Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

minijet 404 works well.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

separate mini pumps for each--total set up under a 100 dollars.
You will notice the difference in the clarity of your water overnight

Old 12/27/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

ISn't GFO same thing as phosban or different?
Old 12/27/2007, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drillsar
ISn't GFO same thing as phosban or different?
gfo is the chemical used in phosban and similar products

check septembers thread of the month--its lengthy but very informative on gfo
Old 12/27/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

heres the link:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1182318
Old 12/27/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

What other pumps are people using with the TLF reactors?
Old 12/27/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Im using Mini-Jet
Old 12/27/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
1. GFO = a phosphate removing filter material, basically rust:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

GAC is granular activated carbon. Lots of people run GAC, and I think it's a good idea.

2. Not as far as I know.

3. GFOs can cause the precipitation of calcium carbonate, which would lead to increased calcium and alkalinity dosing.
Awsome,

Thanks for the reply!

BioCube 14
Old 12/27/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

I just ordered TLF Package from JL. It's a complete setup package for 73 bucks including everything you need to get going.
* 1 Phosban 150 Reactor
* 1 Maxi-Jet 400 Pump
* 1 Rowa-Phos 250ml
* 3 Feet 1/2 Tubing

If I want to run a 2nd phosban all I need to do is order a 2nd tube.
Cant wait to get it setup
Old 12/27/2007, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

i use a minijet 404, you want slow flow through the reactor.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:23 PM
clams are your friends.

yeah, use a small pump, like a MJ400 or smaller for the GFO, regardless of tank size. The reason is the GFO needs slow flow to keep it from tumbling and grinding into powder. It also allows for increased contact time with the media.

I set up a double rig, TLF PhosBan media in one and Seachem matrix carbon in the other. Probably the best thing I've ever done for my tank. After two months all the hair algae has disappeared and the water is crystal clear. Looks like the fish are floating in air.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Does it make sense to run a phosban reactor with a fuge set up? I'm wondering if it would impact growth you want (cheato for example) in the fuge.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Leafer
Does it make sense to run a phosban reactor with a fuge set up? I'm wondering if it would impact growth you want (cheato for example) in the fuge.
there are plenty of phosphates and nitrates introduced into the water column every day (fish poop )
Allot of reef tanks have a degree of phosphates and nitrates in the tank even at a low unmeasureable levels.

Last edited by capn_hylinur; 12/28/2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:10 AM
Send money....

Quote:
Originally posted by Leafer
When I started cleaning up my act with relation to type and amount of food I used plus running the PO4 reactor, along with nitrates registering at zero consistently, my chaeto started a steady decline. I eventually pulled it and shut down the refugium, as it was becoming more a source of problems with chaeto releasing phosphates back into the water as it broke down and some buildup of waste in the fuge. I have been running fuge-less since this past summer and I have no algae issues at all in my display.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shooter7
When I started cleaning up my act with relation to type and amount of food I used plus running the PO4 reactor, along with nitrates registering at zero consistently, my chaeto started a steady decline. I eventually pulled it and shut down the refugium, as it was becoming more a source of problems with chaeto releasing phosphates back into the water as it broke down and some buildup of waste in the fuge. I have been running fuge-less since this past summer and I have no algae issues at all in my display.
Shooter7---would that not depend on the function of the fuge?

In my case I have very little flow through it so as to produce a greater number and variety of copopods for the main tank.
My nitrates have always been undectable yet my chaeto is in great shape(I just automatically harvest a few handfuls each week)
Old 12/28/2007, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

this was also discussed in great deal on this thread with regards to mangroves eating themselves out of house and home.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1258496

seems to have made no difference here.

This is a very good question about low phosphate and nitrates having an affect on fuges etc.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
there are plenty of phosphates and nitrates introduced into the water column every day (fish poop )
Allot of reef tanks have a degree of phosphates and nitrates in the tank even at a low unmeasureable levels.
correct every to alot--sorry I should no better then to make all inclusive statements
Old 12/28/2007, 11:46 AM
Send money....

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
Shooter7---would that not depend on the function of the fuge?
Sorry, not sure what you're asking me here. Irregardless of whatever my intended function of the fuge was, my chaeto had been fine for months, but then started turning lighter in color and physically breaking down. The only real reason I had it in the first place was primarily for nutrient removal via the chaeto, so once this was no longer happening, I just made my own personal decision to not run it anymore. Besides, I had it on a shelf above my main sump and I needed the shelf space to set up my new Ca reactor.

I do have a couple of pod eaters in my tank, a scooter blenny and a leopard wrasse, but fortunately, the leopard wrasse will eat just about anything, so neither seems to be suffering from any kind of dietary deprivation without a fuge plumbed into the system.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:51 AM
Send money....

Quote:
This is a very good question about low phosphate and nitrates having an affect on fuges etc.

Back when I was discussing this here on RC, I was instructed to dose iron to help the chaeto. Again, I decided that if I was going to have to dose something to keep algae alive, I was drawing the line there. lol
Old 12/28/2007, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Sorry, not sure what you're asking me here. Irregardless of whatever my intended function of the fuge was, my chaeto had been fine for months, but then started turning lighter in color and physically breaking down. The only real reason I had it in the first place was primarily for nutrient removal via the chaeto, so once this was no longer happening, I just made my own personal decision to not run it anymore. Besides, I had it on a shelf above my main sump and I needed the shelf space to set up my new Ca reactor.

I do have a couple of pod eaters in my tank, a scooter blenny and a leopard wrasse, but fortunately, the leopard wrasse will eat just about anything, so neither seems to be suffering from any kind of dietary deprivation without a fuge plumbed into the system.
I meant that the total amount of the water column passing by the chaeto was very little--about 1/10 the main flow. Chaeto has the ability to trap alot of stuff and use it later esp if the flow is minimal.
Similarily I am running the two reactors on small mini pumps barely cranked open--so their impact on the whole water column would not be that great also

ie bottom line there must be a balance where everything in the water column is contributing to the overall level of dissolved organics--and we know they (doc's) are being produced every day by the fish ect in our tanks. I just can't see one system or the other using up all available nitrates etc in a tank and them becoming in competition with another.
(Protein skimming being the exception--you get some big mother skimmer on your system then you are going to reduce copopods and docs etc to the demise of your fug)

just my thoughts--appreciate discussing this with you
Old 12/28/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Back when I was discussing this here on RC, I was instructed to dose iron to help the chaeto. Again, I decided that if I was going to have to dose something to keep algae alive, I was drawing the line there. lol
if you can find the threads I would appreciate reading them.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:01 PM
Send money....

*whew* Had to go back further than I thought. Time sure flies on the reef. lol

Anyway, here's one that I found. I know there were others, but they may have had other topics at the start and morphed into conversations that included talking about refugiums...at any rate, I'm not finding them right now. I believe the light I was running was ok, but there were further comments about dosing iron, as well as doing more with flow in the refugium. Here's the one I found:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1003978
Old 12/28/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I dont have any experience using one but I put carbon in a media bag, tossed it inbetween a baffle in my sump and it seems to make a difference. water is not yellow and is clearer...

cost me $2 for a bag instead of $50 for a reactor and MJ400...

I'm sure the reactor works better but this is an alternative that I've found results with.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gummi
I dont have any experience using one but I put carbon in a media bag, tossed it inbetween a baffle in my sump and it seems to make a difference. water is not yellow and is clearer...

cost me $2 for a bag instead of $50 for a reactor and MJ400...

I'm sure the reactor works better but this is an alternative that I've found results with.
the reactor forces the water through the media rather then allowing it to go around it like in the bag. In the bag only the outer edge of the media is exposed to the water making a less effecient use of the carbon.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:58 PM
Send money....

As far as one system using up the nutrients faster or more efficiently than the other, to the point of being in competition with other modes being used in the tank, I think it speaks to something that once I put the PHOSaR loaded reactor on the sump, just a few days later I started noticing browning on the edges of the bright green algae I had going. A little time after that is when my chaeto started going downhill. The combo of altering my food and adding the reactor was apparently enough to completely knock out the very resiliant bright green turf algae I had going. As I'm standing here looking at my tank this evening, I'm noting a little bright green on a couple rocks....come to think of it, I believe it IS time to change the PHOSaR out for some new.