning another tour to UCSB to have a look at their water filtration and their research areas. The tour will be setup for early March. The tour is a benefit of MASVC membership.

http://www.masvc.org/cgi-bin/ikonboa...t=ST;f=5;t=574
Old 01/08/2008, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

ok, i'll join! i really want the tour. maybe we can convince them the let the club members get a little faster feed somehow. that puny 3/8" or what ever size the copper line is, is very slow when you have a few large containers to fill up. it does give me time to get some exercise on the beach though, or maybe a nap, reading or conversation with another reefer.

still using the water. only way i can afford to have a tank is with FREE water.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know of the adverse affects of using Scripps water compared to UCSB? After reading through this article, it looks like UCSB is better quality, being that it goes through the filter then to the spigot, where Scripps goes straight past the filters to the spigot.

Anybody use both, notice a difference? I am about an hour from Scripps, and about 2 hours from UCSB.

[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/48f4i1s.gif[/img]